Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Invasion From Mars

Thanks

Invasion From Mars

Sign in to disable this ad

I just post it here too. Some trashy Sci-Fi stuff. Tascam 424 cassette recording.
    I used to do cassette-recordings. I still do. But i used to too.

Thanks
    To be honest, I can't get past the lofi sound. You would do your music a real favor by improving the fidelity of your recordings. There are reasons we abandoned four track cassette when a better medium came along. Mix-wise, the midrange on those synths is totally out of control--especially that windy synth pad on the right and the lead synth in the center. When they come it, it's like standing in front of a train whistle.

Thanks
    yeah, I see what Robus is coming from. You have a couple of volume spikes that need taming with eq or reduction in volume...or both. You could also use some compression on them.
    Anyway, that being said...
    I think the tune is totally cool!
    It reminds me of those old SciFi shows of the 50's and 60s. Oh yeah, and "The Munsters" theme!
    It doesn't really call for HiFi (in my opinion)....LoFi is way cool. With a little tweaking it will be fantastic.
    good job man!
    I was country before they took the O out.

Thanks
    @ Robus
    The portastudio is a choice here, i could record it on my computer, i have a semi-decent interface, but i prefer the workflow and sound from the portastudio for my music. A taste thing i guess ... not too many people are on my wavelength in that regard.
    You're right about the mid-range, though; it's a bit harsh/resonant on some notes. It's a result of the instruments themself (my old italian organ really sounds that way :e) and overloading the spring reverb, i guess. Hard to fix now, though ... maybe i could cut around 1khz on the whole track.

@ jimistone
    Yeah, the volume spikes are hard to fix now. The track involved much ping-pong'ing and one submix to a stereo cassette recorder and back to the portastudio. The lead melody is already on the submix.
    But thanks! Glad you like it. "Cheesy/trashy" 50's/60's space-age novelty music/sci-fi show music is what i was going for.
    I used to do cassette-recordings. I still do. But i used to too.

Thanks
    Please do not, DO NOT, do not even consider abandoning your sound and style because of the opinions of a few that only hear through their own bias and filter. Most of us that do know how to record cut our teeth with 4-track cassettes. They're probably not familiar with this kind of stuff. I am though, and it's pretty cool. Could you mix it a little better? Sure. But you nailed the 60s sci-fi B movie sound, and it's pretty fucking awesome. Having a pristine clean digital recording of this would be ridiculous and it would lose all of it's personality. You just need to tweak it here and there. The high mids are a little grating with the sound effects and keys, but it's not that bad, and most stuff like this from the 60s has pretty much the same character. There are organs and theramins on old sci-fi stuff that will rip your face off. Anyway, I like it, and if it were my mix I wouldn't change too much.

Welcome back and please post more stuff like this.

Thanks
    Woah! Greg's not dead!

Yeah, the lo-fi thing probably works for this sort of song. (The munsters comparison does seem apt)
    The big things that stick out to me as needing some help are the panning and the eq.
    That piano (?) on the left throughout is just so dark. And the hard-panning is distracting too. (I like to say that if anything is important - such as drums or the main rhythm piano - it should be audible in both channels.)

Thanks
    Yes, he actually is dead as far as the MP3 Clinic is concerned. He has been following me around the forum disagreeing with whatever I say since he returned from his ban. He doesn't really care one way or the other about the OP's song.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    Yes, he actually is dead as far as the MP3 Clinic is concerned. He has been following me around the forum disagreeing with whatever I say since he returned from his ban. He doesn't really care one way or the other about the OP's song.
    I would disagree that he doesn't care about the song. Greg's well into old surfy stuff. I think he did the Munster's theme one time, if I remember correctly.
    I've got two sheds, me. http://www.therecordingrebels.com

Thanks
    Panning is biggest problem to me. The things that are far outside could be pushed inside a little more - the piano on the left, for example. not a big jump, just a little more tuck over there. have to say i agree that the tape quality is the whole idea behind this recording and it would lose its novelty without it.
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba po View Post
    I would disagree that he doesn't care about the song. Greg's well into old surfy stuff. I think he did the Munster's theme one time, if I remember correctly.
    He did indeed, twice if I recall correctly. I have the 2nd version as my ringtone.

I like the tune Dr.SR. The lofi quality of it gives it a real nice late 50's/early 60's vibe. Just a shame about that lead melody being so loud,. Can that not be fixed or is that committed to tape?

Great tune though.
    Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! - TheMrClean.co.uk

Thread Information