Label worthy?

What do ya think?

• Awsome. Nobody has signed this band yet?

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Great. Good for MY STEREO!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OK. Good for soundtrack or party.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Poor. Don't quit day job.

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

endserenading81

I am new to recording. I mostly want to know how my songwriting is in the pop world. This isn't my main style of writing, but people always tell me to go this route, cause it's good. I need more opinions. I would appreciate it if anyone would hear, what I think, is a real toe tapper. Sorta sounds like Promise Ring, here's the link> http://www.garageband.com/artist/robgomez/songs
Be honest, I need it.
Thanks,
Rob

can't stream the song from your page. also when i try to download it, widows says it doesn't recognise the file type

It works

You of course just gotta have Real Player, and it does take alittle while with a slow computer. I tried it on my slow comp, and it didn't go at all. With my fast comp, right away. So please try again, as I haven't gotten one opinion in 5 days since posting the song.
Thanks,
Rob

I liked the song. Didn't sound all that tight in my opinion though. I think the sound could be very good if the lyrics pulled me in some but I couldn't really hear them.

Ron

Lyrics are largely unintelligible, buried by way overdone snare. Overheads are weak, can't hear crash, ride, hihat at all. Lead vocal is characteristic of bad punk, all over the place, every note in existence except the ones that are on the scale. Backing vox are much better, and using reverb/delay on them, and leaving the lead vocal dry is a good idea. Rhythm guitar is nasty, which is good. Bass is OK, but lacks punch, and needs to be mixed up. Is it label ready? Of course. I hear stuff that bad on the radio every day. Would I buy it? Not unless the lead singer finds out about the 12 tone scale, and the rhythym guitarist stops trying to play lead.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Lyrics are largely unintelligible, buried by way overdone snare. Overheads are weak, can't hear crash, ride, hihat at all. Lead vocal is characteristic of bad punk, all over the place, every note in existence except the ones that are on the scale. Backing vox are much better, and using reverb/delay on them, and leaving the lead vocal dry is a good idea. Rhythm guitar is nasty, which is good. Bass is OK, but lacks punch, and needs to be mixed up. Is it label ready? Of course. I hear stuff that bad on the radio every day. Would I buy it? Not unless the lead singer finds out about the 12 tone scale, and the rhythym guitarist stops trying to play lead.-Richie

Yep, what he said

what he said?

what he said? what HE...!!!? Just kidding, I totally agree. You see, I recorded this on my friend's system when I had no choice. He never spent much time on my recordings. Everything in one take, and 5 minutes mixing. NO MASTERING! Now I have my own system, and plan to record the song again. Part of the reason why I wanna know what you guys think.
Thanks,
Rob

almost forgot

I am more interested in criticism about the song itself, cause I already know the production is bad. The song structure could use alittle work too, but I whipped this up pretty quick. Just want to know what you think of the SONG, before I work on it more and make it official.
Thanks,
Rob

Re: almost forgot

endserenading81 said:
I am more interested in criticism about the song itself, cause I already know the production is bad. The song structure could use alittle work too, but I whipped this up pretty quick. Just want to know what you think of the SONG, before I work on it more and make it official.
Thanks,
Rob

Then you are in the wrong forum.
This is the MP3 "Mixing" clinic....

This is where you ask about the quality of the recording.
Try the songwriters forum for opinions on the writing.

Honestly, to me, this kind of music was bad 20 years ago. Its still bad, just my opinion, I know lots of people like it.

The overall performance needs more work, I mean practice so its tight. You can get away with some sloppy playing live, but rarely on recordings. Listen to some of your favorite punk bands and listen to how they mix the music, then try to copy that mix. Get the bass and drum playing together and tight and the rest will follow.

Back