It's all about fun isn't it?

JR#97

After weeks of trying to track pristine acoustic guitar tracks like you guys, I decided to take a break and do some sloppy, out of time, out of tune, anything-but-pristince electric guitar. I"ve also had a few requests to put up a sample of the Sansamp Tri-AC pedal. However, the mp3 process really changed the sound, so it isn't entirely accurate. Anybody know of a better encoder than the one that comes with Cool Edit Pro? Anywho, I think this would have even qualified for a 1.5!

Native Son

ps. This is an attempt at covering Sonny Landerith not only with a sansamp but sanslide.(I couldn't pull it off a slide in other words, so I just emulated a slide with my pinky and ring fingers... not the best emulation, but oh well.)

JR#97 - I can't listen to your tune just now (at work) but I recommend the Lame MP3 encoder. It's free, and as far as I'm aware is the best sounding encoder available, especially at high bit rates (160+).

Razorlame is an excellent (free) Windows front end for it too. Well worth checking out.

I use Lame with the -r3mix parameter - this sets a load of options which basically encodes at 160 VBR, and to my ear is very close to the original. Sometimes the highs suffer slightly, but other than that it's very good.

Hope this helps.

AB

Sounds good JR. In what way did the MP3 change the sound? I like the sound that ended up on the nowhere page. Especially on the psuedo-slide licks. I bet it would sound great for an Allman Bros sort of sound.
Pretty nice playing man.....:cool:

For me this has an almost Irish jig feel about it. Some nice playing and got me moving first thing in the morning. Thanks JR keep having fun and posting 'em.

Gerry

hey JR, I love the guitar tone. I bet you had lotsa fun doing this. Nothing like just turning it up and freaking. great man.

I like your guts putting something that you know is less than perfect in.

I remember the debate we had over expensive gear. EXCELENT! I think it got one star.

That was cool, mistakes and all.

I think more people would put songs in, if we were'nt so hung up on perfection.

I like it.

GT

It sounds pretty good.......for an mp3 converter, I use one that came with Musicmatch Jukebox (some program that came w/ my dell , and i think it might be free to others)....it has a pretty good, free converter

Lt. Bob said:
Sounds good JR. In what way did the MP3 change the sound? I like the sound that ended up on the nowhere page. Especially on the psuedo-slide licks. I bet it would sound great for an Allman Bros sort of sound.
Pretty nice playing man.....:cool:

the original .wav is less grainy and has more depth. The difference is amazing.. at least to me anyways. I'm going to try the Lame encoder and see if it works any better. I might even try mixing especially for mp3... but that would be time consuming for a screw off track like this was. Who knows, maybe it will take care of my lame drum track too? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the listen everyone!

Hey Jr,
...cool stuff man. I like that main (chorus'ish) guitar riff that runs through this. .....very cool. The guit tone is cool too. The bass line kinda got buried back there, but that might be by design since you seem to be focusing on your guit. tone. Nice stuff man, im looking forward to hearing this when ya get it done.

g

JR,

I know this tune. I think you did a pretty cool job on it. The basic guitar sound is good (IMHO). Not bad for a 1.5!

And yes , it is supposed to sound like a jig. Cool!

Twist

JR... paisáno,

Guit-tone very warm... good fuzz going on... it does sound "Irish"... it has a "classic rock" sound to it (which isn't a bad thing)... a nice break from Mesa-Mesa-Mesa-Mesa everything...

c - (who will practice day and night to get chops so he and JR to the ninety-seventh can jam :D)

I like this.....and it does sound a bit Irish
(I also have some material like this).
I find this type of material more difficult to play, because the fingering is not blues based. You did a nice job.
I hear plenty of open harmonics and resonance from the guitar, which gives a echo like effect, - I think you could also provide a contrast by muting/damping with the palm, producing a stronger attack and faster decay on the notes.

Dara

Sounds really great Chad!
That guitar tone is killer!

I just got a Trademark 10 recently,partly because you dig the stuff so much.
Iv'e only had a chance to play around with it once,but what hit me right away was,every time I tweaked one of the settings a little,it sounded familiar.
Your song hits me the same way.
Like the great guitar tones Iv'e been listening to all my life.

Those Tech guys really know how to do emulation man!
I can't wait to do some mic work with it.

Nice playing dude,fake slide and all!
Was this DI'd?

Cool stuff,thanks for sharing it,
Pete

BTW-I use Lame encoder with the Razorlame front end.
Always works great for me,can't tell much differance between an MP3 encoded at 192 and the original Wav. file.
It will also encode a Wav. recorded at a 48 sample rate,I don't know if some of the others will do that?
Definitly give it a try,good luck!

Awesome tone and a really interesting idea. A distorted Irish slide tune... damn. I'd sure as hell like to hear this with a real drummer, but hey, I'm in the drum machine boat myself.

Real cool!

Chris

Thanks for the listen and comments everyone! I highly recommend checking out the original by Sonny Landreth. The song is actually called Native Stepson, so I got it wrong. He also does an acoustic version called Son of a Native Stepson. My version will now be known as Son of a Bitch Bastard Red Headed Stepson.

Tuning is open E: EBEG#AE.
Sansamp Tri-AC direct. Tad bit of 'verb. Tad bit of Waves RCL. Guitar is a Musicman Sillouhette Special using the tail humbucker.

Oh... and thanks for the LAME tips! I'm playing with it right now! (What does VBR mean?)

VBR = variable bit rate. The encoder automatically adjusts the bit rate for optimum throughout the piece.

Twist

twist said:
VBR = variable bit rate. The encoder automatically adjusts the bit rate for optimum throughout the piece.

Twist

So I take it that it is better to use the VBR settings?

Back