Jazz Fusion song - assistance

BlindOwl

Here is a song that we are working on at present. We have a saxophone player coming in next week to add some lead. I'n thinking about replacing a good part of the second guitar lead with the sax (the section after the synth bass break). Just wondering what you think.

Thanks,

Doug

boy, i think that if the sax player is half as good as the guitar player, you're going to have one heck of cool song!! Shit, the drummer is damn good too! The overall level of the mix is low to me though....
Jason

Nice tune man.The lead guitar player has the same tone that Julio Fernandez(Spyro Gyra) gets on a lot of his solos.This thing is begging for a horn solo of some sort,maybe even a keys/synth solo also with some extreme pitch bending.

Nice playing....I agree the level seems a bit low........also I'd like more definition to the bass. It's kinda muddy......of course there's a lot going on but I think if you clean up the boom in the bass it would all open up.......very nice playing guys!

suggestions

Thanks for all the ideas. I agree totally on the definition of the bass. I will work on that for sure. I hadn't really thought about a synth lead, but that's a good idea.

The sax player that's coming in is an accomplished jazz soloist that has taught in universities in South Africa and Australia. It turns out that he is home (central Minnesota) visiting his mother for a wile and he read about our music in the lical newspaper. He went to our website and contacted us asking if we wanted him to sit in on a couple of tunes.

I make the mix hotter next time.

recording sax

I have never recorded sax before. Anyone experienced with techniques? I will cross post in appropriate areas as well.

Sure...(note avatar :D )
Don't stick a mic down the bell of the sax......back off a foot and a half and aim the mic at about 6" above the bell so you pick up the resonance of the body.
Also, don't make the common mistake of pumping up the highs to make it cut thru. The body of the sound is what's important and that's all in the mids for a sax.....so if it doesn't cut thru, turn it up rather than boost the highs.

drummer POV

As a drummer. I need more high hats in the mix. The drummer is doing alot of "linear" playing where is is importand to hear a balance between the HH and softer inner beats of the snare.

Much enjoyed here. ya, the bass could use a little detail in upper register. I liked picking all the way through. Brought "trapeze" to mind with me. The stuccato activity on the kit could use a little smoothing, the high hats as mentioned before would balance it somewhat. There`s some nice keyboard stuff going on. During the 2nd movement with the guitar leaning out there, a little comp'ng on piano would help keep a smooth foundation under you there.

pulling the first mix

I had to pull the first mix from the site. We didn't want to keep an unfinished tune out there too long. I will repost when we have the song further along. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and we will be workong many of them into the final mix.

Thanks

Back