just mixed this tune

I thought the mix was fine man. Levels and sound. The performance is ok. I heard a little train wreck after the breakdown...coming back into atempo and back in to the hook. Speaking of the hook...I thought the vocals needed to be wet. I would double the vocal track...maybe slide it a bit too, and put some serious delay on them. Maybe harmonize in the hook also.
As far as your songwriting...well...IMHO...it was very predictable..rather formulaic. That C#m, A . E shit has been done a million ways...It's hard to find melodies strong enough to use that progression and still sound original. But hey, that's why we have chocolate AND vanilla. We don't all like the same things.
peace

I must say I didn't care for the mix.... it sounds very much like a rough demo.

The snare sounds completely out of context with the rest of the kit - as if you recorded the kit in two passes - one without the snare, then one snare only.

And sorry to say - the vocals are really a very weak spot, both from a performance and a sonic perspective. Sonically, they are thin and reedy-sounding, often buried in the mix.

Guitars tracks kind of just sitting there in the mix, without any sense of depth or space.

Read more on tracking techniques and practice them.... you'll get there!

Here I go again, agreeing with Blue Bear...

However, here's a thought... Try running your drum tracks (as a stereo group is more than just a stereo drum machine on this) through a verb unit - BARELY up - Just something to simulate a little "roominess" - not a concert hall - One of those settings that you really don't notice it until you mute it. That might make the kit a bit more cohesive. Bringing the snare down a bit wouldn't hurt either...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

hey guys, thanks for replies and apologies for the length of time taken to reply.

firstly, yeah, i pretty much agree with the vocals are very much a weak spot. everyone i've shown it to has said this. and i probably will start apply stuff like reverb and doubling the vocals to it becuase i think it is a little dry.

i will also change the snare sound too. mabe one with a little more resonance or something.

hey big blue sound, you seen to know what you're talking about, and you've commented a few times on my tracks, with the same comment - what do you mean when you say the guitar tracks has no sense of depth or space?

have you got a clip of some of your songs that maybe could give me an aural example of what you're talking about. i've read your own articles on your website, and it has really helped with my mixing and EQing by the way so thanks for that.

Back