I've got a remix on my back. help!

williamconifer

This is my first real digial recording/remixing project. I was given a live stereo recording where the song had no where near a steady tempo, the whole song was out of tune, the guitar was out of tune and the singer would go flat in the bridge and chorus. Well atleast the origional recording quality was pretty good. Anyway I sliced and diced in SF 5.0 and Acid 3 pro. Sequenced in Fruityloops 3.4 and this is what I got so far.

I have been obsessing too much on this project. I got the sounds out of my head and on to the hard drive but I need advice on the mixing. I have to mix with headphones on to preserve my marriage *chuckles nervously* so I don't think I have the bass line level quite right. I had to eq the shit out of them to give me a nice low freq bass sound. Since then I have aquired some nice bass samples and was thinking of reworking. What do you all think? ALso I think, even though the vocals are lightly compressed, the levels are uneven. After I get your feedback I am sending the file to my friend for "mastering". So in other words this is a undetermined final mixdown take.

Let me have it.

Thanks
jack

Hmmm... that vocalist DOES go off in places! I suggest some light chorus maybe to help the offending bits....

You definitely need to re-mix with monitors -- it's not translating AT ALL........ and I don't think you can reasonably expect your listeners to only listen with headphones! ;)

The bass and drums are extremely thin-sounding, and there's a pervasive honkiness to the overall sound....

Back to the control room with ya.......... with monitors!!!!!!

Bruce

"Honkyness" I am assuming you are not referring to me as a caucasion (though I claim to be). *chuckles*.

Seriously, what do you mean by "honkyness"? Are you referring to some of the woodwind and brass samples I used? any thoughts are always welcomed!

Thanks
jack

There's a nasty mid-range bump that is giving a nasal quality to the overall tone... that, combined with the thinness of the bass and drums gives for a very rough mix!

Bruce

Yeah listen to good old Blue Bear, he's the man!

I agree that the bass and drums are flat and need to stand out more. Good work though!

Laj

Back