Lady Policeman

Cool guitar riff. I like the groove swap at around 2:00. awesome job on the vocals. great voice. I am jealous. "submit to a strip search six times a day"? awesome. I also listened to a measure of salt. great tune! cool structure. I dig the classic rock/contemporary (imo) feeling on both.

Great Job!:D:D

Wow...nice one guys. This is sounding pretty damn good. Great guitar and bass tones...very cool. Nice vox man...really nice. Only nit I have is the kick....seems it could have more boom in this song. You've got a nice snare and tom sound, but the kick seems to be missing depth.

Song structure is cool as always...I like it. :cool:

Very nice, indeed!
Nice vocals/harmonies. Sounds like the Beatles or something, which is a very good thing.
I'm with Dogman on the kick. But, having said that, the sort of dry, not-in your face sound kind of fits this tune. What were you going for?
To me, the overheads seem a little mono-ish sounding . The crashes seem to have a nice spread, but the ride and hats seem to sit square in the middle, sort of one dimensional sounding. I would like to hear a larger stereo spread, but this is just my preference.
I guess I would like to hear more of that sweet room you built, a little more 3-D in the overheads... a little less of the digi-verb on the hats maybe.
Nice Ampeg grunting bass sound.
During the breakdown in the middle, the guitar is panned so far right, I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me, because there is nothing to focus on there... while the percusion thing might be what you are trying to feature, it seems a little muted, or low in volume to focus my brain on.
Overall, nice work, very very nice work. You should be proud! I'm just trying to find stuff you could improve on, because you asked. It's kind of hard to do though...Bravo! Sounds like a pro-job.

Peace!

~Shawn

(Lady Policeman- notes as I listen)

Vocals have quite obvious compression which doesn't really seem to fit the mix that well... but other people seem to like it.. they sound like they might have been tuned aswell?

Guitars + bass sound quite good. Perhaps guitars could go up very slightly overall. Bass not my preferred sound but that's obviously quite subjective. Drums and Bass get in the way of each other a bit in the low mids.

Drums have a very 70's sound, I actually quite like the kick for this song.. feels like the snare and drums in general could use a little more hi-end.

Some moments sound very professional

Bongos don't sound very good in relation to the drums, in my opinion. Far too distant in comparison.

The vocal level in the section with the distorted guitar seems too high in comparison to the rest of the song.

I'd have liked to hear more of a stereo image too, especially with the guitars.

Hammond at end rocks, fills it out very nicely.

Overall very nice, sounds great.

I like the bass drum.
Excellent riff. At times I wished for a wider image but that may be psych suggestion due to the previous comments.
The beginning of the change with the hard panned guitar might benefit from either more vol on the guitar or a parallel on the other side.
Lovely chiming guitar sound !
Hammond is ace, structure is ace the developing texture towards the end work REALLY well.
I think you new room works!
I'll have to listen with h'phones but I didn't hear any autotuning.
As usual, I LOVE your vocals Casey - tone to phrasing to lyrics -LOVE IT.

Wow...nice one guys. This is sounding pretty damn good. Great guitar and bass tones...very cool. Nice vox man...really nice. Only nit I have is the kick....seems it could have more boom in this song. You've got a nice snare and tom sound, but the kick seems to be missing depth.

Song structure is cool as always...I like it. :cool:

Thanks, dood. The drums definitely need work. I'm going to try to get Greg_L to help me figure out phase relationships.

Very nice, indeed!
Nice vocals/harmonies. Sounds like the Beatles or something, which is a very good thing.
I'm with Dogman on the kick. But, having said that, the sort of dry, not-in your face sound kind of fits this tune. What were you going for?
To me, the overheads seem a little mono-ish sounding . The crashes seem to have a nice spread, but the ride and hats seem to sit square in the middle, sort of one dimensional sounding. I would like to hear a larger stereo spread, but this is just my preference.
I guess I would like to hear more of that sweet room you built, a little more 3-D in the overheads... a little less of the digi-verb on the hats maybe.
Nice Ampeg grunting bass sound.
During the breakdown in the middle, the guitar is panned so far right, I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me, because there is nothing to focus on there... while the percusion thing might be what you are trying to feature, it seems a little muted, or low in volume to focus my brain on.
Overall, nice work, very very nice work. You should be proud! I'm just trying to find stuff you could improve on, because you asked. It's kind of hard to do though...Bravo! Sounds like a pro-job.

Peace!

~Shawn

Thanks, Shawn - we'll remix this weekend and try your reccomendations.

(Lady Policeman- notes as I listen)

Vocals have quite obvious compression which doesn't really seem to fit the mix that well... but other people seem to like it.. they sound like they might have been tuned aswell?

Guitars + bass sound quite good. Perhaps guitars could go up very slightly overall. Bass not my preferred sound but that's obviously quite subjective. Drums and Bass get in the way of each other a bit in the low mids.

Drums have a very 70's sound, I actually quite like the kick for this song.. feels like the snare and drums in general could use a little more hi-end.

Some moments sound very professional

Bongos don't sound very good in relation to the drums, in my opinion. Far too distant in comparison.

The vocal level in the section with the distorted guitar seems too high in comparison to the rest of the song.

I'd have liked to hear more of a stereo image too, especially with the guitars.

Hammond at end rocks, fills it out very nicely.

Overall very nice, sounds great.

Thanks, Concrete_Lake. I appreciate the listen. We'll try remixing the drums this weekend, as mentioned above, and check out your suggestions for vocals and percussion as well.

I like the bass drum.
Excellent riff. At times I wished for a wider image but that may be psych suggestion due to the previous comments.
The beginning of the change with the hard panned guitar might benefit from either more vol on the guitar or a parallel on the other side.
Lovely chiming guitar sound !
Hammond is ace, structure is ace the developing texture towards the end work REALLY well.
I think you new room works!
I'll have to listen with h'phones but I didn't hear any autotuning.
As usual, I LOVE your vocals Casey - tone to phrasing to lyrics -LOVE IT.

Thanks Ray - getting my ears around the room is a daunting task. Everything sounds different.

Bad ass. Reminds me of Styx.

Nice performances and great vocals!

:D

Thanks, dude. David K agrees with you, I'm sure. Out of curiosity, is my voice the styx trigger for you, or is it the arrangement/instrumentation?

You guys rock. Thanks.

David K agrees with you, I'm sure. Out of curiosity, is my voice the styx trigger for you, or is it the arrangement/instrumentation?

Definitely.:D Its the vibrato on the vocals, the range, the inflections. Not so much the music although I would consider it in the same "genre". You have a terrific voice, its more melodic than most, just like Mr. DeYoungs.

Very nice track. Somewhat strange too, lyrically.:D Production sounds great, nice and clear. Not much to criticize, just an enjoyable listen.:cool:

Thanks Ray - getting my ears around the room is a daunting task. Everything sounds different.

I don't have much to add to what's been said - I will wait for the re-mix to comment on the mix. I will say though, it took me a while to get used to my CR when I re-did it, so I understand your sentiments completely. :)

Definitely.:D Its the vibrato on the vocals, the range, the inflections. Not so much the music although I would consider it in the same "genre". You have a terrific voice, its more melodic than most, just like Mr. DeYoungs.

Don't let it scare you, but I agree, totally. :D ;)

I'll also add that the recording itself sounds very "classic rock" to me. No, I have no idea what that means, but that's what I think. :o I have very untrained ears, so I can't point out why I think your mix matches the genre and time period, but that's how it "feels" to me.

And, I'm not calling your recording "dated" or anything like that, I'm just saying that if you told me you recorded this 30 years ago with the same engineer and in the same facilities as Styx, I'd believe you. :D

Just an overall good sound, imho.

Lol. Yeah, it is very classic sounding stuff. It's my preference, and it's also kind of tounge-in-cheek. I like the period stuff.

/shrugs/

Super tune - excellent sounds and recording... I agree with a few of the comments...:)
- that spot where the vocals seem a tiny bit loud
- there's a bit of a lull where the far-panned low volume guitar plays Although it doesn't always need to be the same volume.
- there is a similarity to Styx vocally, and you have one of the best voices I've heard.

Again, super tune, great writing and performance. :cool:

didnt read thro the comments so far but ...drums sound boxy ...in fact the whole mix has got a tendancy to boxiness ...some might call it analouge but its alittle too much ...

but its a great piece...loads of song dynamic ...whats the guitar ..sounds like ricki......

oh..that drum roll sounded a little apolegetic ...really hard to comment but the whole thing could do with tigntening up....on the desk.

Dunno why but the Revolver album reminds me of this.

Song and performance - super
Arrangement - ditto
Mix - every instrument/vox track sounds like it's on a different level of recording quality than previously. I'm hearing none of the high freq edge that sometimes was in earlier tunes on cymbals and gtrs. Perhaps the mix overall could have more in the +3 kHz range.

Last edited:
didnt read thro the comments so far but ...drums sound boxy ...in fact the whole mix has got a tendancy to boxiness ...some might call it analouge but its alittle too much ...

but its a great piece...loads of song dynamic ...whats the guitar ..sounds like ricki......

oh..that drum roll sounded a little apolegetic ...really hard to comment but the whole thing could do with tigntening up....on the desk.

It is a Rickenbacker 360-12.

Please, if you can find the time, can you elaborate on what you mean by boxiness being analogue? Is it a distortion you are hearing? Or a general sound of comb filtering you would expect to hear in a small room?

And what do you mean by apologetic? IHNI.

How do you tighten something up on the desk?

Thanks!

-Casey

Dunno why but the Revolver album reminds me of this.

Song and performance - super
Arrangement - ditto
Mix - every instrument/vox track sounds like it's on a different level of recording quality than previously. I'm hearing none of the high freq edge that sometimes was in earlier tunes on cymbals and gtrs. Perhaps the mix overall could have more in the +3 kHz range.

Thanks, XLR. We're getting to know the Distressor, the Great River, and the room. Thanks for the tips.

I think I'll record a little drum segment and post in the drum forum for critique. I have so much to learn.

I'd bet that the biggest change you'll have re tracking and mixing in your new room is that the high end will sound sweet-bright rather than have the harsh-bright tone that small rooms tend to impart on a track. That was my experience.

Which GR pre do you have?

I have so much to learn
I respect that approach in every way.

Last edited:
Agh! You guys have ruined LPC for me with all these Styx comparisons...I swear if I'd heard any Styx-like sounds I wouldn't have been able to shut down Media Player fast enough.

I think it sounds great.

Maybe more boxy and less spacious overall than some of your other stuff I've heard, but still phenomenal. Love the lyrics, the vocal performance and the keyboard sounds throughout.

You must next record the most non-Styx-like track possible to cleanse your image.

Back