Latest song - can I have your opinions on the mix and song?

FattMusiek

This is my first organized song with my Firepod. What do you think about the mix and the song? This is quite different than my one minute metal songs; it's more along the lines of what I'd like to play in a band. This is me on the guitar, bass, and drums. This isn't the final mix so any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Toms are panned unaturally hard left and right. The whole drums sound mightly drummachinish to me actually.

I do like the mix however. The levels seem to be pretty well balanced. I'd try some verb on the drums, they sound mighty dry. And coupled with the drummachinish tightness, it just adds to the unnatural sound of them, regardless of weither you actually trekt them or they are canned.

The composition, well, it's a good start :) But sounds far from finished to me. I get the idea after about 20 seconds, and nothing really interesting happens after that. Try to work more a climax buildup. You basicly have only rythmic and rythmic-melodic material in your composition now. Maybe some melody and harmony parts?

Thanks for the reply Halion! For the longest time I've been stuck with recording four tracks at once, so tom miking is a new thing for me; I'm still getting the hang of it. There's slight reverb on the snare and the toms. The drums are tracked, I assure you. I'm still getting used to the huge difference of my new gear. The song is pretty unexciting, isn't it? Maybe with some vocals it would catch people's ears...

Anyone else have any comments?

Well, on a side note: your timing is pretty damn tight :)

Try panning the toms inward a little more, and up the verb on everything.

indeed, the toms, a little more to the center,
very good timing on the drums, wow, can't do that myself !
the ride sounds so soft.. i'd try to pull the sound of the overheads a bit up,
i like the guitars, nice panning, the sounds are pretty nice too,
just the overal song could use a little more overall brightness

i like the way you put the "bass" in the song, not the bassguitar, but overall low frequency, you can turn this song up way loud and doesn't sound annoying,

i like the snare and kicksound, soft, suits the music,
but i think the song will sound a bit better if the overall volume could be a bit louder.... but hey, thats me, i'm used to listening to rammstein and stuff :o

you got more music online?
would be great if i'dhear something with vocals on,
curious for more, thats a good sign

but this doesn't sound finished yet, the composition yes,
but the sound... pump it up alittle..

my 2cents

Like the riffs and the way the bass tone matched up with the guitars tone.

Again toms panned too hard.

Also its best IMO to pan the high tom to the side where the hi hat rests.
In this recording they are on opposite sides which sorta of geeks the real kit feel.

Yeah...nice and tight. As mentioned, toms are panned too much. I am hearing a constant hiss throughout the mix...not sure where that's coming from.
Other than that, it sounds pretty good...enjoyable tune.

Back