jennifer

Piper at the gates of dawn....

cool song, let me be the first to say that I think the vocals were way to low. I like the keyboard work and the guitar work, but the mix is proof that if you have the flu, DONT MIX!

B.SABBATH said:

please rip it apart with extreme force.. I need a laugh.. :D

get ready to laugh out loud.

The sound is noticeably small. The vocals sound like plastic. plastic vocals recorded behind some kind of electronic veil.

I hear panning, but I am not hearing a sound stage. just random panned sounds. Also, it seems like the ambience is panned to the right, sounding very unnatural. Also, the sound seems to be leaning toward the right.

The sound is there, but not in your face at all

The drums. THey are really weak. I can feel the conviction in the playing, but the sound scores a zreo. THe kick sounds asphyxiating, and the snare has no resonance to it.

The organ conveys no sense of energy at all.

on a scale of 1-10, I'll give the recording and tracking a ZERO (0)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, youre done laughing. I really like the piece. The instrumentation is top notch. The lyrics are good, and the song is enjoyable. The emotion is there.

Oh, I was kidding about the zero comment. I just wantted to imagine the look on your face.

yeah, i like this !

jennifer-
very peter gabriel like at first....
almost a cure vibe as well.....another adventurous arrangement....
synth pads are a little dated, but still very effective for setting the mood....
the kick drum parts could be boosted during the spacey keyboardy parts.....needs a little more push....
vocal effects are neat.... i would like to hear more of a mix with normal/weird, to set off the intensity of the effected vocal...

nice guitar solo- good use of the whammy.....nice effect setting, good feel for the picking technique required to pull out all the harmonics....it goes in every direction you don't expect, keeps the ears on their toes......;)

cool tune, arrangement is interesting with the change in vibe.......

You are crafting a style at this point. Ah! Vocal is intelligible and where it should be. Those B. Sab textures abound, the guitar is doing its pyrotechnic trademarks and the mix just gels as it should be. Would have liked more drums in some key places--just to shock me to my senses at some point, but, thats nitpicking, isn't it? Lyrics are actually excellent--thanks for posting them.

Vocal has no traces of flu. Sorry you are under the weather--that sucks.

You pull a lot out of the gear you have. I'd still like to see you get a couple of samplers and different synths. The talent is there and I feel like, somehow, with a couple of badass samplers and a sample library to work with, you're recordings would be a cut above most. In fact, you might really scare me and some others!

This is not said to take away anything from what you are doing. Its just that, at this point, I can hear the tonal pallette you gravitate to, and I know that if you had more options--you'd indulge them. I give you five stars anyway for what you are doing!

Just take care of your health and I hope you are better very soon.

This is tops again Sam. FLU?!?! BAH! I wish I could sing like this on my best day. Love the effect on the voice BTW. I don't pay much attention to lyrical meaning and these lyric lines are perfect. I definitely wanted more when it ended. I get more of an old Sabbbath/old Floyd feel mixed with a nice modern drive in the middle from it. Great guitars, the drums sound good. I would have liked boomier bass, but that's just personal preference. Excellent job, I keep listening again and again :D

Yo' Brutha' Black Sab, 1st time listening to your jammies and homeboy, U got skillz!!!! Lyrical content was impressive! Bass tracked cleanly while rhythm was on point.....man, the overall production was TIGHT!!!. Wish it was a lil longer because the music and "JENNIFER" Luv Hewitt's story held my attention!!
I gotta' do a search and check out more of your other jammies
as I'm sure it will be madd enjoyable.

BTW, hope U get well soon my brutha' NY'er!!!:cool:

Far out sam!I listened to this the other night but It was late and Im just now making it back around to it.I see that you've gone back to "your" way of mixing vocals.LOL...They sound pretty good in the mix.I agree that a few people here(including myself) are guilty of demanding vocals that are too much out front.:D

The way you phrased the word "last" at 1:07 right before the song picks up tempo is too cool man...the scream is cool and the groove is happening....are you picking those notes on the lead guitar during that fast section or is that some kind of trick?;)

This song is all YOU.You have a signature sound now that I could pick out of a police line up with ease.

I dig the lyrics..I like symbolism in lyrics.

I like the whole thing man.The drum machine doesnt sound that bad either...what happened to your drums?

That sucks about the flu man.The flu season hasnt even started yet and you have it....maybe this will make you immune to a second bout of it this winter.Fevers absoluetely SUCK.If you can take Ibuprofen it will knock a fever on it's ass.Tylenol is like a baby aspirin compared to that stuff when it comes to knocking out fevers.

Get better man.

Hi there,

Listening to Jennifer... Overall good performance, some really cool guitar parts! Vocals sound really good, I don't notice that you were cold, it really sounds like a Roger Waters vocal mix!

I think the intro is not loud enough compared to parts 2 and 3 (let's say part 2 at 1:00 and part 3 at 1:40).

I really LOVE the change at 1:40, the 3rd part is perfectly mixed, the old-radio-mike sound is really cool! I would suggest to use more panning effects on vocals on this part to enhance the stereo image.

Let's listen to your other songs, if everything is like this one you guy should release an album!

Bye,
Djool

Excellent!

Hey Sam,

Another incredible, epic piece from you. I love the changes, especially into the third "movement"...the second part didn't mix as well with the rest of the song to me, but this is subjective/preference stuff ... (while the rest of the song is very deep, this section kind of sounds too "in your face" which I believe is where you wanted to take this, but for me I like the overall deepness better...)

Excellent vocals...And for having the flu, man this can't be beat! I can't really comment on the mix portion (lo-fi) ...

This song really draws you in! I would comment about the drums (since they don't seem up to your par)...but I read about you having to use the drum-machine, so that is understandable...eventually when you get your drums up and running again, you may want to retrack it -- imhop -- :)

Excellent tune overall! You write some killer music!

dead man typing..

thanks again for the feedback dudes.. I expected much worse..

here's the equipment list for this tune,

E-flat guitar, Boss PS-5 pitch shifter pedal, Boss Dynamic Wah, 5 string bass, J-Station, Sansamp TRI A.C., Blue max compressor, BBE sonic maximizer, Digitech Vocal 300 processor, a dented EV mic, an Alesis QS6.1 synth, Roland XP-30 synth, and the drum beats were from a Roland TD-8 sound module.. Recorded on a Tascam 788 portastudio.. I'll probably redo the drums when I replace my broken pads..

the 2 string solo was just that.. me playing 2 strings as fast as I could.. :D :rolleyes:

sorry about the lame reply, but I'm still sweating it out over here.. I have been quite ill for 3 days..

I'll respond in detail later if I make it.. :(

thanks again!

jjtcorsair
muzeman
chrisharris
jcmm
JR#97
Stratomaster
Guernica
jittering jim
Triple M
joro
SLuiCe
Cranky One
Lopp
twist
flapo1
Sigma 9
flash
Cyan Jaguar
GONZO-X
crawdad
Barometer
MISTERQCUE :D
Kramer
Djool_fr
boydrj

Last edited:
coming in late to this thread...and missed "the List"...dang it!!!

I can't comment on your stuff and offer any positive comments/ideas anymore...so therefore, this must be a useless post.

I DO like it very much. All your typical elements, etc. You do have a very good ability with coming up with vocal melody lines. I don't mind the drum machine or any of that stuff. Infact, I kinda like it pretty much. Killer leads too. Negatives...I'm at lost. I suppose I could say "turn up the vocals"..but I can hear them just fine...and even understand the lyrics. The drums do seem to get "lost" in the whole mix...but I think that's going to happen with such a heavy wall of gtr/synth sound. I do notice that you like to use 'vocal' kinda patches...or melotron kinda stuff...and I like that too. Fits well with your guitar sound, and gives you that "sound" that everyone can recognize. Sammy...you do some top notch stuff. The bar around here is getting awfully damn high....phew!!
Oh yeah...bass sounded ok to me too. I'd need to hear it on some really killer monitors, then make a complete fool, by offering 'wrong way' suggestions...

mixmkr said:
Oh yeah...bass sounded ok to me too. I'd need to hear it on some really killer monitors, then make a complete fool, by offering 'wrong way' suggestions...
Well excuuuuuuuuse me for trying. Perhaps I should have said "more kick please?"

-Complete Fool,
:D
Chris

Hi Sam,

Listened to it this morning. Nice song very Tony Banks keyboard sounds. I like the sound on the voice. Fits very well.

I must say I don't mind the drum machine. I'd make it more prominent in the mix though but then again I like loud drums.

Great job especially feeling the way you desctibed.

Cheers,

PJH

do you have any happy songs? I am really curious :)

although I like you with real drums better, but the guitar playing is always up there.

AL

i didn't really look at previous comments, so hopefully i don't retread too much......i think the drums sound good, but might benefit from a little more presence in the mix.......i love the vocals.....the guitar tone sounds great...good song...good mix.....the drums are the only thing that i'd look at...........nice work

you have the vocals sitting great!

the guitar sounds great!

as usual great arrangments... no complaints

:)

I like the analog keys, bold and majestic. The chord journey is inticing. The vocals could come out front a little more and be bigger, but i`d love to have a cd with it on it.

Toki987 said:
I like the analog keys, bold and majestic. The chord journey is inticing. The vocals could come out front a little more and be bigger, but i`d love to have a cd with it on it.

ah...duh...aah.. I can sell you one for 15 bucks!!:eek:

(sammy...you want $7.50?)

:D :D :D

(mgr. for samicide-ij enterprises...self appointed...btw..)

Back