Instrumental rock track - need advice and opinions

Humbucker

I posted this up a couple of weeks back in rough form, but it was a downloadable file rather than a direct link. I now have it as a direct link, and I am now pretty close to being happy with the mix. I just really need some outside opinions on it, as I'm very much in the still learning period regarding mixing etc. One big difference between it now and a couple of weeks ago is my use of the Kjaeurhus Golden EQ which I am currently on a free trial of. I have also added a couple of other lead guitar tracks, and there is some compression/limiting on the output buss. Ignore the couple of seconds of drums in the intro and bear in mind the last few seconds will be a fade out in the final version. Look forward to your thoughts and opinions :)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3073

I like the intro but could hear some extraneous noise, tapping, bumping something?
The snare sound is too light & digital.
Sounds good - couldn't download your original post.
The bass needs a little top end. On the main part & solo - WOW bass solo. The drum solo isn't convincing for the same reason as the snare comment.
Otherwise be happy.
Cheers
rayC

The guitars are the best sounding part of the recording. The drums have a very mechanical sound and the bass tone is very round and thumpy. On a track like this it needs more pop and high end as RayC said.

I'd consider adding some form of clean track to support the chord implications as well as to give it some high end throughout.

Compositionally it's decent too. There is a repeatable theme that works although it doesn't reach out and say listen to me again and again. I'd say you certainly have a building block here and with the technical talent of the bass and guitar playing there should be plenty of avenues to explore.

Many thanks for your feedback ray/Mark :)

I'll definetely add some top end to the bass, and perhaps change the snare sound. I did the drums with the Jamstix standard kit, but have a bunch of other kits and sounds with it, so this should be no problem. Yeah, I did wonder if it was a little thin on the ground in terms of rhythm guitar tracks - I might record a clean one to compliment the others. Not sure about the noise in the beginning, I probably forgot to cut out something in the first few seconds. As for the composition, this one is definetely very much a 'get back in the saddle'(it's the first thing I've recorded in almost 2 years) piece and admittely a 'guitarists song' :D Thanks again for your feedback - much appreciated. I'll take it onboard. :)

I've worked some more on it EQ-wise, particularly on the bottom end of the bass. I've also made the snare drum a little meatier and the kick a little punchier so it isn't clashing too much with the bass. Would really appreciate some feedback.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3105

Bear in mind that when I have finished mixing it I will probably brighten it up with some EQ on the output buss and also as I said earlier the entire thing will fade out at the end. :)

Hello!
I did not listen previously versions but this one sounds pretty nice to me.
Have you consider to make a vocal version.
I don't know but I think it has almost all elements for good rocky vocal song.
It doesn't hit my as an instrumental.

Bass is fine but still there is something what missing in it. Maybe just a mix.
Another solo guitar what begins at 1,24 in the background and it's place in whole mix is strange. It goes for to long.
Would you consider loose it on some parts?

I'm looking forward to hear more from you!
See you!

sikter said:
Hello!
I did not listen previously versions but this one sounds pretty nice to me.
Have you consider to make a vocal version.
I don't know but I think it has almost all elements for good rocky vocal song.
It doesn't hit my as an instrumental.

Bass is fine but still there is something what missing in it. Maybe just a mix.
Another solo guitar what begins at 1,24 in the background and it's place in whole mix is strange. It goes for to long.
Would you consider loose it on some parts?

I'm looking forward to hear more from you!
See you!

Thanks for listening :) I dunno, maybe I'd consider a vocal version - my wife is a singer but I dunno if it's really her thing :D It's really just a jamalong, intended to get me back in the recording saddle(haven't recorded anything for almost 2 years). Yeah, I've been struggling with that background guitar, I just can't get it to fit. I dunno if it's an arrangement thing, a volume thing or an EQ thing why it doesn't fit :confused: Thanks for your comments, much appreciated! :)

Humbucker - I listened to the song at work on my samsung pc speakers so just a rough opinion. I'll take it home and listen to it on my studio8 speakers but for now ...
The bass is killing - really georgeus sound - I've never recorded so well sounding frett bass,
the drums are your weakness I guess, especially kick (too much low I guess, to less attack)
the guitars sound ok but I'll tell you more when I listen to it at home, at first sight nice guitar playing though

all for now
lG

lukgier said:
Humbucker - I listened to the song at work on my samsung pc speakers so just a rough opinion. I'll take it home and listen to it on my studio8 speakers but for now ...
The bass is killing - really georgeus sound - I've never recorded so well sounding frett bass,
the drums are your weakness I guess, especially kick (too much low I guess, to less attack)
the guitars sound ok but I'll tell you more when I listen to it at home, at first sight nice guitar playing though

all for now
lG

Thanks for listening, much appreciated :) I look forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

Bass tone sounds really good in the second version. All in all the guitars and bass sound great and I like their contrast and panning in the mix. Possibly the L guitar with the sweet tone could have a little more transient attack but it's a minor thing, maybe more just personal taste. The drums do sound artificial though. You might listen to some of Metalhead28's stuff if you haven't. He gets a very lifelike effect with sampled drumset tracks.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Bass tone sounds really good in the second version. All in all the guitars and bass sound great and I like their contrast and panning in the mix. Possibly the L guitar with the sweet tone could have a little more transient attack but it's a minor thing, maybe more just personal taste. The drums do sound artificial though. You might listen to some of Metalhead28's stuff if you haven't. He gets a very lifelike effect with sampled drumset tracks.

Tim

Yeah, to be honest I put very little effort into the drums when tracking. I just created a rhythm in Jamstix and pretty much let it jam along to the bass line. All I really did was adjust the volume for the opening part, then turn it up for the main parts. I've had it a while, but I'm just now getting to grips with Jamstix as I have had quite a long period of not recording or even playing really. I can definetely still go back and improve things with the drum track hopefully though. I did this piece with the standard Jamstix drums, I have a bunch of other kits but somehow that one fits it the best to my ears. Yeah I'd definetely be interested in hearing Metalhead28's drums - do you have a link to his stuff, or is it in his sig perhaps? Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated. :)

OK, this is kinda the 'final' mix, although I'm only 95% happy with it so I thought I'd put it up for opinions and feedback. I've polished the mix up with some EQ(Kjaerhus Golden EQ), some compression(Kjaerhus Classic Compressor) and some limiting(Kjaerhus Classic Master Limiter). I also had to put some dithering on it when I was exporting it from Cubase. It's the first time I've done this, and I know people say very experienced ears can sometimes hear digital distortion that lesser experienced(i.e mine) can't.

The reason I'm only 95% happy with it, is because I think the bass is perhaps a little quiet in relation to the drums, although I've listened to it so much that I really need someone elses ears to tell me if that is true or not. Really appreciate any thoughts and advice - here's the link:-

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3144

BTW, many thanks for all the help and advice so far, this is my first recording for a long time so I really needed the guidance - much appreciated. :)

Probably gonna turn down the drums a touch and call it a day - would appreciate some opinions on that new mix though. Sorry to keep asking. :)

Listening to the final mix with h/phones now,
I like the finger noises on the bass intro.
Sounds like you've done a pretty good job - I still think the drums sound like they've been lightly played.
Nice rework in general.
Cheers
rayC

Thanks ray :) Yeah, as I get more accomplished with Jamstix and record more stuff I'm sure my drum tracks will improve. There was once a time I used to only use the standard Cubase drums - the results I get with these ones sound 10 times as good as the results I used to get with those :D Thanks again. :)

Back