Just need a couple of opinions

Headphones here. Great clarity on everything. Vocalist has a good voice, the verb is nice. Vocal sits real well over the heavy guitar, a very pleasing combination. Drums sound good. The only nit I have is the toms - they're so tight & dry... I prefer to hear them breathe a little. Hardly worth mentioning in the context of the whole thing. Hot song. Great job on the mix

Really nice work! The guitars sound great throughout, and the vocals are generally spot on. Love the Iron Maiden vibe! :cool:

Instruments work well together.

I'd try the cymbal bells more centered. When I close my eyes and hear a solo cymbal, I think of it in front of me with the bell in the middle, splashes and crashes off to the sides.

The vox have way too much reverb IMHO, especially in the beginnin, it's so noticeable that it's like you are introducing it :) Maybe trying a different verb and easing into it, working up to a climax or something.

The song kinda drags especially in the beginnin. Maybe pickin up the tempo would help.

Other than that your mixing sounds great as usual :)

Cool song Chris. To me, it seems the bottome end builds up a bit at times. It doesn't distort or anything like that, but detracts from the voice. Just when it gets rockin. It seems to get a bit muddy. Not as clear as I'd like.....(might just be personal preference there....) Good guitar tone, nice bass. They both seem to have good space, and sound. To me, when it builds up, it seems a bit muddled. Everything is still heard, but not as clear as other stuff you've done.

But, nice tune man. I think the voice could be a bit drier, but again, that may not be what they want. It's a great voice, and when it's quiet, being drier would have a better impact, on me at least.

Allrighty,

I took all of your suggestions (and good ones they were, thanks!) and applied them in a way i saw fit.

I believe the new result is a greatlly improved mix here folks!

Thanks again, i love this place.

Much better! It lets the emotion in the vocals stand out instead of the verby effect......

NL5 said:
Much better! It lets the emotion in the vocals stand out instead of the verby effect......

I totally agree!!

I had to wrestle my singer to let me remove some verb.

Funny...once i did it, she loved it!

Dude...MUCH better!!!!! Way much better!!!!! I still would love to hear it with the music brought down a notch or two, and the vocals left the same...Just my preference. I love the music, but this is one of those tunes that begs for vox to be the focal of. Again, a small nit, strictly from a listeners perspective. The music kicks ass. Well mixed, and lots of dynamics. But with those vocals, it would not hurt the song to have the voice a bit more prominent, and the music slightly quieter. Not too quiet, but more even.

Now, to a second thing.....why would she want so much verb??? She has a killer voice, and the power is all there. I would think she would want it to be as much a part of the tune as any instrument, and too much verb will make any cool guitar, or bass sound like ass. The vox are very cool. Unique, but not way too far out there. Maybe some insecurity in the voice....
Anyway, this smokes man. Small nits from me, but hell, you need em. If we all say it's too cool, you won't work very hard... :D

xfinsterx said:
I had to wrestle my singer to let me remove some verb.
Funny...once i did it, she loved it!
I hope you enjoyed it too:)

The song sounds much tighter now and has lost the dragginess just from backing off the reverb, hmm go figure.

The vocals seem to get a little lost with the distorted guitar. Maybe addin a wee bit of verb to them or backing off a little more on the voices during that section would bring her voice out front enough to satisfy that weakness Dogman is hearing.

The harmonies are more pronounced now too, nice work.

Back