The Lazeria Jam

GONZO-X

The Lazeria Jam

it's a jam. i'm just posting this one for fun.

it's pretty spacey.....

it might do you good to be altered to listen to it.
;)

this i did in 1982 or thereabouts.....
claypool was probably still in wet diapers then.

LOL

this was the engineer having fun, basically 'jamming' along with us.
not my mix at all...... but still fun.

squibble

yes, it was a fun night. lots of hasish.
a bit of wine.
and man, was it loud!!
LOL
bass player was in the booth with the engineer, i was out in the big room with the amp wide open, drummer behind 3 gobos...

you know, lots of folks mention that use of the pitch transposer, and mention steve vai at the same time, but this was many years before he ever hit the scene....
the bass player liked that pitch transposer so much, he bought one for his bass rig.
it sounded awesome live, and i've never heard another unit sound so nice and analog.
it did have some latency, but the sound was so warm...back then, it was like a synth on guitar.

Pass the shrooms....Yea, wow man.....Don't you have a freakin' job!? You post really cool stuff, like, every week! Damn, I'm jealous!!
Good sh*t!! :):):)

THANKS MAXIMUS!
heheh

to be fair, this is a real old recording, i had recently dumped into my daw to cleanup...
so it's not like i'm just going nuts recording 24 hours a day..

man, i wish.

i can barely find 3-4 hours during the week, to either mix or practice, and maybe a couple of hours on the weekend to actually record..
so my output is really slow...

right now, i've got 11 songs in the can, finished, and doing final mix tweaks before mastering...
then i'm releasing my 2nd album.

so, i haven't posted any of the new versions of these songs in a long time, didn't wanna put em out there til i was done.

wais1

heheh, yep, it felt a little crazy.

what would you rap on top of it? subject matter?
you gotta sample?

the lazeria studio was a funky place....
around 1982, the band i had at the time, rented it for 2 weeks, as a rehearsal space for whatever the going rate for that was then.

it was fun, because we had carte blanche to the whole studio all day and night for 2 weeks.

the engineer, used us as guinea pigs while we rehearsed, he'd set up all kinds of mic arrangements and screw around with stuff in the control room, which was big enough for about 3 guys to sit/stand in, and that was it.

it really was 'a control room'….. with the requisite Lava Lamp.
LOL
i remember some really big JBL monitors, don't have a clue what they were.

basically, Lazeria was a long rectangular shaped wide open concrete block building, out in the middle of nowhere....
low ceiling, i guess about 10'.....
"shag rug" everywhere....very dead room…..sounded like recording steely dan records in there.

but the cool thing, was it was wired real smart.....with snakes strategically placed, separate headphone mixers, lots of booms and lots of gobos...

all the gobos had a carpet surface on one side, wood paneling on the other..and they were on rollers, they were easy to move and position. they were beefy, probably a foot wide. i'm guessing, 6' wide by over my head, maybe 7-8 feet tall.
you could build any size isolation area you wanted....so it was super flexible. You could make it a very reflective space, by using the wood panel sides.

the board this jam was recorded thru, was a 15 series teac, into a 85-16 16 channel 1" open reel tape deck...i thought it had a marvelous sound, the playback sounded so clean and sweet.
the guys that ran the studio, had built a bunch of unique one-off mics, basically they gutted different mics of their capsules and transformers, built these big plexiglass stretched-out-hexagonal shapes, and floated the mic capsules with wire, just above the surface of the plexi, using the plexi to 'capture' the sound waves.

my guitar, and the drums, were all captured with one of these weirdo homemade microphones.

later, the engineer dubbed us a cassette of the jam. don't know whatever happened with the reel to reel tape, probably got re-used.....

Back