Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lady Policeman

Thanks

Lady Policeman

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys - this is the first song we've recorded in our new room. Trying to get a handle on how things sound. As always, we're interested in your thoughts as to what works and what doesn't. Please don't hesitate to let us know if something sucks.

Incanus is playing the guitars and bass, I'm singing and playing drums and keys.

Lady Policeman
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...d=4563&alid=-1

Thanks
    Cool guitar riff. I like the groove swap at around 2:00. awesome job on the vocals. great voice. I am jealous. "submit to a strip search six times a day"? awesome. I also listened to a measure of salt. great tune! cool structure. I dig the classic rock/contemporary (imo) feeling on both.

Great Job!

Thanks
    Wow...nice one guys. This is sounding pretty damn good. Great guitar and bass tones...very cool. Nice vox man...really nice. Only nit I have is the kick....seems it could have more boom in this song. You've got a nice snare and tom sound, but the kick seems to be missing depth.

Song structure is cool as always...I like it.
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

Thanks
    Very nice, indeed!
    Nice vocals/harmonies. Sounds like the Beatles or something, which is a very good thing.
    I'm with Dogman on the kick. But, having said that, the sort of dry, not-in your face sound kind of fits this tune. What were you going for?
    To me, the overheads seem a little mono-ish sounding . The crashes seem to have a nice spread, but the ride and hats seem to sit square in the middle, sort of one dimensional sounding. I would like to hear a larger stereo spread, but this is just my preference.
    I guess I would like to hear more of that sweet room you built, a little more 3-D in the overheads... a little less of the digi-verb on the hats maybe.
    Nice Ampeg grunting bass sound.
    During the breakdown in the middle, the guitar is panned so far right, I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me, because there is nothing to focus on there... while the percusion thing might be what you are trying to feature, it seems a little muted, or low in volume to focus my brain on.
    Overall, nice work, very very nice work. You should be proud! I'm just trying to find stuff you could improve on, because you asked. It's kind of hard to do though...Bravo! Sounds like a pro-job.

Peace!

~Shawn

Thanks
    (Lady Policeman- notes as I listen)

Vocals have quite obvious compression which doesn't really seem to fit the mix that well... but other people seem to like it.. they sound like they might have been tuned aswell?

Guitars + bass sound quite good. Perhaps guitars could go up very slightly overall. Bass not my preferred sound but that's obviously quite subjective. Drums and Bass get in the way of each other a bit in the low mids.

Drums have a very 70's sound, I actually quite like the kick for this song.. feels like the snare and drums in general could use a little more hi-end.

Some moments sound very professional

Bongos don't sound very good in relation to the drums, in my opinion. Far too distant in comparison.

The vocal level in the section with the distorted guitar seems too high in comparison to the rest of the song.

I'd have liked to hear more of a stereo image too, especially with the guitars.

Hammond at end rocks, fills it out very nicely.

Overall very nice, sounds great.

Thanks
    I like the bass drum.
    Excellent riff. At times I wished for a wider image but that may be psych suggestion due to the previous comments.
    The beginning of the change with the hard panned guitar might benefit from either more vol on the guitar or a parallel on the other side.
    Lovely chiming guitar sound !
    Hammond is ace, structure is ace the developing texture towards the end work REALLY well.
    I think you new room works!
    I'll have to listen with h'phones but I didn't hear any autotuning.
    As usual, I LOVE your vocals Casey - tone to phrasing to lyrics -LOVE IT.

Thanks
    Bad ass. Reminds me of Styx.

Nice performances and great vocals!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Wow...nice one guys. This is sounding pretty damn good. Great guitar and bass tones...very cool. Nice vox man...really nice. Only nit I have is the kick....seems it could have more boom in this song. You've got a nice snare and tom sound, but the kick seems to be missing depth.

Song structure is cool as always...I like it.

Thanks, dood. The drums definitely need work. I'm going to try to get Greg_L to help me figure out phase relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by eyema_believer View Post
    Very nice, indeed!
    Nice vocals/harmonies. Sounds like the Beatles or something, which is a very good thing.
    I'm with Dogman on the kick. But, having said that, the sort of dry, not-in your face sound kind of fits this tune. What were you going for?
    To me, the overheads seem a little mono-ish sounding . The crashes seem to have a nice spread, but the ride and hats seem to sit square in the middle, sort of one dimensional sounding. I would like to hear a larger stereo spread, but this is just my preference.
    I guess I would like to hear more of that sweet room you built, a little more 3-D in the overheads... a little less of the digi-verb on the hats maybe.
    Nice Ampeg grunting bass sound.
    During the breakdown in the middle, the guitar is panned so far right, I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me, because there is nothing to focus on there... while the percusion thing might be what you are trying to feature, it seems a little muted, or low in volume to focus my brain on.
    Overall, nice work, very very nice work. You should be proud! I'm just trying to find stuff you could improve on, because you asked. It's kind of hard to do though...Bravo! Sounds like a pro-job.

Peace!

~Shawn

Thanks, Shawn - we'll remix this weekend and try your reccomendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete_Lake View Post
    (Lady Policeman- notes as I listen)

Vocals have quite obvious compression which doesn't really seem to fit the mix that well... but other people seem to like it.. they sound like they might have been tuned aswell?

Guitars + bass sound quite good. Perhaps guitars could go up very slightly overall. Bass not my preferred sound but that's obviously quite subjective. Drums and Bass get in the way of each other a bit in the low mids.

Drums have a very 70's sound, I actually quite like the kick for this song.. feels like the snare and drums in general could use a little more hi-end.

Some moments sound very professional

Bongos don't sound very good in relation to the drums, in my opinion. Far too distant in comparison.

The vocal level in the section with the distorted guitar seems too high in comparison to the rest of the song.

I'd have liked to hear more of a stereo image too, especially with the guitars.

Hammond at end rocks, fills it out very nicely.

Overall very nice, sounds great.

Thanks, Concrete_Lake. I appreciate the listen. We'll try remixing the drums this weekend, as mentioned above, and check out your suggestions for vocals and percussion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rayc View Post
    I like the bass drum.
    Excellent riff. At times I wished for a wider image but that may be psych suggestion due to the previous comments.
    The beginning of the change with the hard panned guitar might benefit from either more vol on the guitar or a parallel on the other side.
    Lovely chiming guitar sound !
    Hammond is ace, structure is ace the developing texture towards the end work REALLY well.
    I think you new room works!
    I'll have to listen with h'phones but I didn't hear any autotuning.
    As usual, I LOVE your vocals Casey - tone to phrasing to lyrics -LOVE IT.

Thanks Ray - getting my ears around the room is a daunting task. Everything sounds different.

Quote Originally Posted by mwthompson View Post
    Bad ass. Reminds me of Styx.

Nice performances and great vocals!

Thanks, dude. David K agrees with you, I'm sure. Out of curiosity, is my voice the styx trigger for you, or is it the arrangement/instrumentation?

You guys rock. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercreep View Post
    David K agrees with you, I'm sure. Out of curiosity, is my voice the styx trigger for you, or is it the arrangement/instrumentation?

Definitely. Its the vibrato on the vocals, the range, the inflections. Not so much the music although I would consider it in the same "genre". You have a terrific voice, its more melodic than most, just like Mr. DeYoungs.

Very nice track. Somewhat strange too, lyrically. Production sounds great, nice and clear. Not much to criticize, just an enjoyable listen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercreep View Post
    Thanks Ray - getting my ears around the room is a daunting task. Everything sounds different.
    I don't have much to add to what's been said - I will wait for the re-mix to comment on the mix. I will say though, it took me a while to get used to my CR when I re-did it, so I understand your sentiments completely.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.

Thread Information