Lawler and RAMI Rock On...

Timothy Lawler said:
LATIN ROCK w/Rami on drums

Thanks Rami for adding drums to this.

How's the balance between the guitars and drumset?
How's the EQ balance on each?
Any dynamics problems?

Tim

Very Tasty! Love the live drums. Performances on drums and guitars is nothing short of fabulous.

Listening on my PC speakers, so FWIW here are a few things that I thought about while listening:

- love the tone on the lead/left guitar in the upper ranges but on the lower notes it seemed to be a bit thick.

- drums were right on the money volume wise. And that snare...nice...hmmm wondering if that's with the new pre.... The levels are perfect for this style and the rolls/cymbals just right.

- the second lead guitar that brings the lead back in seemed to be a bit lower than the main lead but not sure if I wouldn't bring it up just when it starts to emphasize that part a bit more.

- the balance is great between all the instruments and that's attributable to the panning to a certain extent. I wondered though since the lead was the main part (like a vocal) what it might sound like in the center of the mix. But then you might need some more on the left to balance that off so maybe that doesn't apply in this scenario.

- the rhythm guitar is great as is...

Other than the tiny bit of bottom end on the lead, the rest was perfect - just personal preference mix-wise. Excellent job - this one gets downloaded for sure....

great song guys! I think the eq on the guitar and drums are perfect. The drums are a bit loud for my taste. I grew up on the old chuck berry/chess like stuff, where the vocalist/lead whatever, was way on top, and the bass and drums way in the back. So, don't take my comment to seriously. Walter

WOW!!!!! This is freaking great dudes!!!! Nice!!!!!

Um, balance and stuff....yeah....Tim, did you mix this? Whomever....nice. Yes, I'd say you have a very good balance all around. No peaks, or noisy spots here...Smooth playing all around. Nice Santana style vibe.....I really like it. Very good intereaction between the parts...the sound field was filled up very nicely. What more can I say???
Beer anyone? :D

Timothy Lawler said:
LATIN ROCK w/Rami on drums

Thanks Rami for adding drums to this.

How's the balance between the guitars and drumset?
How's the EQ balance on each?
Any dynamics problems?

Tim

Very nice work all round!

The only constructive criticism I can offer is that my personal preference would be to take a little roundness (lows) off the lead melody line playing guitar, just to give it a little more edge (for the love off a better description I can't quite come up with).

Very soothing Tim and RAMI,

Gorty :)

This is what you would truly call rock. :)

The guitar is just rockin'. The lead guitar tone is pretty priceless. :)

The rhythm playing is nice, playful, and without it the track wouldn't have the same energy.

The drums are very Dire Straits in places especially with the open hats. And that's a good thing. :)

To quote Abe Lincoln, "Party on, dudes!"

Great track guys, I remeber hearing this without real drums before and this was a huge improvement.

Great beats from "Ramster, the mean hamster" :D

Quality axework from Tim.

Now get some bass in there, and voila Woodstock :cool:

Really cool tune, it's just a matter of taste, but I would have added a bit more overdrive to the 'main' lead guitar.. just to add some more of that mellow tone to those double/triple stops.

ido1957 –
‘on the lower notes it seemed to be a bit thick.’
I agree and will try to balance that in the remix.

‘the second lead guitar that brings the lead back in seemed to be a bit lower than the main lead but not sure if I wouldn't bring it up just when it starts to emphasize that part a bit more.’
I’ll check that out. Thanks for the detailed listening ido.

Walter – I appreciate the listen and input Walter. I thought Rami played in a pretty understated way on this to suit the style but the subtle variations he was doing made me want to highlight the part as an equal part of the trio with the two lead guitars.

Jpw23, bigbubba, Nakatira, Fishmed Returns – thanks guys for the kind words

Dogman – Thanks! Rami sent me a stereo mix of his drumset and I did the overall mix.

Gorty – glad you liked it. I’ll fix the lead line low end.

S.Clause –
‘a bit more overdrive’
… I’ll try that out. Thanks.

Tim

Walter Tore said:
The drums are a bit loud for my taste.
BLASPHEMY!!!!! :D :p :)

This was a pleasure to play to. It's all about those guitars, so I laid back while trying to make each "verse" a little different. It was nice to play to somoene else's guitar tones other than mine...what a difference. Thanx alot, Tim. :)

RAMI said:
BLASPHEMY!!!!! :D :p :)

This was a pleasure to play to. It's all about those guitars, so I laid back while trying to make each "verse" a little different. It was nice to play to somoene else's guitar tones other than mine...what a difference. Thanx alot, Tim. :)

This probaly why I never was allowed to mix my music when recording for a label. Your drums are great! Walter

Nice job Tim, Rami. It was very relaxing and a pleasure to listen to. Funny I saw Clapton blow away Carlos last night on a video of Crossroads and now this, life is sweet. Voila or is that Muy Bien!

Well, I'm glad you took our advice and fired the previous drummer on this tune!!!!!

Sooooo much better with real drums, eh?

RAMI, you did a great job playing to this. You chose some nice appropriate beats for it and, as always, played it well.

Mix sounds good, I don't think the drums are too loud here--I can hear every note on the guitars.

Now it just needs some bass to anchor it down. . .

Nice

Hey guys --nice tune.Rami---great to hear you and see you're in top shape.Very tasty guitarring and drumming here.I liked the guitar tone and phrasing---excellent!!
My only nit is there's no bass--but please repost when you add it....Very nice
Good to hear you again RAmi Man!!!!

Thanx alot Dolor. Great to hear from you!!!

In case there's any misunderstanding, I simply did the drum track to this. Tim Lawler wrote it, arranged it, played the guitars, and produced it. Tim's da Man.

I loved it before the RAMI drums and now I am totally addicted to that love!! :D

Why do I think I hear a bass guitar in there? :confused:

Kudos to you both....This is such a sensual piece!!! I have taken my handkerchief and patted the beads of steamy perspiration off of my skin....you guys got me going!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

A little bitta bass'd be ace.
Nice collaboration.
I'm constantly amazed at the quality displayed on this BBS.
I suppose I shouldn't be but I am. I'm making a very nice colection of track for the MP3 player.
When will these pieces be available on disc or wave files in full audio glory?

Well done

Tim/Rami,

I'm digging this big time.

The tune: Tasty! Excellent performances. Love the guitar phrasing, fluid playing style (especialy when the second guitar come in) and overall tones. I also agree with an earlier post in that the rhythm guitar part is performed extremely well and carrying the changes without distracting from the melody. Nice drumming Rami. I really like the way you support the tune and weave in some nice hi-hat work without trying to take over the song. Only negative is I don't like the abrupt ending, would have preferred a slow fade.

The recording: Well balanced. Everything has its own space and very easy on the ears.

Peace,

Bart

Back