Just Call My Name (new song/in progress)

Well, I think the tune has lots of promise. I like the countryish vibe and the vocals are strong. I'm assuming that this is a demo which is going to be re-recorded, cause it's pretty sloppy at the moment. The bass and piano especially seem to be poorly EQ'd and muddy. The vocals have a ton of reverb on them, (which I actually like), but again they are muddied by too much mid-range.

The chorus/break that happens 1/2 way through is interesting. The first time I listened I didn't like it - too discordant without giving enough of a harmonic "lift". But it did sort of grow on me and I like the way it resolves into the harmonic solo. Not sure what to suggest for that part.

Definitely worth polishing up...

- JM

Hey, thanks for responding. Yeah it needs some tweaking, it's only half done right now. I actually played the bass part on my guitar and then pitch shifted it down one octave, you think that might be the cause of the muddyness? Thanks again.
-T

Oh yeah... I've recorded bass that way. But it does kill the high end, and (depending on how you do the pitch shifting) it exacerbates any small errors in timing. I'd get hold of a real bass instead.

Back