Instrumental Guitar Piece (Acoustic & Electric)

amra

This is the intro for a song I recorded this weekend. I only did the recording, not the playing. Any feedback or critique on the recording is welcome!!

Last edited:
28 views and and no replies...
Does that mean it is Good? Crap?
Or just Uninspiring?
lol

If nothing else a little feedback on the production values would be good...

A.

It's just dead today - Easter Monday and everyone is "off" today.

Hopefully everyone will chime in later on when they recover from their chocolate and in-laws overload...

Listening on headphones....

- acoustic is great, really clear and clean. Good bottom end but not excessive. The pick noise was apparent although I'm not sure how you reduce that. It's kind of percussive so it might be welcome...

- electric blended well but was a smidge wetter/distant than the acoustic. I would have preferred a more up-front electric so it took charge in the mix. That's a personal choice though so take that accordingly.....

It would be nice to hear some of the signal chain on the acoustic...

:D:):D:)

Thanks for the reply!

The signal chain on the acoustic was Martin Acoustic Guitar > AKG C414-XLS > Presonus Eureka Preamp at the 12th fret, and a Studio Projects B1 >Trident 4T Preamp over the guitar players shoulder.

Both of those go straight into a Delta 1010...

Sounds ok, a lot of reverb and some boomyness on the acoustic...I'm personally not crazy about the lead guitar tone but that's a personal thing. I like the pick sound on the acoustic, and it sounds like it was recorded pretty well.

How far back from the mic were you with the acoustic? I would have liked to hear a different pick for the strumming...maybe make it sound a little more intimate. I heard what sounds like the computer fans running in the back...maybe it was something else. All in all, I liked it very much. Nicely done.

Yeah, I could see how the pick could be a little distracting, but like has been said, it does give it a little percussive feel to it. Electric tone is not my arena of expertise so I leave it to the others to mention about that. The playing of both instruments IMO are good.

Would like to hear the entire piece when it's done.

Thanks for the feedback guys...

To answer some of your questions, one mic (AKG C414) was positioned about 5 inches away from the 12th fret, the other (Studio Projects B1) was peeking over the players shoulder from behind, pointing down, so about 14 or 15 inches away from the picking hand, off-axis to the sound hole.

I guess it was pretty 'reverby', I actually scaled that back in the next mix. I tend to get a little carried away with reverb on acoustic parts of metal songs. As to the fan noise, I track in a room about 25 feet away from my control room where the closest PC would be. It could have been breathing or god knows what.
I don't know if you guys will like the rest, it somewhat abrubtly goes all "cookie-monster" vocals and heavy guitars right after the intro...lol. But if you want I will post a link to the working mix of the full song.

Back