Instrumental mp3: Butterfly (4 tracks in about 4 hours)

Boray

Last time I posted a mp3 here, I "broke all the rules". This time I followed all the rules below instead. ;) (They are from a minimalistic 4 track challenge).

Here it is:

Butterfly (3:22)

It only took me about 4 hours to record this tune. It normally takes me AT LEAST a week to record and mix a tune, so this has to be some kind of record for me. Anyway, I think it turned out pretty good.

I did two mono bounces to perform one stereo bounce, like this: To bounce 1/2-5 + 3/4 to 1/2-11, I did this:
Bounce 1-5 + 3 to 2-11
Bounce 2-5 + 4 to 1-11
Exchange track 1-11 and 2-11

So I have
1/2: Stereo piano + drums
3: Lead guitar
4: Bass

I hope you like it! (I do ;) )

/Anders

A constrained challenge for all VS and BR users, as long as you:
* Never at any time use more than 4 tracks. (Tracks 1-4) (Even for bouncing, so no mastering tracks allowed etc.)

* You are however allowed to use all v.tracks on those 4 tracks for storage.

* Don't use any external gear except for mics and instruments - No external preamps, converters, compressors, effects, mixers etc... NOT EVEN A POD!!!! So... Only instruments and mics allowed.

* No guitar amps or any instrument amps! You have to use the internal guitar effects if you are to use electric guitars!

* All internal effects are allowed.

* No sequensers. You are not allowed to record any midi data anywhere. This of course also includes synths with internal sequensers.

* No drum machines.

* Nothing programmed. Everything must be played for real.

* You must record a completely new song that never has been recorded before. You may have composed it before, but not recorded it on anything else than casette, minidisk etc. while composing.

* No automix.

* Only one person can be involved in each project - no extra musicians or engineers etc.

* If you have to burn a CD with the Roland burner to be able to make a mp3, then you are allowed to mix down to the mastering tracks to able to do this. But you are not allowed to do anything more to those mastering tracks after this mixdown, but only to burn down alone (without any futher effects or anything).

* When mixing down, to a soundcard, external burner (or mastering tracks as describeb above), only those 4 tracks are to sound. You are not allowed to add another performance on the inputs while mixing down, so to simulate 6 tracks...

This should even out the odds for all VS and BR users I think... To give a BR8 user with a guitar and a mic a chanse against the full studio VS2480 users.

Deadline: Two weeks from now, 20 August 13:00 CET.

This is a really cool song.

One minor suggestion: When the drums and bass come in the piano gets lost a little bit. To me the piano part was really cool. I'd drop the bass and drums a little or EQ both so the piano stands out a little more.

But again, great song. Love the ending.

I was going to say I didn't like your guitar tone then I saw you'd DI'd it.
That's a great melody you've got there. Well done

Thanks Bulls Hit! I've used a guitar amp sim effect inside, but I think that it sounds a bit too bright. I will try to fix that in a remix later on.

/Anders

Back