"The Lazeria Jam"

GONZO-X

"The Lazeria Jam"

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/the-lazeria-jam

the lazeria studio was a funky place....

around 1981, the band i was in at the time, rented it for 2 weeks, as a rehearsal space for whatever the going rate for that was then.
it was fun, because we had carte blanche to the whole studio all day and night for 2 weeks.

the engineer, used us as guinea pigs while we rehearsed, he'd set up all kinds of mic arrangements and screw around with stuff in the control room, which was big enough for about 3 guys to sit/stand in, and that was it.

it really was 'a control room'….. with the requisite Lava Lamp.
LOL

i remember some really big JBL monitors, don't have a clue what they were.

basically, Lazeria was a long rectangular shaped wide open concrete block building, out in the middle of nowhere....
low ceiling, i guess about 10'.....
"shag rug" everywhere....very dead room…..sounded like you could be recording steely dan records in there.
but the cool thing, was it was wired real smart.....
with snakes strategically placed, separate headphone mixers, lots of booms and lots of gobos...
all the gobos had a carpet surface on one side, wood paneling on the other..and they were on rollers, they were easy to move and position. they were beefy, probably a foot wide. i'm guessing, 6' wide by over my head, maybe 7-8 feet tall.
you could build any size isolation area you wanted....so it was super flexible. You could make it a very reflective space, by using the wood panel sides.

the board this jam was recorded thru was a 15 series teac, into a 85-16 16 channel 1" open reel tape deck...i thought it had a marvelous sound, the playback sounded so clean and sweet.

the guys that ran the studio, had built a bunch of unique one-off mics, basically they gutted different mics of their capsules and transformers, built these big plexiglass stretched-out-hexagonal shapes, and floated the mic capsules with wire, just above the surface of the plexi, using the plexi to 'capture' the sound waves.

my guitar, and the drums, were all captured with one of these weirdo homemade microphones.

later, the engineer dubbed us a cassette of the jam.
don't know whatever happened with the reel to reel tape, probably got re-used.....

honestly,
at this point in my history of playing for fun and for a living,
i'd probably invest in a KEMPER profiling amp, and a decent rig for live volume monitoring,
and call it done, if it were me, starting over.

i'm a tube purist, and have stuck with a really high quality tube amp for many many years now,
but after writing that review,
i realized that for working guitarists,
it was a brilliant piece of work,

and now, years later,
the Kemper is that equivalent for 'purists' of certain tones.

the Axe 11 is another top shelf project.

but for what it's worth,
i will sell my '82 boogie soon.

i will either trade out for a modern lunch box version of what i've had for so long (Mark 5:25),
or build a custom Trainwreck clone, at about 5-10 watts max,
and get a Fender champ.

those two would handle everything i want to do for studio guitar work.

with modern direct boxes , it would be easy to slave those two out to a set of stereo powered monitors for stage work.

that's kinda where my head is at now.

Some really crazy sounds and playing in this. Accessible song? Maybe not.. but it is a wild sounding experiment! So was this a live jam or did you guys do lots of tracks / takes on it? Sometimes there's so much sound I'm not sure if I'm listening to more guitars or just crazy delays. Listened to the whole thing, that picture of the sun is pretty fitting for it too I think.

I would love to put together a small arsenal of high quality, low watt tube amps.. but that boutique stuff ain't cheap!

1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 drum kit, live jam, no dubs, mix was in real time as well.

it went from board to reel to reel, stereo.

pitch transposers, digital delays. that's it.

a pretty honest interpretation of what it sounded like in the control room and in the tracking room

That was great! I love the sound and really enjoyed listening. Makes me want to get back into instrumental jams!!!

That was great! I love the sound and really enjoyed listening. Makes me want to get back into instrumental jams!!!

thanks jim....
yep, i think doing instrumentals helps flesh out ideas that translate into songs.....
at least mine do.

plus, there is a market....

Back