KISS - Rocket Ride - listen and critique please

Don't remember ever hearing this song. Sounds like it was done professionally. :confused: I've heard a lot of great recordings in the MP3 clinic but this really does sound like it was done in a studio 30 or so years ago.

Keep posting your songs. :cool:

danny.guitar said:
Don't remember ever hearing this song. Sounds like it was done professionally. :confused: I've heard a lot of great recordings in the MP3 clinic but this really does sound like it was done in a studio 30 or so years ago.

Keep posting your songs. :cool:
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate that. :)

This was one of the 5 studio recordings on side 4 of the "KISS - Alive II" double live album and the only one of those 5 that Ace was actually present for.

Balanced mix, hot performance. It'd be nice to have a big crescendo during the long rising chromatic lines from 2:03 to 2:20.

Timothy Lawler said:
Balanced mix, hot performance. It'd be nice to have a big crescendo during the long rising chromatic lines from 2:03 to 2:20.
Thanks a lot. :)

That part you mentioned is supposed to sort of build up to the solo - I guess like a "rocket" getting ready "launch". I just played it like the original.

Thanks for listening. :)

Greg_L said:
That part you mentioned is supposed to sort of build up to the solo - I guess like a "rocket" getting ready "launch".
I got that. I think that more of a change in level, beyond just the layering of the gtrs during the rising line, would be effective there just from an objective musical standpoint -nothing to do with the original KISS recording.

Timothy Lawler said:
I got that. I think that more of a change in level, beyond just the layering of the gtrs during the rising line, would be effective there just from an objective musical standpoint -nothing to do with the original KISS recording.
Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah that is a good idea. Maybe I'll play with that some. Thanks. :)

I listened to this up to the first chorus, so I can only comment on that much. But the first thing I noticed was that the mostly-constant phase shifter on the rhythm guitar that was on the original is missing, and that was part of what made that song kinda decent.

But your voice was made for doin' Ace covers! :cool: ;) :)

MadAudio said:
I listened to this up to the first chorus, so I can only comment on that much. But the first thing I noticed was that the mostly-constant phase shifter on the rhythm guitar that was on the original is missing, and that was part of what made that song kinda decent.

But your voice was made for doin' Ace covers! :cool: ;) :)
Thanks for the feedback.

I used a mild flanger on the main riffs, but not during the verses. I also used a very mild envelope filter on 2 of the guitar tracks. Maybe I need to tweak it a little more. Since you know the song, listen all the way through if you don't mind and tell me how the solo sounds. I tried really hard to get it right. :o

Greg_L said:
Thanks for the feedback.

I used a mild flanger on the main riffs, but not during the verses. I also used a very mild envelope filter on 2 of the guitar tracks. Maybe I need to tweak it a little more. Since you know the song, listen all the way through if you don't mind and tell me how the solo sounds. I tried really hard to get it right. :o
Will do. I have Alive II on vinyl. :eek:

Nice job man...I don't recall teh original, but this sounds a bit like something Kiss would do, so you got that vibe going. Nice playing as always....I hate your guts... :p
Nice vox....they sound good in this mix...reminds me od some stuff from the era this would be from. Nice tone on that solo. Fits well.

Greg_L said:
I'm a big fan of the Ace-sung KISS songs, so I did my favorite one.

"Rocket Ride"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=639137&songID=5272000

Any mix/performance comments/critiques/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Greg. :)

I'm a big KISS fan as you know, especially Ace!

The only critique I have Greg, seeings as you asked for it is the ending guitar lick at approx 3:29-3:40 is a little askew.
However the solo is great....NICE WORK.

I ain't gonna mention anything about the mix because I love Ace's tunes the most as well and you have done a very neat job of replication here!

I saw Paul Stanley in concert last nite. Just thought I would let ya know! :D

I'm not a Kiss fan, but performance and recording is top notch, as always. I can't wait to hear the Motorhead tune your working on.

Cheers!

Dogman - Thanks a lot. You don't have to hate me though. :p

Travis - Thanks bro.

Gorty - Thanks man. I was kind of hoping you'd catch this since you're in the KISS-army too. :p I didn't have any tabs or anything for this song, so I just sort of wanked my way through that little end lick. I couldn't figure it out exactly, so I just tried to get it close. Ace is too good for me. :cool:

Rokket - Thank you very much. :)

Polska - Thanks man. That Motorhead tune is still a long way off. :o

Back