Toms:EV N/Dym 157's
Overheads:a Pair of SM-81's

Gong and Cup Chimes: ATM-811

Bass Guitar (2x10" Carvin Cabinet mic'd) D-112
Upright: Rode NT-2

Brass: 3 Sennheiser MD-421's.

Recorded with a Mackie 1604 Vlz Pro
2 Tascam DA-38's.

This is a VERY Rough Mix, that I just threw together for Reference.
This is going to be released next month.
I did two songs today, but the other one was 13 Minutes long!...I figured nobody would want to DL that.

It's hard to describe this...Maybe The soundtrack to Dirty Harry being played through a Fuzzbox?

Already had several people compare it to something from King Crimson's "Red" as far as style goes.
The song is called Paxl Roze.

Thanks Guys,
Tim....who is tired as hell after today! (Man, my garage/studio get's extremely hot! Hahaha)

Well, we won't be hearing that on any radio stations any time soon... sadly... :)

I thought it was pretty neat and very wild, a bit like Captain Beefheart's Magic Band jamming with Son Ra's Arkestra on "Peter Gunn." I didn't really get the King Crimson reference, but I guess it's not that far of a stretch...

I thought the mix was pretty good... perhaps the drums could be clearer, and I could not for the life of me hear the double bass.

I like the wordplay of the title too.

AlChuck said:
Well, we won't be hearing that on any radio stations any time soon... sadly... :)

I thought it was pretty neat and very wild, a bit like Captain Beefheart's Magic Band jamming with Son Ra's Arkestra on "Peter Gunn." I didn't really get the King Crimson reference, but I guess it's not that far of a stretch...

I thought the mix was pretty good... perhaps the drums could be clearer, and I could not for the life of me hear the double bass.

I like the wordplay of the title too.

Well, My younger Brother wrote all of this material. The band is called "Akashic Jukebox". We're mixing tomorrow.

Man, We got all sorts of goodies over here right now!

A matched pair of Earthworks' Omni's (ooooh! a wooden case! Hahaha)
3 Sennheiser MD-421's
3 ATM-135's(Clip ons for the toms, which I used for two songs today)
Sennheiser MD-441's.
RODe NT-2's.

the next step is a killer set of Monitors.

I think I'm just going to have to get a night job for about 2 months so that I can get all my stuff in order....I would LOVE to have a set of Mackie monitors.

Plus a "REAL" Console. The 1604 its pretty decent (It's relatively clean/quiet)...but I want to "Open Shop", so I'm going to take a look at a Ghost mixer.....I don't really need the MIDI mutes....I may also look at a A & H GL3300 or something in that line.

One of the guys in the band engineers at a Studio that is going out of business, and their Mackie D8B is being sold next month.
He loves it, but I'd prefer an Analog board...

Sun Ra...Yep, these guys love Sun Ra, as well as Sonny Sharrock (sp), and Beefheart....

I still think it sounds like music from 70's series "Streets of San Fransisco", or "Dirty Harry".

Tim

Considering your statements elsewhere you're the last guy I'd have expected to be producing RAD Klesmer hard rock.

But you did it.

Meshugah: Take Note!

There were a few harsh edges up in the 8 - 10 K Range (I think)
At least on my monitors. Like a triangle mixed too loud or something. I haven't got a spectrum analyzer-
just the factory stuff.

Yeah- Sun Ra as well.
Don't forget John Zorn.
Rock On!

Hey drstawl!

Oh Yeah,
We all listen to John Zorn.
Naked City, Praxis, etc(what's the other one-my brother listens to it but I haven't heard much....Torture Garden or something like that?)... Actually I like a variety of music, but generally I'm a Hard Rock guy at heart....I sing as well as play drums, so alot of times I listen to what I enjoy singing....which is generally "prog metal"(I guess I should see if I can find Godspell with Michael Ball, because He's got an amazing voice and my range is very similar to his...I saw him on PBS awhile back, and was totally blown away by him....essentially, I'm a frustrated singer..There I said it and Admitted it! Hahaha But then again, I think alot of drummers are.

My first "Fusion" album was Mahavishnu's "Bird's of Fire" when I was 13(I'll be 33 in like a month...so 20 years ago), and after I stopped laughing (I mean I was rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off, because it made no sense at all to me-I just didn't "get it"...I thought it sounded like 5 guys playing 5 different pieces in 5 different keys, and 5 different time signatures! Hahaha) Billy Cobham totally blew me away on side 2.

Those sounds that you're hearing are 6 Paiste "Cup Chimes" ranging from 3" in diameter to 8" in diameter....they are just tiny THICK Cymbals that I have over my hi-hat...they are BRUTAL if you nail them man...we're talking ear piercing.

Some friends are trying to convince me to go seriously into fusion/"Heavy Jazz"...I Played Progressive Metal for 5 years-which was essentially "Jazz meets Hair Metal with Operatic vocals"...I liked it because of the whole vocal thing.

If you want to hear the kit by itself, check this out:

I did this one tonight. Sort of Terry Bozzioish but very reptitive.

Kick: D-112
Snare: Beyer M-422
Toms: ATM 135's
OH: SM-81's

Behringer Autocom to limit Toms, Kick, and Snare going into the DA-38.(Just so I can get the hottest signal on tape-even thought I'm going Digital-I don't want to have to crank the Mackie board up-because that noise shows up BIGTIME when i transfer to the PC...because i'm going in through a regular soundcard-but that's going to change, because my next Buy is going to be a SP/DIFF card so I can go digital into the PC);)
Behringer Multigate on the Toms coming out of the DA-38.

I like this gate on drums, but I didn't think it was to well suited for other things-I just got it a few weeks ago.
I like the "Tuning Filter" feature, but I also would have wanted a KEY input on it as well.

Also, stuff may be a little bright..I have a little "low end" hearing damage from running sound for several years...so I have to watch it-because I'll tend to boost stuff just a hair in the 4k to 8k range, because it adds definition of the low end (i.e, attack on the drums)

Tim

This is what this bbs is all about!I agree w/almost nothing I've
read from you in the cave,but I absolutely love this piece of music!
Keep up the good work!This is fucked up stuff!!!!!

>My first "Fusion" album was Mahavishnu's "Bird's of Fire" when I was 13(I'll be 33 in like a month...so 20 years ago),

Funny you should mention that. I dug my first Fusion album out of my collection and have it blazing as I type. It still stands up.

"The Inner Mounting Flame"- The previous album from the Mahavishnu Orchestra, ca 1970, which is 31 years ago.
And Billy Cobham redefined what a drummer should be up to for me as well. Admittedly I never rolled on the floor chuckling at the incomprehensibility of the arrangements. I just marveled at how they kept it so tight. Seeing them live was a religious experience. I was 14.

So while you got in late, you made up for lost time. Well done.

Dr. Stawl,

Mahavishnu...

Me too, though I was 17 in 1971 when it came out.. I already knew about McLaughlin 'cause a friend turned me on to Devotion and My Goal's Beyond a little earlier... I still remember my jaw dropping.... it just hit me immediately, it was so unique and powerful. Saw them live the next year and eventually 11 times before they broke up, then once with the second and much-less-interesting edition with Narada Michael Walden and Jean-Luc Ponty...

Inner Mounting Flame was one of maybe two or three LPs that I actually had to buy again because I wore out the first copy... and of course I just bought the 24-bit remaster that Columbia put out...

-AlChuck

Back