Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jongleurs - Just Say The Word

Thanks

The Jongleurs - Just Say The Word

Sign in to disable this ad
    Absolutely pumping them out at the moment... because I have about 3 or 4 more sessions with the singer/other guy and then we're probably over for good, and I'm going to get a damn album out of all this work! If it kills him....

So, my usual mix by committee entry (see previous threads for boring story about ill positioned monitors...) - all mix feedback gratefully received. Backing vocals the major challenge with this baby. First rough mix:

Just Say The Word

One of my bitter and twisted un-love tunes this time... and it's even short and relatively simple.... what was I thinking??

So that's:

me: lead vocals, backing vocals, acoustic & electric guitars, bass & drums
    him: backing vocals....

I know, he works hard!

Have at it....

Thanks
    Some very cool chimey chords.
    Your main vox sound fine on there own but there's a different rooms thing going on when the Bvox happen too.
    I like the lines and even the way they sit but they do sound like different sources.
    There's a little bit of the GoBetweens going on in this one with you as Robert and him as Grant. The acoustics remind me of how the electrics were played in their early stuff as well.
    The bass lines are fine but I can't decide if the bass needs more definition of is sweet as it sits. I'll have to listen a few more times.
    The electric guitars stuff is very cool.
    Ambum - yep milk him while you can so that the project has that continuity.
    I'm going off to listen to a gobees album now - you've inspired a listen.
    Coll stuff Armi!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayc View Post
    Some very cool chimey chords.
    Your main vox sound fine on there own but there's a different rooms thing going on when the Bvox happen too.
    I like the lines and even the way they sit but they do sound like different sources.
    There's a little bit of the GoBetweens going on in this one with you as Robert and him as Grant. The acoustics remind me of how the electrics were played in their early stuff as well.
    The bass lines are fine but I can't decide if the bass needs more definition of is sweet as it sits. I'll have to listen a few more times.
    The electric guitars stuff is very cool.
    Ambum - yep milk him while you can so that the project has that continuity.
    I'm going off to listen to a gobees album now - you've inspired a listen.
    Coll stuff Armi!
    Thanks Ray... those BVs were always going to be difficult because of the dynamic nature of them... he goes from quite loud to almost whisper falsetto and I've done a heap of volume automation to get them into line. Not sure what else I can do there...

Thanks
    Mix sounds nice and full as usual armi - good tune and the panned guitars sound great.

I don't mind the too vocals sounding in slightly different spaces as I think it's a nice contrast. Your other guy's voice reminds me of Michael Stipe a little from what I can hear - something in the phrasing. My general feel is that his vocals are slightly too high in the mix throughout. There's an element of them competing with rather than supporting your lead.

You do both sound good together though, enjoyed the listen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robgreen View Post
    Mix sounds nice and full as usual armi - good tune and the panned guitars sound great.

I don't mind the too vocals sounding in slightly different spaces as I think it's a nice contrast. Your other guy's voice reminds me of Michael Stipe a little from what I can hear - something in the phrasing. My general feel is that his vocals are slightly too high in the mix throughout. There's an element of them competing with rather than supporting your lead.

You do both sound good together though, enjoyed the listen.
    Thanks Rob.... I've actually just gone and put a new mix up and tamed him here and there because I agree in spots he's a bit out there. He's really hard to control but he does come up with some awesome lines! I've turned the rhythm electrics up just a smidge and also fattened up the snare before Jimmy69 comes along and tells me it's crap...

For some reason it really stands out to me how hollow the sample sounds when I've converted it to MP3 and I'm listening on small headphones via my iPod... sounds OK on the monitors. Anyway, it's better now...

Thanks for the listen.

Cheers

Thanks
    Sounds very nice, very clean and crisp, as usual. The most obvious problem for me is that the kick becomes very weak in the chorus when things get a little busy. I would also turn the ride up a tiny bit in the chorus. I too, like rayc, feel like the bass lacks some definition. Other than that, I think this is a pretty cool song, and the guitars sound great.

Thanks
    Thanks saads... I'll have a look at the kick - I had a listen late last night on the lounge stereo and I see what you mean. An easy fix.

Not sure what more I can do with the bass - I'll tweak the EQ a bit and see what that does... I think I'll have to get new strings on it and use a bit more "defined" sound in future. Had new strings for months... just been too lazy to install them!

Thanks for listening.

Thanks
    Yep, nice and crisp sound.

Sometimes I feel the guitar "tools about" and gets a bit too fiddly over the melody and the lick might actually work better if it was used less often... but I think I am complaining as much about my own guitar in my stuff when I say that

Thanks
    Thanks for listening Tobe... another Sydney dweller I see... that's at least 3 of us now...

Thanks
    The snare sounds quite good for this tune IMO. Not crap. lol!

I really like the tune. The way it builds emotion throughout moves me. Well done man!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 10 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thread Information