Killing Time

DM60

Killing Time

I am wondering about the bass area. All of the systems I have tested sound fine, but it seems on a couple of systems the mix could have used a little more thump. Rather than chase it, I figured you guys could sort me out.

Your comments are appreciated.

Second Mix
Killing Time-2
Third Mix
killing-time-4

Last edited:
I don't know if it needs more bass - just a quick listen with cans on my mbp, but it's got a lot of stuff going on in the mids. If the bass needs thump, I'd look at the kick, but you'll need to make some room somewhere I think.

Hyped high end, muffled low end, result is very grating. That high pitched synth sound is making things worse. Am I hearing clipping?

I like the groove. I think the drums need to be a lot more prominent and drive the song along. Pretend you've got John Bonham pounding away behind the kit and mix it accordingly

I don't know if it needs more bass - just a quick listen with cans on my mbp, but it's got a lot of stuff going on in the mids. If the bass needs thump, I'd look at the kick, but you'll need to make some room somewhere I think.

In the mid frequencies or in the middle?

Hyped high end, muffled low end, result is very grating. That high pitched synth sound is making things worse. Am I hearing clipping?

I can only figure the cymbals and the synth as really contributing to that as not much else added to that area. I kind of went back and forth on the synth, not not too surprised by that comment.

Yea, Kind of having a hard time with the low area. The kick is a cajon and getting to sit right is a struggle.

I like the groove. I think the drums need to be a lot more prominent and drive the song along. Pretend you've got John Bonham pounding away behind the kit and mix it accordingly

I will on work those. I only have splash, HH's, snare and cajon. I think the snare works pretty well. I might have too much sizzle in the overheads.

I only have splash, HH's, snare and cajon. I think the snare works pretty well. I might have too much sizzle in the overheads.

In that case the cajon needs to anchor it like a kick.
I think you're spot on with the rhythmical emphasis you've got, just need to make it more prominent

I like the groove but there is a lot going on in the mids that could be tamed, also lots of instruments competing with the low end. . I agree that I'd work on the kick rather than the bass, which i can hear fine. Good groove though. good luck

I like the groove but there is a lot going on in the mids that could be tamed, also lots of instruments competing with the low end. . I agree that I'd work on the kick rather than the bass, which i can hear fine. Good groove though. good luck

Yea, I think I know where I went wrong. I was running a mix through my reel to reel to try and get some drive and I think it back fired on me.

Thanks for the listen.

After listening to your comments, I went and did a revisit.

I was trying an experiment with my reel to reel and it didn't work as intended. Taking that part out cleared up a lot of issues with the mix.

Killing Time-2

Thanks for the comments and the listens, really helped.

Still getting the feeling that a hyped high end is dominating the mix. Do you have some sort of plugin that's exaggerating the top? The low end and vocals still sound muffled. I would suggested going back to raw tracks and remixing this from the bottom up.

Still getting the feeling that a hyped high end is dominating the mix. Do you have some sort of plugin that's exaggerating the top? The low end and vocals still sound muffled. I would suggested going back to raw tracks and remixing this from the bottom up.

Going back and reviewing all the tracks. Not using any effects on this mix. I went and turned down some treble in the guitars, pulled down some highs in the vocals and reduced cymbals on the drums. I am not hearing the hype like you must be, but trusting what you are saying.

On the bass, I switched out tracks, versions up to this point was my neighbor's version using finger style, I put my version back in using pick, which is more pronounced.

Before I post anew version going to wait and see if others are hearing the same thing if there are any other issues.

Thanks for the feedback.

In V2, the bass doesn't really sound 'with' the rest of the instruments - like it was added after everything else got mixed and compressed, I think because it's all low/mid-lo, no high end to it whereas everything else is very bright..

In V2, the bass doesn't really sound 'with' the rest of the instruments - like it was added after everything else got mixed and compressed, I think because it's all low/mid-lo, no high end to it whereas everything else is very bright..

I agree with the comments on the bass after reading the comments and going back and listening.

I think I am getting close, I still can't hear the harsh highs (from Robus), but reducing a few areas in the upper areas to make sure.

Thanks for the review.

Hey Neighbor! I like the song. Its right in the groove of stuff I usually hear from you. As far as the mix....I am not hearing the high pitched issues, but that high synth does seem to stick out too much, but it may be because I can't hear the vocals all that well. I think they need to come out a little more. Not a fan of the drum sound/tone but they do seem to fit the song. Good job!

Hey Neighbor! I like the song. Its right in the groove of stuff I usually hear from you. As far as the mix....I am not hearing the high pitched issues, but that high synth does seem to stick out too much, but it may be because I can't hear the vocals all that well. I think they need to come out a little more. Not a fan of the drum sound/tone but they do seem to fit the song. Good job!

Thanks man. Really would like to hook up with you sometime. Hopefully we can get together sometime. I am always looking for people who can drum... ;)

Working on the next mix, getting the vocals in place and sorting out EQ issues.

Once again, thank you for the listen and the feed back!

Third Mix
killing-time-4

I think I've gotten it sorted out. Unless there is anything glaring, I think this turned pretty good thanks to the feedback.

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back