just joined nowhereradio, please review some of my stuff

see, there's not too much to say about the mixes except that they're not mixed;
- about the composition - I'd like to hear more alternation in harmonies..
- the biggest problem seem to be the vocals wich are seriously out of tune - but, I like the timbre of your voice, and I'm sure that with some vocal exercises you could soon reach a decent technical level!
cheers and good luck!

I listened to the first one. Well.... It's really not my kind of thing. For me, if it's just going to be one guitar and some vox, I'd like to hear the guitar actually playing something. It just doesn't strike me as really being a song. I'ts just two chords. Then when it changes it's just two other chords. I'm not trying to be mean at all here. It just seems like the guitar was like an afterthought or something, and you really didn't try to make it work with the vocals. I can't really tell if the vocals were in the same key as the guitar part.
But then I have no room to talk really, since I don't even have the balls to sing on my songs. Keep playing.

Whore Song-You got balls...that's the worst piece of crap I eva heard.It was funny for like 2 seconds,then it wasn't...Why did you post this?I like songs that dis girls but this isn't even well thought out or witty.And not for nothing...you coulda got a better take.

yeah, the whore song is pretty shitty, i just had to fill some room on nowhere radio for now before i put some decent stuff into mp3. yeah, my friend feel's the same way about it as you WISC. I'll admit it, it is a piece of shit. The other one, well it was live and I was going all "emo" for it, and i really didn't care how well the vocals were in tune cuz my vocals never are unless i over dub about 30 times.

oh and what's timbre of my voice? i'm still not into all of these "technical" terms.
thanks for your help

kylosius said:
oh and what's timbre of my voice? i'm still not into all of these "technical" terms.
thanks for your help

"Timbre" is one worth learning. It refers to the tone of your voice, but it's broader than that. It's sort of like the total sound content, usually when talking about a single instrument.

Anyhow, don't let the negative comments discourage you, but maybe wait until you have something you really want us to hear before posting again.:)

Listened to Can't Be Left Behind. Nice guitar playing. Can't comment too much on the recording quality since it was live and I don't know what equipment there was to work with.

Decent music. Lyrically.... well.... Decent music :). I like the tone of your voice, but there are some pitch issues.

Then listened to Whore Song. Did you know the volume jumps significantly at :06? Pitchiness here too. Watch the lyrics - "she kept me up all night long, when I woke up my wallet was gone." If you were up all night, you wouldn't be waking up... Just a thought. Lines like "she blew my mind" are well used elsewhere.

Put the songs aside for a couple of weeks. Take them back out and re-listen to them. See if the pitchiness isn't more apparant to you.

Keep at it.

Hmm. I agree that you have balls and that's good. Keep at it.

The recording quality is poor. You need to work on your vocals a lot. It's one thing to be a little flat, but to be completely out of key is distracting....also concentrate on *singing*...maybe try singing solo without trying to play guitar at the same time. It kind of sounds like you're singing because you have to, not because you're feeling something.

From your lyrics I get the impression that you're young, and I would expect you to sing about things that are important to you now...that's cool. But you might work on your lyrics a bit...avoid excessively simple rhymes and cliches....put some real effort into the words and how they impact the cadence of the song.

You might also work on song structure...repetition only works with a very good hook. Your vocal melodies consist only of a few notes that pretty much just match what the guitar is doing. There are no real changes in the song structures to speak of. Think of songs in terms of tension and release, dynamics, contrast...human emotion is complex...you feel sad, then you feel angry, then you might feel a little sorry, then sad again, etc! If what you're really trying to say is in the chorus of the song, then let the song build to the choruses...don't just let the chorus be a repetitive verse. In doing so, these songs are a lot more like folk music than "emo" (a term, BTW, equivalent to "alternative" in the early 90's). Try writing your vocal melodies BEFORE you write your guitar parts...this will really start making things interesting. Guitar players who write songs to guitar progressions often end up with vocal lines that sound like the first thing that popped into their heads. And don't be afraid to just end a song....if you've already said what you wanted to say and are trying to force out another verse because you want to reach that 3:00 minute radio music mark, then just end it.

Anyways, these are just some things to consider. This is your music and your art, and you can do whatever the hell you want. Always remember that!

Slackmaster 2000

Back