Joe Johnston -- Fall, Fall

joejohnston

Rough mix, looking for feedback!

Fall, Fall --

I'm especially not at all happy with the bass guitar........sigh, maybe should just replace it with a synth? What do you think?

Also I don't know if the piano is at all right for the song, the mix, the mood, or anything else. I don't play piano so I fumbled my way through this and then buried it in the mix, and combined it with a long tail of the same notes played on an organ synth, to give the song a little bit of a fuller sound. Does it work?

Don't take this the wrong way, you asked for feedback.
First the good, nice song. I don't mind the mix at all.
Now the bad. The guitar(s) need to be better tuned. Possibly an intonation problem, but I couldn't get past that to listen properly.

Not bad. I think the bass fits the song. You have that odd earthy but well-produced sound. I think the vocals could be compressed a little more in a few spots.

Very good pop tune, great voice, nice harmonies.
I thought the snare sounded a bit too aggressive for this kind of tune.
Nice work!

Joey :)

re: Bass
It's a bit boomy, isn't it?

I think there is just too much unecessary energy in the low frequencies. Cutting some out will give you a better fitting sound that you can re-mix back into the song.

I very much like the song - the voice can get the high notes - But, the breathiness almost destroys this song. Something has to be done with the breaths between the singing, also the breathiness in the voice as it sings the words. This seems to be a part of the genre but in this case it is too much.
I did listen and run to the song twice though. That means I liked it.

thank u guys 4 ur input!

washburn100: couldn't hear the intonation problem. could be me hitting the G string wrong, sometime happens...will look into it

squibble94: more compression on vocals? is that bcuz they get too loud or overpower other instruments? ---i know there's a lot of dynamics in places........thot i had squished it enough tho..

joeym: tone down the snare? do u mean it's too loud, or that the sample is wrong 4 the type of song? thank u 4 ur input!

jinkos: bass too boomy? what does that mean exactly? should i cut some more muddiness in the ultra-low frequencies, possibly put a high-pass filter on? or is it in a slightly different range?

nzausrec: duuuuuuude..............actually i was told 2 put a breathy sound into the song, i mean in the actual vocals. the breaths between vocals--ur right i will cut them, doesn't sound good. thank u 4 liking it!

any other thoughts?

I think if you centered the bass it would sit better. Dont use a synth! Theres a part near the end where the instruments stop - or they sort of stop. Because you aren't sure what you are doing there it comes out sounding like a mistake.

Theres no point in using an instrument if you are going to bury it in the mix. You will get more power from fewer instruments that you can hear properly. Besides, in my view, the piano sounds artificial. I'd get rid of it.

Nice harmonies.

Back