Jam Band Mix, need critique!

PokerDude422

Here is a mix of a jam band that I recently recorded, I am using Pro Tools with a projectmix i/o. If anyone has any comments or anything to make it better let me know, thanks a lot.

Jake

Pretty good Tracking and a nice tune !

The mix just has a few problems:
The kick is burried under the bass and guitars. Add some snap 3500-5000 cut at around 400Hz.
Snare could be a bit louder
Add some highmids to the Bassguitar
Guitars are too loud and I guess they also bring the mud around 200-400Hz
, cut a few db around there.

Other than that a good job !

Dirk

here is an updated version, i took your advice on the eq and tried to fix the mix and brought out the bass drum and snare some more, let me know what ya think

The second mix is better, the snare sounds great now. The kick is still kind of hidden, it doesn't really have definition. Awsome song though and good recording too!

Yup, I like the 2nd mix better...it sounds more cohesive.

It sounds like the kick/bass area is maybe a bit cluttered..? almost like they're competing with each other a little? I dunno. Snare, guitars and cymbals sound pretty good to me though.

Nice job :) a very fun listen...

yeah i realize the kick still isnt really there, the kick drum we were recording on was one of the worst sounding ones i have heard in a while and i cant quite figure out a good way to fix it and give it more tone, does anyone have any suggestions

For the kick, if it has pretty good separation from the rest of the drums, eq it. Cut some of the mids and give it more click. Don't be bashful. Try some dramatic EQ'ing to see if it comes through in the mix better. If it doesn't it was worth a try. That's what makes my kick pop out for me. I keep the low low's and give it more highs but cut a lot of the mids. Good luck.

alright here is a third mix, where i tried some different eq'ing on the kick as well as bringing up some mids in the bass guitar as requested by the bassist of the band, let me know what ya guys think and thanks for all the feedback

Back