It's been a while

Track Rat

Just Your Average Sized Member
I hesitate to put this up but what the hell. I haven't been around here in a long while. Lots of personal problems. But I've ben trying to get back into things. I've been playing with some friends and one of them (Jan Marks) penned this one which I tracked, arranged and also played on. If you have a minute, give it a listen.
Think About Love.
Mike Greenup - N o W h e r e R a d i o . c o m

Dude, sweet tune! for my ears I thought the ride was a bit too up front and the vocal could come up a tad, on cheap headphones at the mo so take it with a pinch of salt!

Hey, TR - not only are you still around, but Nowhere's still around! I had no idea it was still functioning.

I like the tune. Sounds good. The snare might be tweaked. It's sounding a bit too bright/thin/verbed to me. I'm wondering if you could deal with two of those issues just by putting a lowpass on the reverb return. Dunno. But it's drawing a lot of attention to itself because of the part and the verb, so it's got to be right. If it had a bit more body, you might be able to leave it as wet as it is now and get away with it.

Thanks man. The drummer while one of my best friends has a peculiar style. Every time he hits the snare is a rim shot. It makes it a challenge to tame. Everyone wanted a "vintage" production (i.e. drowning in verb). I agree with your assesment and I'll be going back into it. Again thanks to all. I'm clawing my way back into life.

I loved the drums and even though the guy is hitting the rim all the time, I think it sounds peculiar and interesting. The vocals are really powerfull and the guitar has a really good tone. Do you mind sharing what setup have you used in this?

And the mix has a whole vintage vibe to it, that I really enjoy.

Nice tune.

Thanks again my friend. It was a violin in its first life. I drug it out of a dumpster and kind of did the Frankenstein to it.
As far as setup goes, rhythm guitar was a Samick SAT650 which is basically a 335 copy through a '65 Ampeg Gemini VI, that miked with a KM184/HHB preamp. Bass was a P bass/ Hartke amp mike with a D-112/HHB Fatman. Piano was a synth DI. Organ was a Hammond L103/ Leslie 147 miked with a 57/Envoice Mindprint. Slide part was the FrankenFiddle through a Kustom 72 Coupe miked with the KM-184/HHB combo again. Drums I used a pair of Earthworks SR-71's for overheads in XY, AKG C-1000 on rack tom, AKG C3000 on floor tom, a Sennheiser MD-441 on snare and an AKG D-112 in the kik with a 57 on the front head all through HHB preamps.IMG_0021.jpg

Last edited:
I got a question about the drums. Aside from getting a bit of altitude, what's the function having the kit on a riser?

I'd like to say it's a really cool sonic trick but it's to keep the kit off the floor. We were having water issues, now fixed.

I'd like to say it's a really cool sonic trick but it's to keep the kit off the floor. We were having water issues, now fixed.

I do the same. I've got my computer tower up on boards cuz this room's flooded in the past. I brought in friends and fixed the leak, but you never know lol.

Good song.
the snare might be a hair or so too loud but it adds a vintage soul sound to balance the country tinges.
With some change in instrumentation this could be a very solid soul ballad.

A modern day's Otis Redding with the instruments playing a much more prevalent role.

This song and mix is beautiful.

Maybe I would push back the main vocals just a tiny tiny bit (i.e. is it just me or does "take" in "take a deep breath" at around 50 seconds clip?)

But honestly I love it. Love the organs panned left, the reverb on the vocals are nice and smooth, the guitar on the right's got tons of soul.

The echo on the lead guitar is a nice touch, maybe just a bit loud relative to the main signal, but that's all subjective. And keep in mind, I don't have monitors with me at work while I listen, so take this all with a grain of salt.

Honestly I'd be proud to write and mix a song at this level. Job well done man.

Yeah, anything I'd have to offer would be of a taste nature. I do think the snare could come down a couple of db and still do it's job without making me blink at high volumes.

This is super fucking sweet. One of the few songs I hear for free on the internet that I played again just for enjoyment...which is sort of the point, right?

After a couple of listens, the hammond (or whatever) could be a bit more present...I bet it walks all over the vocal when you notch it up, and I can obviously hear that it's there, but I want a touch more of it and less snare...which I mentioned, haha.

Sounds great. It has a really nice, intimate feel and I really like the sound of the kit. If I have one crit it's that the voice might be lacking a tiny bit of air/presence. Otherwise, no grumbles. :)

Back