Korn Cover - please help me achieve a bigger tone - 6 heavy guitar tracks

Dylan S

Hey guys,

I'm back after a trip I went on with my Dad for a while which was totally awesome.

Anyway, I've recorded a Korn cover for something a bit different, as all of the mixes I try to achieve are sort of tight death metal kind of mixes, and now I'm trying to get a big, umm, sort of lose but still good tone kind of mix.

As I said in the thread title, the heavy rhythms are 6 tracks of guitar. It's really hard to get a bass tone for Korn out of my toneport but I think it sounds kind of ok. The good thing with Korn songs is you can have the bad bass noise and it sounds good! Well maybe...

Could you please throw me some ideas to get the mix sounding as big as possible? Like, really in your face but not in a harsh way.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=817513

Tell me what you think.

It's all Cubase SX3 with EZdrummer (DKFH samples) and my C7 hellraiser tuned to A standard, and my yamaha RBX375 bass.

It works fine for me.

Having listened to it now, the way it was compressed when it went to mp3 sounds a bit annoying. The guitars sound a little quiet and the toms on the drums sound a bit bad, but whatever. All be fixed soon enough.

DAMN! I am impressed! I think I like your guitar sound better than the original. The whole mix sounds really separated, though. Almost as if everything is panned way too far out. The drums could use some (more) compression and possibly a bit better EQ on the highs (cut 'em a bit). The bass isn't bad. It definitely fits. Maybe try cutting some of the mids out if it (the bass). Also, it needs some vox. So yeah... Bring the mix a bit closer together, compress the drums and cut the highs on 'em, too. The bass... Eh... What ever you decide would be cool, I guess.

Thanks man. I will try those things.
The guitars are panned like this, which I am not sure makes sense or not. I have never really experimented with 6 tracks before.

100L, 66L, 33L, 33R, 66R, 100R

I wonder why it isn't working for some people here.

It is working for everyone else I have been showing...

UPDATE

I re-did the whole thing but left both versions on the soundclick for comparisons sake.

Tell me what you think. :)

...sorry, this file can not be found.

Please go to our homepage
or
search soundclick.com for defa...?bandID=817513

I think using 6 guitar tracks is not the way to go to get a big guitar sound. Use the whole "Less is More" approach to recording. I record alot of metal and for me all I need are two rhythm guitar tracks hard panned. It also really depends on the guitar tone you are using. Try to get something without too much bottom end, because generally that "in your face" sound you're after comes from the bass as well. That being said, I do like the recording, just try strip it back abit in terms of the rhythm guitars, too much starts to overload the sound and make it sound very messy.

Back