joro and dtb

dtb

let me say right up front, that I really thank joro for contacting me about doing this. his first initial scratch track was just a rhythum guitar track that I did a lead guitar track with. joro then put a drum track to the same. next we discussed lyrics and tempo. joro came up with these great lyrics, and I took those and did a vocal track with 2 guitars, also changing the chord progression and tempo to fit my vocal style. my pal btb came over and he put a bass track down, and I put some egg and mando on it. all these tracks going back and forth and developing as we went. so we finally came to this.

initial idea-joro
lyrics-joro
guitar-dtb
mando-dtb
vocals-dtb
bass-joro
percussion-joro
mix-joro

this is the first mix of what we have at this time. joro has a pal that's gonna try a pedal steel on this, but that's a couple weeks out. another great thing about doing this collab, is that it got me out of a dry funk with my own music. since this collab started I have 3 tunz in various points of deveopment. so thanks joro.

thanks to btb (bob the builder) for helping me along with his input on bass, during the early tracking process.

"Blue Ridge Day"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/dtb/singles

Dan

Modern Bluegrass

I love the song.
The vocal is superb.
There is a booming in the bass which i'm sure can be fixed up in the remix. It is really booming on certain frequencies.
The mando fits in nicely.
The song itself is really superb.
just a few mix issues which I'm sure more educated ears than mine will point out:D

Great work
:)

I think it safe to say the main vocal verse is not loud enough. I had to listen hard to understand the words. He worked everyday until his grave Good lyric. I found the chorus to be catchy and easy going. That was a very abrupt and strange ending or mabey my computer just froze. This is one of those driving down th road with a cup of coffee at sunrise songs. I liked it thanks for posting

Thanks for posting this Dan... :D

It was a lot of fun doin' this tune with DTB....
He is a class act for sure...and super easy to work with.

Heavy,
Hey man,
It seems to be my biggest problem with mixes.....
or maybe it's my tracking on the bass...I dunno...I will re-mix with a bass cut when I get home....

Thanks for checking it out man...

tjohnston

Dan's original tracks leaned a little to the left....
Maybe if I lean the drums and the bass a little to the right it might help the sound...
Thanks for checking it out man...

Thanks again fellas,
New mix to come tonight....

Nice collab fellas! I think you did a good job matching the feel of the instruments and melody with the lyrics. Nice work.

Nice guitar and mando sounds. Drums had a nice feel too.

Bass is boomy for sure. Needs some definition. Play with cuts and compression.

Vocals could use a little EQ work IMO to bring them out. I don't know frequencies but I would say the low mids are causing some interference. You might also try boosting the top end a hair and see what that does. I am not good when it gets to this detail so I would just play around with it.

Nice work guys. A job well done.

wow, this is a treat to listen to. The bass is booming a bit, the verse vox is to low :D .

A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N-A ... bigtime guys.

This type of 'character' voice has to ride way out front of the mix, just like any other singer, especially in the verse. This is a story, we must hear the story, and never be challenged to hear the lyric.

People want to listen to stuff like this on the radio after they get off work, as the lamp is burning, just before we nod off eh ?

The chorus is nice, the vox level is good there, we can hear the hook. And I might tighten the panning of the vox up a touch, more focus, more power for the chorus and it's hooks, and that will help with any sibilance issues ... maybe a bit too much reverb, some sibilance is whipping up on a few parts of the vocal.

As the vox in the chorus seems doubled, decide on one of them as a lead vocal, double each of those tracks and then place the pairs right and left. Lower the volume of the backing track significantly. Give us a lead to focus on, and put more reverb on the secondary vox in the chorus.

Remember, we want to hear the vocals here, you can hide them with reverb when you go elsewhere ... but not here :D .

I look forward to the next mix.

Post at a nice kbps level, and I'll take a whack at some fiddle parts !

STUNNING!!

JORO - DTB - What a cool Collab!!
I'm tipping my hat a couple times to the both of you.
I've got nothing to add to the mix comments because I think the other folks have covered it pretty well. But suffice to say I'll be waiting for the new mix 'cause this one's a definite keeper!
Nice playing - excellent writing - totally enjoyable.
Thanks much for sharing!!
~Milan

I really liked what you guys did here
mandolin track really adds alot
i like the doubling effect on the vocals with panning, it works well here
kudos
-Jake

Hi Todd,
How goes it man?

I cut the bass and eq-ed DTB's tracks.....best I could I think...
to my ears the bass is now too weak....I dunno...

New Mix is up at NoWherRadio......
Thanks man....cool comments...much appreciated...
My best to Mika and the wee waif :D

studioviols
I think the vox is way out front now....
I made a higher resolution MP3 for you to "fiddle" with :D

It's at this link man....please do give it a try....
....I had wanted fiddle on this tune but, had no means to apply it besides my cheesy keyboard....ya know?

224 kbps?:confused: is that high enough?
Thanks for your insight man....Dan and I do appreciate it...

Milan
Thanks man...glad you liked the tune....please do check out the new mix...

Hey Jake....
Thanks for checking it out man...DTB is a killer on both the guits and the mando....yes-sir-ee-bob ! :D

CanopuS
Hey man,
Hope you get a chance to listen and comment...

Thanks again fellas....
Joe

Last edited:
Stunning, you two!!

Great song, exemplary play.

I'm listening at joro's site, so must be the remix on the bass, sounds just right, not too weak.

dtb's gotta be the front man, bass is secondary, in my opinion, so lower level works best.

One nit, dtb, man you gotta spend a little more time tuning, I have a feeling your not an intonation nut which is probably why you play so well, but guitar needs tuning.

Other than that, just great!!

GT

Awwww hellll yeah!
Very nice here fellas! Dan, I love the compression on your vocs in this. Your voice totally sparkles man, and sits in a really nice place. ...and.... it leaves the strings all by themselves. This is the best Ive heard your voice recorded (and I DIG your voice). ...just plain bitchin!!!! I guess joro mixed this right? ...howsabout a run down on the vocal chain fellas...

I like the percussion in this one too.....nice

Great tune here guys, nice writing, nice performances....

This is a keeper! ..... ..very nice work!

gw/

Wow, I like this A LOT!

However.........it's a shame the mandolin is out of tune. Sorry guys, I have to mention it. :)

joro, great mix. I don't think the bass is too weak. sounds great.

GT and Pedullist, tune, schoon, I can't do it all. Tune, sing, play, where's my damn roadie when I need him. LOL I have a bad problem with not hearing it so bad while tracking. Probably my ears. but yea, there's tuning issues. I think one thing is this damn guitar. the frets are worn so bad in the first position, it has to effect the tuning. and the mando only needs one unison to be off and it shows. but, hell, like I'm a pro or sumpin, and expect to make it to the big show. he he he thanks for the comments, and glad ya'll enjoyed this collab. joro wrote a fine tune, this one.

g. man, thanks fellow. I've been working on it. my chain gang is pretty much the same as always, except for the added compression, and believe me, I know not what I'm doing. It just sounded good. anyway mine is just the V67 thru the bluetube, into the 788, with the onboard compression. the settings were at the least numbers, and a little boost in gain. joro will have to tell what he did with it.

skids, I'm with ya man. thanks for the re-listen.

Dan

Listening to Joro's remix

This is good stuff! Vocals might come up just a bit. Wow, just hit the harmonies--excellent!! Nice mando solo. The playing is really nice throught the entire piece. The vocals are nice--might come up just a bit, but I love the voice.

This is a terrific piece.

dtb said:
joro, great mix. I don't think the bass is too weak. sounds great.

GT and Pedullist, tune, schoon, I can't do it all. Tune, sing, play, where's my damn roadie when I need him. LOL I have a bad problem with not hearing it so bad while tracking. Probably my ears. but yea, there's tuning issues. I think one thing is this damn guitar. the frets are worn so bad in the first position, it has to effect the tuning. and the mando only needs one unison to be off and it shows. but, hell, like I'm a pro or sumpin, and expect to make it to the big show. he he he thanks for the comments, and glad ya'll enjoyed this collab. joro wrote a fine tune, this one.

Dan,

I think that's spelled scune, as in tune scune, CAN'T SPELL EITHER!!

Get yourself one of those big ass Korg tuners, you know the kind the rich pros use. You sound like a rich pro, you might as well!!

I don't think you can blame the guitar, your last tune was nicely in tune. 2 cents.

Once again great work!!

GT

uh, can I blame it being lazy, or maybe stupid. spelling was my worst subject. handwriting was my best. see how good I write this.LOL.

you know, I really do have a bad time hearing subtle tunning flaws while tracking. if it's real bad out I can hear, but mostly, it sounds fine. then I'll overdub the same guitar or sumpin, and I guess if that's a little off it kinda matches up and sounds ok. so when you folks hear it, you can tell. hmmmmmmmm

maybe it's cause I've played out of tune for so long, I think it's in tune. he he he he and yes, I have a decent tuner, and when I sit down to track that's the first thing I do.

and like I mentioned, the mando is even harder because of the unison strings. I would assume a 12 string would be the same. If one of the unison strings is slightly off it is real easy to tell.

anyway, thanks for saying so. not many do. and it helps to know these things, such as PLAY THE DAMN THING IN TUNE LOL

Dan

Back