Just finished electronic/filmscore/ambient EP and looking for feedback

AbacuS

Hi guys, I have just finished writing and recording an EP which is kind of moody/electronic/filmscore/ambient (hard to categorize) and I am looking for some feedback really. It won't appeal to everyone but if you think it might be your thing then it would be great to let me know what you think. It's available in full on bandcamp in the link below to stream or download for free

being | AbacuS

Thanks doods, hope you enjoy

-edit to add https://www.facebook.com/musicofAbacus if you want to hear more in the future! thanks

Last edited:
awesome! i want to get into this kind of stuff so bad.

My big draw towards this kind of stuff is video game music... such as Halo (amazed at the composition in that game)

Thanks man! Yea I have big love for the Halo music and video game music in general, I even used to have the Halo 3 soundtrack on my iPod! Laaaav it haha

Sure thing, I'll give it a try. Hmmm, well for me personally I will load up Ableton and Ivory Keys and just record me improvising on the piano with an idea or concept in mind. I will then separate the wheat from the chaff until I have a simple melody line to work around and build up from. (Although the fact I write on piano first bewilders me as I have only been playing keys for around 2 months haha. I have always had an interest in Pianos though, ever since I was a kid. My main instrument is guitar but I have always wanted to try and play piano/keys, so I brought an Alesis QX61 a few months back and that has been my main impetus for this project. I just love the sound and feel of a piano so that is why you will find a piano in almost every track on there, it is the skeleton to work around. Anyway, little off topic)

It's the usual suspects for the drums- Superior Drummer 2.0 and Absynth 3 which I program in using the piano roll in ableton. And after that I just build up the layers with orchestral elements or synths.etc while keeping an idea or emotion in mind that I want to impart in the music then mix. Not sure if that helps at all but ask away if you have any more questions.
I think next time I decide to write like this again I would go more spacey, everyone needs more space themed music :P

Not my thing musically. But the sounds are all pleasing. And if you're going for "ambient" i think you got.

Enough changes to keep up listener interest.

No nits.

I have listened to the whole album multiple times now. I really love it. I have to be listening to music while I'm working on my pc, and this is perfect when your not in the mood for edgy rock band vocals :P no, i really like it. the second and possibly third track I have some issues with dissonant chords and musical choices I wouldnt have made, but thats just me. Everything else though, I am loving listening to it. I will pay if I can. just my 2c

Thanks TheAquired, this is the exact desired effect I wanted and I am glad that you get that :)
And yea, I can appreciate your thoughts on the 2nd and third tracks, the track list is pretty much the order I wrote them in so the first few aren't as polished as I'd have liked, if I am honest track 3 irritates me a tad haha. I was going to leave it out but I needed it for relief from the more down beat ones.
Yea sure, you can pay if you want, the bandcamp link to download is set to "name your price" so it's entirely up to you. I'm just happy that this is being received well so far.

Thanks for your comments dude

Back