It's been a while...

bazzlad

I had a break since the last song I recorded and mastered, have been gigging very hard acoustically. I took a few days out to record and finish this song.

Any comments, good and bad are welcome.

Rich

Nice balance between the vocals and the guitar. Good vocals, lots of range and the harmonies are nice and tight.

The vocals separate and pan out at one point - but I found they lose some of their blend because of it. I might move them back towards center there. (just my .02)

The little guitar riff you put in is very tasty and works well between parts.

The distorted guitar is an cool addition. I would also be interested to hear a big acoustic strumming on this to see if you could keep the acoustic feel to it throughout. Just a thought......

Good tune - hope you'll have time to share more .......

Thank you, when I get home I'll pan the vocals back in (I did that bit over headphones - always stupid) and I up the acoutic guitar in the electric bit and see what it sounds like. Cheers for the feedback!

nice song

Dont have much for ya in the way of critique, I do like the song very much though. The addition of the distorted guitar near the end is most excellent.

A compliment off someone with a username like yours :P
I have my Radiohead Tickets for the Wolverhampton gig. :D:D:D They're a big influence, I'm sure you can tell. Thanks for the comments :D

sounds pretty good. everything is real clean and present. i agree that the early section would sound good with a warm acoustic holding down the rhythm. like the vocal doubling and layered guitars towards the end.

Pretty cool tune man! I've been hearing a lot of stuff lately with no drums and percussion. I'm starting to like the idea.

The guitar palying is nice. Nothing wrong. The dist. guitar in the end is really nice. I like how it counts the beat and then starts. Also I like the wah like effect. I'm not sure if it's a wah or what but I like the effect. :)

I like the wet guitar that comes in about 00:42.

Cool tune. I don't have any notes on the mix. It's past my expertise level. :)

Cheers for all the responses so far, I'll definately take up some of them and repost at some point. :D

I'm not sure I'm hearing the same thing everyone else is. The guitar sounds shrill to me. It sounds like an electric-acoustic plugged into a mic'd amp, which should pretty much never be done (edit: in recording, I mean). Always just mic up the acoustic. I don't know if that's what you did, but that's what it sounds like to me. Maybe you can try to EQ it differently so it's warmer and less brittle sounding.

Then, around 0:40 (and to a lesser degree 1:45, and similarly at 0:09), it's like it just cuts out and jumps to another part of the song. It's a very unnatural splicing of separate recordings. The first part should fade into the new guitar, rather than cutting out like that.

The electric at the end is way too far left panned. It sounds fine once the right comes in, but since it starts out over there, consider bringing it in. I don't think it needs more than 30-40% left, and then bring in the right a bit. On headphones, this part makes me uncomfortable, like the left side of my head is heavier.

I will say, the vocals are top notch and make me jealous!

Last edited:
Hey John, cheers for your honesty.

"I'm not sure I'm hearing the same thing everyone else is. The guitar sounds shrill to me. It sounds like an electric-acoustic plugged into a mic'd amp, which should pretty much never be done (edit: in recording, I mean). Always just mic up the acoustic"

I played my electro acou through a mixing desk into my PC.

I think it needs a warm guitar with a nice first chord strum. It sounds weird, mainly because the chords I play are weirder than any I've ever seen. (On the strumming guitar.) They're hard to record. That's for sure.

"Then, around 0:40 (and to a lesser degree 1:45, and similarly at 0:09), it's like it just cuts out and jumps to another part of the song. It's a very unnatural splicing of separate recordings. The first part should fade into the new guitar, rather than cutting out like that."

That's an opinion. Both guitars are one take. I simply used silence, and I mean complete silence and an additional guitar riff to join the verse and chorus, I love it, my brother hates it. Musical marmite I suppose.

"The electric at the end is way too far left panned. It sounds fine once the right comes in, but since it starts out over there, consider bringing it in. I don't think it needs more than 30-40% left, and then bring in the right a bit. On headphones, this part makes me uncomfortable, like the left side of my head is heavier."

Thanks a lot for that, as you can prob tell from earlier posts, I have a tendancy to get panning happy. I'll definately try bringing it in.

Cheers

Rich

I will say, the vocals are top notch and make me jealous! <------- :D:D:D

Last edited:
Ya I dont know man I;m not really digging the acoustic sound myself either. Seems like it could be fixed with some eq though. What do I know. Awesome song and I really like this electric at the end. Great Job! Awesome vocals.

Adam

Ok I've taken into account what some of the users have said and remixed the song......please state if you're critiquing the original; or remix, and please tell me which you prefer! (Although the difference's are the acoustic rhythm has been re EQ'd and the panning issues I suffer with fixed!)

Cheers all,

Rich

I liked the song! The only thing i'll say is, you might want to drop everything a half step so you don't have to strain so much........you tend to be flat a bit when reaching for the high notes......sounds almost as if you are pinching off in the throat or turning your head. Take a deep breath and push from the gut!!!! :D

jpw23 said:
I liked the song! The only thing i'll say is, you might want to drop everything a half step so you don't have to strain so much........you tend to be flat a bit when reaching for the high notes......sounds almost as if you are pinching off in the throat or turning your head. Take a deep breath and push from the gut!!!! :D

Funny that, it's in D# and it was written in D. :P I was told it was more impressive in D# and I admit is quite a range. Flatness wise, it's flat on ONE stretch to an note, other than that it's 100% fine. Trust me ;)

:P

Back