Inside Your Head

Douhgy

I posted this one a while ago, and here is the "close to final" mix... Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

The imaging needs a bit of work...

There seems to be a multi-stepped stereo image - The guitars are very wide and nearly to the side of the listener. The drums are sitting in front of the listener and the vocals are dead center and far away from the listener.

Blending these together a bit would help the (otherwise pretty cool) mix greatly...

A bit more on the vox wouldn't hurt either... Of course, the spatial imaging is making it sound quieter than it really is...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Wow!!!

This really sounds great.............I would heed the comments from Massive Master, he knows about this stuff!
I'll limit my comment to the musical performance which IMO is superb.
All instruments are played stylishly and with a lot of taste and ability.
I think the style is kind of done to death, but thats strictly my personal opinion.
I just like to give good musicians they're due no matter what they are playing......VERY good work here.

Massive, thanks for the suggestion. I am wondering how I can back the drums up a bit, and still keep them very present in the mix. I still want to be able to hear them clearly, but not "in front"

One more question... how can I pan things so that things don't sound flat, without causing this "imaging" problem? Just bring things a little closer to the middle?

If this is on a DAW, first "Save As"

Reset all your pan controls... Try to get a nice imagine with the drums first, then mute them. Then the guitars, vocals, whatever else.

Don't go strictly for "wide" - Go for "natural" first - Then tweak while the whole mix is playing. It's basically a problem inherent with stereo panning... If a guitarist is sitting to your left, it doesn't sound anything like a guitar panned to your left, you know?

It's really not nasty or anything, It's pretty common. I've spent (let's just say a LOT of time) working on techniques during mastering to deal with just this issue. Unfortunately, it's really not something that can be tackled during the mixing stage easily. I'd say, without exaggeration, that 75-80% of the mixes I get in have imaging issues. I'm probably just more sensitive to it than most people... I'm such a picky bastard... :D

John -

Douhgy,

First of all, I think that this was very well done. Very tight...well, as tight as necessary for the style.

The guitars were very good, as were the vocals and drums.

The only thing that really stood out to me has already been mentioned. The guitars are panned a little too much. Bring them a little closer to center.

Good job...you should be proud.

Back