Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: joro and dtb

Thanks

joro and dtb

Sign in to disable this ad
    let me say right up front, that I really thank joro for contacting me about doing this. his first initial scratch track was just a rhythum guitar track that I did a lead guitar track with. joro then put a drum track to the same. next we discussed lyrics and tempo. joro came up with these great lyrics, and I took those and did a vocal track with 2 guitars, also changing the chord progression and tempo to fit my vocal style. my pal btb came over and he put a bass track down, and I put some egg and mando on it. all these tracks going back and forth and developing as we went. so we finally came to this.

initial idea-joro
    lyrics-joro
    guitar-dtb
    mando-dtb
    vocals-dtb
    bass-joro
    percussion-joro
    mix-joro

this is the first mix of what we have at this time. joro has a pal that's gonna try a pedal steel on this, but that's a couple weeks out. another great thing about doing this collab, is that it got me out of a dry funk with my own music. since this collab started I have 3 tunz in various points of deveopment. so thanks joro.

thanks to btb (bob the builder) for helping me along with his input on bass, during the early tracking process.

"Blue Ridge Day"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/dtb/singles

Dan

Thanks

Modern Bluegrass

I love the song.
    The vocal is superb.
    There is a booming in the bass which i'm sure can be fixed up in the remix. It is really booming on certain frequencies.
    The mando fits in nicely.
    The song itself is really superb.
    just a few mix issues which I'm sure more educated ears than mine will point out

Great work

Thanks
    I think it safe to say the main vocal verse is not loud enough. I had to listen hard to understand the words. He worked everyday until his grave Good lyric. I found the chorus to be catchy and easy going. That was a very abrupt and strange ending or mabey my computer just froze. This is one of those driving down th road with a cup of coffee at sunrise songs. I liked it thanks for posting

Clowns to the left of me...Jokers to the right....Here I am....
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting this Dan...

It was a lot of fun doin' this tune with DTB....
    He is a class act for sure...and super easy to work with.

Heavy,
    Hey man,
    It seems to be my biggest problem with mixes.....
    or maybe it's my tracking on the bass...I dunno...I will re-mix with a bass cut when I get home....

Thanks for checking it out man...

tjohnston

Dan's original tracks leaned a little to the left....
    Maybe if I lean the drums and the bass a little to the right it might help the sound...
    Thanks for checking it out man...

Thanks again fellas,
    New mix to come tonight....

Thanks

Thumbs up

Nice collab fellas! I think you did a good job matching the feel of the instruments and melody with the lyrics. Nice work.

Nice guitar and mando sounds. Drums had a nice feel too.

Bass is boomy for sure. Needs some definition. Play with cuts and compression.

Vocals could use a little EQ work IMO to bring them out. I don't know frequencies but I would say the low mids are causing some interference. You might also try boosting the top end a hair and see what that does. I am not good when it gets to this detail so I would just play around with it.

Nice work guys. A job well done.

Thanks
    wow, this is a treat to listen to. The bass is booming a bit, the verse vox is to low .

A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N-A ... bigtime guys.

This type of 'character' voice has to ride way out front of the mix, just like any other singer, especially in the verse. This is a story, we must hear the story, and never be challenged to hear the lyric.

People want to listen to stuff like this on the radio after they get off work, as the lamp is burning, just before we nod off eh ?

The chorus is nice, the vox level is good there, we can hear the hook. And I might tighten the panning of the vox up a touch, more focus, more power for the chorus and it's hooks, and that will help with any sibilance issues ... maybe a bit too much reverb, some sibilance is whipping up on a few parts of the vocal.

As the vox in the chorus seems doubled, decide on one of them as a lead vocal, double each of those tracks and then place the pairs right and left. Lower the volume of the backing track significantly. Give us a lead to focus on, and put more reverb on the secondary vox in the chorus.

Remember, we want to hear the vocals here, you can hide them with reverb when you go elsewhere ... but not here .

I look forward to the next mix.

Post at a nice kbps level, and I'll take a whack at some fiddle parts !
    Performing and recording with real violin, viola, and cello for bands and artists.

Thanks

STUNNING!!

JORO - DTB - What a cool Collab!!
    I'm tipping my hat a couple times to the both of you.
    I've got nothing to add to the mix comments because I think the other folks have covered it pretty well. But suffice to say I'll be waiting for the new mix 'cause this one's a definite keeper!
    Nice playing - excellent writing - totally enjoyable.
    Thanks much for sharing!!
    ~Milan
    MC Gitarz

Thanks
    I really liked what you guys did here
    mandolin track really adds alot
    i like the doubling effect on the vocals with panning, it works well here
    kudos
    -Jake

Thanks
    Member only download
    People these days wont take responsiblity for anything, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks
    try now CanopuS

Thread Information