It's Time - uplifiting, euphoric trance track

Nice tune. Great sound stage. Stereo sep is sweet. The "it's time" vocal could be just a bit more airy. Strings on left side are a bit muddy/unbright @ 3:00. At 4:30, I was expecting a record stop and an immediate slam back into the beat (one of those 2 1/2 beat, throw your dance step completely out of whack, major unexpected things). What was there was just a bit meh...

Overall, sounds REALLY good.

Thanks. I didn't want the vocals too high in the mix but didn't hear that they're lacking a bit in the highs. I'll have another listen to 3:00. As for 4:30 I was aware of wanting to do something different from the usual stop, but didn't spend a lot of time on it. And it shows. Thanks for your input.

Update: I brought the vocals out into the light a bit more with an exciter, and raised the cutoff on the 'strings' synth's filter. I had a quick go at redoing the end of the breakdown but I just don't have a lot of time to spend on this right now. I went for 'a little more dramatic' than 'showstopper'.

Last edited:
I thought the sounds in the intro were a little harsh. I had to turn it down. Once I got in to the next section things were OK. Sounds in general had an 80's feel. Style wasn't 80's, but the tones were.

I'm having a little difficulty hearing the vocal.

Trance isn't my thing. But it gets repetitive. It's not something I'd listen through all the way.

Thanks for your feedback, TripleM. I'll check the intro again. The vocals aren't meant to be high in the mix. They're intended more as atmospheric sound effects rather than singing, per se.

It works. I like the girl voice a lot. I could dance to this no problem.

How come you trance guys never deal with the mix problems that mic guys deal with?

Thanks, dobro. Mix problems are reduced greatly if you don't have mics to worry about. But I also keep it all down to -8dB and mix to that as I go along, EQing, automating and editing note velocities if necessary, and using a Live Utility to control track gain rather than using the mixer faders. The final mix is then down to bringing it all back to -.3dB using the faders, and judicious use of a limiter if necessary. It's never a problem, just take time. But then, sometimes I just compress it all till it bleeds...

Back