Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Just finished tracking some Metal: come listen! :)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,405
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Just finished tracking some Metal: come listen! :)

    Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm really excited about how this sounds before almost any eq & stuff

    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=131183247

    Edit: I uploaded an mp3 to lightningmp3 here (http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/526...mgonnaride.mp3) if you wanna hear a high(er)-quality version of another song.

    Please let me know what you think! I still have to cut out the cardboard in the toms & add some 'verb to the drums & other obvious cuts, but I wanted y'all to hear how it sounds before any eq on the guitar or toms or vox or anything

    -steve.h

    Disclaimer: the vocals are kinda weird, but give the song a chance it does some fun stuff later on
    Last edited by Steve Henningsgard; 03-19-2007 at 06:20.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    214
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    5227
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.h
    I'm really excited about how this sounds before almost any eq & stuff

    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=131183247

    Please let me know what you think! I still have to cut out the cardboard in the toms & add some 'verb to the drums & other obvious cuts, but I wanted y'all to hear how it sounds before any eq on the guitar or toms or vox or anything

    -steve.h
    I love your fucking guitar tones man, they sound so gnarly.

    Can you explain to me how you got them? Equipment, mic placement, preamp, eq, etc?

    Good job man, thanks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,405
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Sure man! I used a triple rec for both tracks with an SM57 around 1" from the grill, and a LDC around 3-4' from the cab facing a different speaker. I turned the master volume up to around 8 or 9 (out of 10) and the gain at a surprisingly high level (like 6 or 7/10!), which I hadn't tried before as everybody told me not to. Great stuff! I just used the preamp on my cheap yamaha mixer, and didn't use any eq whatsoever.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    214
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    5227
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.h
    Sure man! I used a triple rec for both tracks with an SM57 around 1" from the grill, and a LDC around 3-4' from the cab facing a different speaker. I turned the master volume up to around 8 or 9 (out of 10) and the gain at a surprisingly high level (like 6 or 7/10!), which I hadn't tried before as everybody told me not to. Great stuff! I just used the preamp on my cheap yamaha mixer, and didn't use any eq whatsoever.
    Nice man, sounds fucking brilliant to me. I don't have an LDC to use on cabs, but i've wanted to try it for so long. Need to pick me up one of those, haha. What LDC did you use? I'll have to try this as soon as I get one, thanks for the info man. =] Keep up the good work.

    Peace!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,405
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by inmyheartx
    Nice man, sounds fucking brilliant to me. I don't have an LDC to use on cabs, but i've wanted to try it for so long. Need to pick me up one of those, haha. What LDC did you use? I'll have to try this as soon as I get one, thanks for the info man. =] Keep up the good work.

    Peace!
    I used the only one I've got: a Shure KSM27. I used it on the vocals too! Basically, this was all done with 6 mics hah Thanks for the compliments!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lexington MA
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    6773
    I started using the KSM 27 paired with a 57 on heavy guitars a little while back, and haven't switched back since. Something in the KSM sounds a little scooped to me, while we all know that the 57 has that huge bump in its high mid frequency response. Something about the two always punches a hole in my gut. Because of the proximity effect on the 57, it always takes me a little while to place it, but once I give it a few listens it always ends up working out real well. I put a recording up here yesterday with the same micing technique (except there is also a DI track turned down really low). The song is called Condemn the Faithful. Check it out if your looking for something to compair it to.

    Well tracked on your tune by the way. How did you mic up the toms? I might suggest backing the mics up from them an inch.

    Ben
    http://www.emergencyexitmusic.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    2973
    wow - That guitar sound is great! It is soooooo thick.... nice job...

    ------------------

    http://www.swtestingsolutions.com/mu...nload_page.htm

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,405
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by emergencyexit
    ...How did you mic up the toms? I might suggest backing the mics up from them an inch.
    I'll definitely try that next time: they were mic'd pretty damn close. I wasn't sure what to do 'cause, while solid, the drummer didn't know how to tune drums so his toms sounded like ass. We did our best to tune 'em but they also had old heads and everything so I'm not sure I'd really want to capture any more of the tom sound than I did haha

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lexington MA
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    6773
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.h
    I'll definitely try that next time: they were mic'd pretty damn close. I wasn't sure what to do 'cause, while solid, the drummer didn't know how to tune drums so his toms sounded like ass. We did our best to tune 'em but they also had old heads and everything so I'm not sure I'd really want to capture any more of the tom sound than I did haha

    Good choice then.
    http://www.emergencyexitmusic.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oregon
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,467
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    2219363
    Wow! Tone to the bone!

    Sounds very cool

    God I need a decent amp


    F.S.
    Where is Darwin when you need him?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New metal instrumental - have a listen
    By espskully in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 12:20
  2. I think Metal is becoming monotonous.
    By myhatbroke in forum Guitars and Basses
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 07-13-2006, 21:56
  3. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07-22-2001, 17:34
  4. I got a metal tune for you all to have a listen to!
    By raindrops in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-04-2000, 07:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •