Just Walked Away

GONZO-X

an updated version.

questions:
kick
bass guitar

is it dialed in on your playback system?

spacy middle section (3:34):
too busy?

Typing as I'm listening...

Vocals seem a bit distant.

I like the panning on the guitars and the tones.

Bass is a bit indistinct for my tastes, sounds kind of like a Precision with dead strings, not much attack on the notes.

I like the kick sound!

Toms sound panned a bit wide.

Overall I like it a lot!!! Nice work!!!

Great!
About 2/3rds through....after the breakdown....sounds like the mix is subdued [level]...then picks back up. Intentional?

Very nice stuff - great arrangement & feel - really enjoyed the "fanciful" break at the middle. I'm assuming this was done with sampled drums - they sound great, & are arranged really well, but this "boogie" type feel is just crying out for real drums - that would absolutely seal the deal for me. Great job!

LDS
thanks for listening!
hey, you're not with those mormon guys are you?!
LOL
(hey, i live in salt lake city, i can't help it....)

well, the toms, i tried to spread all the way across.
in the cans, it's a little funny (no more so than 90% of current hard rock mixes that use L-C-R) but in a home stereo setup, it's very distinct.
the amount of spread in the cans seems to depend on how much of the overheads and room mic i bring in as well.
i'll experiment with that.

pure fusion
great man, thanks for listening

bjorg
appreciate it.

jeffmaher
yep, that mix is brought down, for a little breather. i tried keeping it full up, but the drums just poked thru too much, so i automated the level down there, and back up.
maybe too much? i'll tweak that.

fhumble fhingaz
thanks for listening.
this was an toontrack EZDrummer track. it's a midi program, that triggers pre-recorded individual drum hits. i can do anything with the midi data i want, so i bring in loops that i audition in the program, and then edit them. almost none of them are straight out of the box. it's tough to find a decent drummer that will work for free!
LOL

LDS
thanks for listening!
hey, you're not with those mormon guys are you?!
LOL
(hey, i live in salt lake city, i can't help it....)
LOL! Not even close. It's shortened from Low Down Sinner, the way the singer used to indtroduce me on stage when I played bass for a group called The Sinners.

Cool song. I thought everything sounded pretty good to me (from the way I compare to other things, really still learning my equipment). I really liked all the guitar soloing in the song. That's some great guitar playing.

Bass is a bit indistinct for my tastes, sounds kind of like a Precision with dead strings, not much attack on the notes.

I agree here, sounds like maybe the low mid freq's are muddied just a tad. If you used a compressor on the bass, I would try to set the attack slower maybe 50 ms or a little slower. This may bring out those notes a little.

This is a very good song, and those leads are done well, good use of the wah pedal:)

SQUIBBLE
THANKS man.....
glad you're diggin' that tone.

lds
LOL that's what i thought..
but i had to ask.
low down sinner, i like that.

trumpino1
thanks for listening. i like the soloing too, i think it adds a lot of harmony indirectly to the vocals in places, but some folks think it's too much soloing!
heheh
hey, i play guitar, what can i say? would a real producer edit all that shit out? i don't know, maybe, maybe not.

gordyjamz
bass sound indistint.... yeah, could be. i play with my fingers mostly, but i'm looking for an old school classic rock bass sound, it's round, and fat, but no treble. i'm still trying to dial it in.
i may try tweaking the high end on the channel eq to see if that brings out what's already there.
i might have rolled it all off.

the wah: yep, when you start trying to ape hendrix, it's a good wah lesson. hehe

classic stuff, great tone on the guitars, especially at the beginning...and the whole things is stuck like 20 years ago in a good way..

Id still have the vocals up a bit more....the backings great as well, really captures it

The guitars are the stand-out on this for me. The bass is in the pocket, too.
The mix sounds really good to me. Vocal performance is stellar. Drums sound great. This sounds really good...not much else to say.

Holy crap! The vocals just entered, and I swear I'm listening to Vince Neil of Motley Crue! Wow... Even the harmonies are very Motley Crue'ish...

Yeah... This is just awesome. Very, very well done.

Just listened to Dr. Feelgood midst your song, and man... The resemblance is striking. Your drums are bit more poppy, while Tommy Lee's drums sound much bigger.

Wow.. Very interesting break-down. Yeah, I'm digging this. A lot.

Bass and kick are nicely done. If anything, the kick needs a bit more slap to it, is all - but it's well-done as is.

Cheers to a song well done!

kcearl
thanks so much for checking this out.
i'm still on the fence on the vocals, they just seem almost too loud for me, already!
LOL
i have so much influence from the early 70's style of vocal mixing, more from the hard rock side, maybe the buried the vox more with the band because they weren't all that good....!
heheh, but that's kind of how i hear my mixes, with the vox more blended with the rest of the band...
like the vocal is just another melody instrument, to blend with the guitars and bass....

ksounds
it was fun tracking guitars for this.
it's a riff i've been playing for years, but had never done anything with.
the original beat, was more like AC/DC's 'back in black', but when i tried it, it sounded too derivitive, and i tripped across the shuffle beat by accident, it just kinda fell into place.
thanks again.

poetic
great man, glad you dig it.
i never really listened to motley crue, i know they were big, but were never really an influence....
it's interesting the parallels that can happen, even by accident.
kick, more slap, check.
i don't know much, but i know how to do that!!
LOL

Back