Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just finished tracking some Metal: come listen! :)

Thanks

Just finished tracking some Metal: come listen! :)

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm really excited about how this sounds before almost any eq & stuff

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=131183247

Edit: I uploaded an mp3 to lightningmp3 here (http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/526...mgonnaride.mp3) if you wanna hear a high(er)-quality version of another song.

Please let me know what you think! I still have to cut out the cardboard in the toms & add some 'verb to the drums & other obvious cuts, but I wanted y'all to hear how it sounds before any eq on the guitar or toms or vox or anything

-steve.h

Disclaimer: the vocals are kinda weird, but give the song a chance it does some fun stuff later on
    Last edited by Steve Henningsgard; 03-19-2007 at 06:20.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.h
    I'm really excited about how this sounds before almost any eq & stuff

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=131183247

Please let me know what you think! I still have to cut out the cardboard in the toms & add some 'verb to the drums & other obvious cuts, but I wanted y'all to hear how it sounds before any eq on the guitar or toms or vox or anything

-steve.h
    I love your fucking guitar tones man, they sound so gnarly.

Can you explain to me how you got them? Equipment, mic placement, preamp, eq, etc?

Good job man, thanks!

Thanks
    Sure man! I used a triple rec for both tracks with an SM57 around 1" from the grill, and a LDC around 3-4' from the cab facing a different speaker. I turned the master volume up to around 8 or 9 (out of 10) and the gain at a surprisingly high level (like 6 or 7/10!), which I hadn't tried before as everybody told me not to. Great stuff! I just used the preamp on my cheap yamaha mixer, and didn't use any eq whatsoever.

Thanks
    Sure man! I used a triple rec for both tracks with an SM57 around 1" from the grill, and a LDC around 3-4' from the cab facing a different speaker. I turned the master volume up to around 8 or 9 (out of 10) and the gain at a surprisingly high level (like 6 or 7/10!), which I hadn't tried before as everybody told me not to. Great stuff! I just used the preamp on my cheap yamaha mixer, and didn't use any eq whatsoever.
    Nice man, sounds fucking brilliant to me. I don't have an LDC to use on cabs, but i've wanted to try it for so long. Need to pick me up one of those, haha. What LDC did you use? I'll have to try this as soon as I get one, thanks for the info man. =] Keep up the good work.

Peace!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inmyheartx
    Nice man, sounds fucking brilliant to me. I don't have an LDC to use on cabs, but i've wanted to try it for so long. Need to pick me up one of those, haha. What LDC did you use? I'll have to try this as soon as I get one, thanks for the info man. =] Keep up the good work.

Peace!
    I used the only one I've got: a Shure KSM27. I used it on the vocals too! Basically, this was all done with 6 mics hah Thanks for the compliments!

Thanks
    I started using the KSM 27 paired with a 57 on heavy guitars a little while back, and haven't switched back since. Something in the KSM sounds a little scooped to me, while we all know that the 57 has that huge bump in its high mid frequency response. Something about the two always punches a hole in my gut. Because of the proximity effect on the 57, it always takes me a little while to place it, but once I give it a few listens it always ends up working out real well. I put a recording up here yesterday with the same micing technique (except there is also a DI track turned down really low). The song is called Condemn the Faithful. Check it out if your looking for something to compair it to.

Well tracked on your tune by the way. How did you mic up the toms? I might suggest backing the mics up from them an inch.

Ben
    http://www.emergencyexitmusic.com

Thanks
    wow - That guitar sound is great! It is soooooo thick.... nice job...

------------------

http://www.swtestingsolutions.com/mu...nload_page.htm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emergencyexit
    ...How did you mic up the toms? I might suggest backing the mics up from them an inch.
    I'll definitely try that next time: they were mic'd pretty damn close. I wasn't sure what to do 'cause, while solid, the drummer didn't know how to tune drums so his toms sounded like ass. We did our best to tune 'em but they also had old heads and everything so I'm not sure I'd really want to capture any more of the tom sound than I did haha

Thanks
    I'll definitely try that next time: they were mic'd pretty damn close. I wasn't sure what to do 'cause, while solid, the drummer didn't know how to tune drums so his toms sounded like ass. We did our best to tune 'em but they also had old heads and everything so I'm not sure I'd really want to capture any more of the tom sound than I did haha

Good choice then.
    http://www.emergencyexitmusic.com

Thanks
    Wow! Tone to the bone!

Sounds very cool

God I need a decent amp

F.S.
    Where is Darwin when you need him?

Thread Information