The Last Solo Acoustic Guitar

Toonsmith

I've decided to put this on my first acoustic CD project and would like to know your honest opinions on the tunes composition and the guitar playing. With the understanding that it will be recorded over for various reasons.

So if you can spare the time to take a listen it would sure be appreciated. The song is called -

Little Habanero

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks Geet. I thought I'd put off posting in here for a couple of days to give members a chance to listen and reply, but alas, no more takers. But I had to leave a thank you to you for taking the time to listen. Glad you liked the tune. :cool:

i enjoyed that very much toonsmith, very slick playing. In fact i would be hard pressed to pick out a fuck up. One suggestion would be to take down the Bass EQ a bit and just see how it sounds. I felt the bass was a bit strong but overall a good sounding diddy.

That's freaking sweet. I think the low mids are okay since there's nothing else in the mix..it's not popping my speaks or anything.

Yeah, that's good stuff.

Great sound and piece dude :)

I want that kind of sound, but I think I'm hearing expensive recording gear and an expensive guitar ;)

Thanks for all the replies. I thought I had screwed up real bad when no one was listening. :D

Minofifa - I have that bass sound in all my songs, and I think I found out why. I use a heavy medium thumb pick and I believe it's causing the bass strings to sound more bassy than they should be. I've fixed that by sanding the picks with a palm sander so I'll try recording again. To the naked ear it does sound a bit less boomy than it did before.

G-string - Thanks man. I'm afraid bongos are out. I just like the sound of the acoustic without all the other trappings. Well, maybe with some strings.

Chris - As always your opinion carries a lot of weight. Thanks for the kind words. The bass does'nt sound really to bad to me either, but I've heard alot of comments by others who have critiqued my music say it's a little to much.

Halion - Expensive gear? Well the guitar is a Taylor 710. Delta 66, and 2 MXL67 mics. That's it.

Thanks once again for everyone who listened. I sure appreciate all the input and honesty of the members on this site.

Not a super kowledgeable guy about gtrs, but I would like to know about teh body, etc. could you describe and what kind of strings.

It soundss tad pinched in the mids for my taste.

Otherwise no complaints here. I Like the playing. Nice expression on the strings. Sorta reminds me of Phil Keaggy in a way (the fingering)

great playing, but i found the reverb to be tedious. either vary it or do something to it. maybe try a real room, or something, i don't know, but it's driving me nuts.

More replies. Thanks guys!

Bryan - The Taylor 710 is a dread. I use D'addario EJ17 (mediums) phosphor bronze. I used to use lights but I did'nt like the way the higher open strings sounded. While the wound strings sounded fine the steel strings sounded to tinny to me when recording. Phil Keagey huh! I think you're pulling my leg on that one. :D

John, Jay? - The reverb is Sir and I can't seem to figure out how to get Sampleslide into my Logic program. I think what is irritating you is the latency problem within Sir. I frankly hate it myself the way it is. I've asked how to fix it in the computer forum so I'll go there next and see if anyone answered. If I find I can't use it I'll try another reverb like the Ambience plug in.

Nice playing! That's a great tune!

I thought it was a little bass heavy as well. I've got a 710 as well and it's got a reall solid bass response. It sounds great live, but tends to come through too much when recording. I have to roll way off everything below 100Hz. I also try and keep the mic away from the soundhole.

Ambience is a nice reverb plug although it is a HOG.

By Phil Keaggy I meant the emotion. I have all of his early stuff (back in the 80's) and loved his expression.

Cracked lid - Thanks for the comments. Yeah the 710 is a bit bass heavy is'nt it. And your right when you say it sounds great live. I try to keep the mics pointed almost toward the seventh or eighth fret and out in front of the guitar about 18 to 24 in.. Still getting to much bass. Tried compressing the bass with a new song and it does sound a little better.

Giles - Ambience does sound pretty good but seeing that I'm only using it on one stereo track for solo guitar it's not to much of a strain on the computer. If you liked the emotion in this one I think you might like some of the newer stuff I've done. To me emotion is the primary focus in my writing. Most of the time if I can't find it I'll just discard the piece and move on.

Thanks again.

great, mellow tune! i wish i could play like that... :P

mix sounds fine to me, maybe a bit muddy, but what do i know?

like your other stuff, too..

ZIM

Zim - Happy you liked this tune and the others. As stated before, I think most of my problems right now is with the Sir reverb. The mud as you call it and some of the, shall we say, to much bass response. Thanks for the listen. Have to go check your stuff out when I'm over at Soundclick next time.

To let everyone know, I've tried the Ambience reverb plugin with several of the other songs and this one too. It does sound a little better without the latency bounce and a little rolloff of the bass. Thanks again for listening and all the insightful thoughts. I sure appreciate it! ;)

Last edited:
Nice

TOONSMITH i enjoyed it i love the way it sounds though tward the end listening to it then seeing the comment the reverb was noticble but great recording for the money you spent

Thanks King. Happy you liked the tune. I'm working on the reverb now. Hope to have a new version up in a couple of days. Been working on a Alternative piece I wrote on guitar but using nothing but synths. Should be interesting, 'cause I've never done something like this before. :D

Muddy? Too much bass? Nah, i think its great.
Apart from that reverb that spoils it. It sound like an echo rather than a reverb at times. Maybe too big a pre delay.
I hear some gliches at the start of the track, kight be my system though.
Nice playing man. I might try and see if i can play a few licks from it cause its good.

Back