Last track of new release ... "Feeling Low"

K-dub

10 Feeling Low by Who We Are | Free Listening on SoundCloud

New version by my new band. Although I wrote it, we brought in a new singer ... and I think he's got the right timbre for the material. I kind of liken it to Daltrey of The Who. I cannot imagine Townsend singing all his own material.

This was recorded in my upstairs. I had the drummer behind closed doors with eight mics in the drums. Bass guitarist with drummer (direct). Guitarists (2) in control room. Vocal was tracked after instrumentation (overdub)

Kick: Audix D4
Snare: Blue e100
Hi hat: Rode Nt2
Rack toms: Sennheiser e604s
Floor toms: Sennheiser e604s
OHs: Mxl 603s

Bass: Direct
Elec guitar: Fender modeling amp stereo (direct)
Rhythm guitar: Line 6 pod (direct)

Piano: Soft synth (Kontakt 5 Grandeur)
Organ: Soft synth (NI B4II)
Assorted soft synth pads

Mixer (soundcard) - tracked straight to DAW (Sonar): Soundcraft UI24

Mixed in Cakewalk Sonar (Free to members of Bandlab)

Yet to add: Background vocals

Reason not yet added: Coronavirus sequestering.

Hope you like!!

Kev-

The new bloke is pretty damn good. Got a bit of Jim Morrison going on. Tasteful reverb. So you recorded everything live (piano etc.) except the vocals? My only nit is during the quiet bits the toms resonating makes the snares rattle. Also the rhythm guitar on the right from 6.00 seems to be gasping for air. Mix is nice and open, great clarity. Good jam

The new bloke is pretty damn good. Got a bit of Jim Morrison going on. Tasteful reverb. So you recorded everything live (piano etc.) except the vocals? My only nit is during the quiet bits the toms resonating makes the snares rattle. Also the rhythm guitar on the right from 6.00 seems to be gasping for air. Mix is nice and open, great clarity. Good jam

Hey K!

Yeah ... you should hear Keith do Morrison. Another one he does well is Fogerty. He's got that smoky tone to his voice. I posted up a couple videos in the vid section here. One of them (Brown Haired Girl) has the band performing in it.

Absolutely correct on the snare rattle during the drum solo feature of the piece. I wonder if I can mute the snare during that and eliminate it. Good catch, and I'll look into that. I brought the guitar on the right (which I play) up a little more. I'll look further into its level. I actually do jump back and forth between the keys and guitar in various sections of the piece - and this was played and tracked live in one pass on the music bed. I've still got background vocals to add.

Thanks for checking in, bud! Hope all is well!

Really good job! Drums sound excellent and everything sounds in line and not too harsh. I like the bass tone but had times it sounds like one of those keyboard/organ bass sounds. I think might just be whatever effects you having going one it. Also I hear the snare rattle too but I don’t think I would mute it. Maybe just automate down 6-8db so it’s still there...it would be there live right? Great vocals too, I did hear a couple “p-pops” though. Great job overall!

Really good job! Drums sound excellent and everything sounds in line and not too harsh. I like the bass tone but had times it sounds like one of those keyboard/organ bass sounds. I think might just be whatever effects you having going one it. Also I hear the snare rattle too but I don’t think I would mute it. Maybe just automate down 6-8db so it’s still there...it would be there live right? Great vocals too, I did hear a couple “p-pops” though. Great job overall!

Hey B!

I totally missed the splosives. Thanks for the heads up. The trouble w/ the rattle (as I looked into it after Keirnan's comment) is that it's in the overheads ... and Frank's hitting his cymbals in the solo - so the sound is fairly baked into the kit. Oh well ... that's what the kit sounds like . :D

Off to fix some pops!

Back