Just Finished recording an album with my band.

The first thing that comes right now is the vocals out of key and buried. It appears that you recorded all the band at the same time with 1 or 2 mics. If that's the case, it's very hard to mix, the only think to make is an Eq and a little compression.

If you can record instruments separately, you could add double the guitar and pan them 50 L/R. The bass sounds good but is killing the kick, i can't hear it at all.

Don't know what else to say... try to make a multi-track recording... your sound will improve a lot.

Cheers

yeah, its basically a live recording 4 mics on the drumset and one on each amp synth plugged di into the mixer. vocals overdubbed. so changes can be made to the vocals and instruments separately. when I was mixing it everyone got pissed at me for making the bass drum to loud haha. It would be nice to do multitrack recording but for some reason everyone else though running a field recorder into a mixer would be a better idea. maybe if i have the cash I will get an interface in time for the next album.

Ok, so you have 4 tracks for the drums, i guess you have the kick, snare, hit hat and over heads with toms, it's the classic set up with 4 mics. Anyway, if you have the kick isolated you can trigger it very easily with a sample, there are tons in the web, the same goes for the snare, your sound will improve with this. The guitars should be doubled to open the sound. To the vocals use the Autotune and add some Eq on it. With that you'll get the tools to make a nice mix. Maybe not a pro, but it will be much better.

Cheers

i guess you have the kick, snare, hit hat and over heads with toms, it's the classic set up with 4 mics.

Well, not exactly. If you want to talk about a "classic" or "standard" set up, it would be kick, snare, and stereo overheads. Micing the hi-hat is almost never necessary. Having stereo overheads would be a lot more desireable.

Well, not exactly. If you want to talk about a "classic" or "standard" set up, it would be kick, snare, and stereo overheads. Micing the hi-hat is almost never necessary. Having stereo overheads would be a lot more desireable.

the snare mic pics up a lot of hi hat as hi hat is very crucial in many of our songs.

Back