Instrumental metal

JuhaL

Hi!

I´ve made this song just for mixing purposes. If anyone could listen it and tell me what you think about mixing. The song itself doesnt have any structure so dont mind about that.

Song

Juha

Reactions: XLR
JuhaL said:
Hi!

I´ve made this song just for mixing purposes. If anyone could listen it and tell me what you think about mixing. The song itself doesnt have any structure so dont mind about that.

Song

Juha

Nice. Won't really find anything big to fix. It works :)

Maby that guitar "oomph" is a bit dominating when palm muting. I mean it kinda leaps out. I wouldn't maby touch it with EQ at all, only some multiband comp down there and it should do the job. Might get it tamed at the mastering stage too.

Other minor thing is that the lead synth's mid/upper-range, it is a bit too "piercing". A bit substarctive EQ should nail it.

Btw I'm talking some veeeeery minor tweaks here which aren't really that neccesary at all :p

Overall I would say this is finished. Move on to next project :)

Matti

The balance sounds good overall. Nice playing even for not having a "real" structure. I enjoyed the piece. The sound is kind of sterile/Di'd sounding. It could just be the combo of the programmed drums and synth but something about the rhythm guitars is saying "Di'd" as well. Still a good sounding mix regardless.

This is an interesting piece. Things that struck me at first listening: The electronica-gong intro that sets up a surprise entry of the distorted guitars while at the same time establishing the synth in the mix, the contrasting sweet sections at 1:05 and 2:30 and the crescendo ending. I didn’t hear it as structurally formless at all. I think the intensity changes between sections gives the distinct impression a loose Rondo form (A-B-A-C-A). Liked the tightness of the rhythm all around, and the spot-on intonation of the guitarist.

Needs just a little dynamics control on different frequency ranges at different times. If you’ve got a good multiband comp, you might try a VERY gentle application of it on the mix.

Tim

i like the sound of the mix on this one, i dont really have any suggestions to offer up except maybe turn up the bass a little bit more hehe. cool sounding synth. what did you use to do the drums?

Thanks for your comments. I used Line6 Pod XT for guitars. Its a new toy for me so I´m still learning it. Drums are from Drumkit from Hell Superior. Synthsounds are from Korg Triton. Everything was played by me.

Juha

Nice sounds. I like it. Wireneck has one , (or 2), hell of an ear. I wouldn't have picked that up.
Ed

Even though I like Pod I must admit that every sound I tweak from it have typical line6 tone on it. In this song I think guitar sound in solo parts tells that guitars are recorded direct to computer.

JuhaL said:
Even though I like Pod I must admit that every sound I tweak from it have typical line6 tone on it. In this song I think guitar sound in solo parts tells that guitars are recorded direct to computer.

For me the thing that gives it away immediately is the too homogenous and sterile sound. Head and cab won't never ever sound that "clean". No matter wheter it is lead or rhythm. DI guitar is DI guitar, no matter what. Thou that isn't neccesarily a bad thing.

IMO eg for this song the DI gtrs sound infact better than real ones. All the other instruments are digital too I assume? Only thing that might benefit for being a real one is the lead gtr. But those rhythm parts kinda fits in. Blends better into a background :).

I think this is too cool a song for it to be named "song.mp3". Name it something progressive sounding! I think this is one of the better mixes I've heard around here in a while. As Wireneck said, the guitars do have a direct in sound. It's hard as hell to escape. However, I don't think they sound bad. The playing is very tight too. I don't know much about Drumkit from Hell or how to program the samples, but I think you should spend more time programming and using different snare hits so they sound more authentic.

You should be proud of this!

I am a nobody, but I am a big fan of progressive metal and I think that piece sounds great. Perhaps the guitar could sound a little more "real" but most people would never notice such a thing, the tone is still good. I think you're being pretty modest about the structure and things because you are obviously quite talented! Good Job

Man, that's a nice piece. Overall the mix is nice, tones are sweet. Others here have mentioned slight sonic tweaking here or there and I would agree. Maybe the drums/Cymbols are a little over the heavy rhythm guitar at the beginning and the lead guitar could use a boost in a few spots.

But this is very nicely done. :)

I must admit, I downloaded this song and have jammed it a few times on the way to work! I really dig it. After listening to it a little more seriously, I will tell you that the kick needs a little more oomph!, more body to it. The guitars are a little too airy and saturated (if that makes any sense)...I would love to hear it with a little more focused bite to them! Just thought I would give a little more input after having really listened, even though obviously these points don't mean it isn't good enough to listen to!

By the way, are you a big Dream Theater fan? At times it sounds like an excerpt from "Awake"...that is a big compliment by the way!

Thanks for the comments. I´ll try some small tweaks. And yes, I like Dream Theater. Awake is imo their best mixed album.

Juha

Back