"Janet's Instrumental theme" (taken from 1/2" master tape)

MusicalSound

Recorded this track in an endless pursuit to get a "warmer" sound, but the track is not mine! I don't really know who, it's taken from the "one on one" sound-track featuring the amazing Seals and Crofts. Of course my version is miles less sophisticated, but I keep trying to get a warmer sound out of the deck! I can take the reverb off the channel and dry it up if needed. the 8 tracks were for drums, direct in guitars, etc. Probably had some free tracks leftover.

http://psychedelicsound.yolasite.com/resources/Janet's Theme .mp3

It sounds like it's in a room with a tunnel to the side.
the hard panned reverb is just to hard panned and unbalanced.
I couldn't really listen to the rest because of it.

well see I never minded crazy hard panning a La 1967 when they'd drench one of the channels in echo. I really kinda like that. What stops me from listening to music all the way through is digital sound. That I just don't get. it's like making a movie on video tape. It's nice for a rough idea but it's not a medium I find very listenable-to at all. I re-wound the tape and mixed it down in stereo and took off the spring reverb. :guitar:
http://psychedelicsound.yolasite.com/resources/Janet's Theme 2.mp3

well see I never minded crazy hard panning a La 1967 when they'd drench one of the channels in echo. I really kinda like that. What stops me from listening to music all the way through is digital sound. That I just don't get. it's like making a movie on video tape. It's nice for a rough idea but it's not a medium I find very listenable-to at all. I re-wound the tape and mixed it down in stereo and took off the spring reverb. :guitar:
http://psychedelicsound.yolasite.com/resources/Janet's Theme 2.mp3

How old is the tape? I hear frequent volume drops/weirdness/half second panning like the tape isn't traveling properly/flush over the head.

Otherwise the last mix sounds good in a well-done-retro way.

You realize you're converting the analog mix to digital to share here/anywhere, right? All the benefits of working in analog are lost as a result. It's still being rendered into ones and zeros, just later in the process. Unless you plan to only press vinyl (since no one used cassettes anymore) using analog equipment is pretty useless in today's music world. People desiring the tactile feel of knobs and gear addictions aside.

What I'd like to hear is some modern rock done all analog played back on a turntable. Sadly I know no one with a (working) turntable, or anyone with an all analog studio and pressing equipment (although there's a few boutique companies pressing digital masters to vinyl :facepalm: ). Having modern music recorded the old school way would be a real life comparison of the older methods versus the digital age. The Foo Fighters used an old console and tape for wasted Light, then compressed the crap out of it when [digitally] mastered. Then of course, it ended up in digital for the release anyway. I wonder if Wasted Light is mastered without digital aids on vinyl.

What are you talking about? If I made this recording directly into Reaper it would have sounded way different. Analog has a totally different sound. And digital is clean enough to capture that. That's why when you put the CD of Dark Side of the Moon on you don't say to yourself "wow it sounds totally modern and hi-def!!". No, it still pretty much sounds like the record, just a little cleaner.

So with that it mind, I'll pass on the advice. My recording here sounds extremely analog, I just re-listened to it. Yeah, it's a shitty performance and mix, but the sound is definitely analog. Just because something gets mixed down to digital doesn't entirely take awa from the sound. I put a CD on of the Everly Brothers the other day. Dude, sorry, it sounded totally like 1963.

And yes, I could mix the 1/2" tape straight to 1/4" 15 ips and have that mastered straight to vinyl which naturally would sound very unique. But why would I do that for a piece of shit test demo like this? Straight from the tape into reaper like this is second best and I swear I can't get this tone in Reaper. And this isn't even a careful analog effort on my part! Analog rules, you can put dog shit in and it comes out sounding nice. It's such a shame everyone's going straight into digital. it has no tone

Back