innagoddadavidaloca

dmcsilva

This is my 1st post to the mp3 mixing clinic. I'd like to get any and all criticism of the mix and sound that I achieved in this tune. It was inspired by a laid-back Friday afternoon at the Salvador Dali Museum. It's short and simple, and created primarily to serve as a baseline from which to make adjustments for future mixes. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by dmcsilva (edited 10-28-1999).]

Cool stuff...very ambient and spacey. The only thing about the mix that I notice is that the drums -snare and crash could use a little more uuumph; maybe tweak a little more bass into the drums to even out the highs? What kind of gear are you using?

I got some mixes that I'd like to post as well; how do you set up your own posting site on the web? Is it difficult to do?(I've got a decent ISP)

First off, thanks for the assessment. Evaluating your own mix/music is kinda like hearing the sound of your own voice. It just doesn't sound the same to you as it does to others.
As far as gear goes, the drums and the synth sounds are Fruity Loops Pro. There are 3 guitar tracks recorded direct through the POD. On one track the guitar sound happened by accident when I couldn't figure out how to disengage the global wah setting on the damn thing. However, I'm glad it happened because I think that sound lays a good foundation for the two lead parts over it. Bass is direct into a Mackie 1202VLZ which in turn runs into an SBLive. I am also using various plug-ins including Cakewalk Amp sim, Timeworks CompressorX and reverb, and it was all multi-tracked on Vegas Pro.

As far as the web page goes, I set mine up last night using cuteFTP provided by my ISP - mindspring. It took all of an hour. I found the instructions on the Mindspring website. But I only have 5 megs of space so I can only post 1 or 2 songs at a time and nothing too extensive at that. Oh well, maybe this will force me to keep my mixes simple...at least until I can afford more virtual real estate. You might also try mp3.com. I believe that they will let you upload your music for free once you register.

dmc

[This message has been edited by dmcsilva (edited 10-28-1999).]

Ahh...so that is where the drums come from. I use the old Alesis SR-16; doesn't sound too bad to the layperson, but anyone who is into recording can tell pretty easily. (but it does beat a moody, sometimes unreliable drummer).

Thanks for the info...I can't wait to put some of my stuff up on this BBS to get feedback from others.

Eventually, I want to get on MP3 but you have to put together the material like cover art, pictures, descriptions...and with all the recording going on, who has time for that!

Thanks again for the inf. And thanks to Dragon for this awesome web-site.

Bill

i got a 404 error for that page; have you moved it?

File Not Found:
The requested URL was not found on this server.
You have tried to reach a web page that is not on the MindSpring server.

usman,

I just entered in the address and it began downloading. Maybe something was up with the server when you tried.

nice sound; is it right that the bass sounds a little distorted and stereo expanded? bass sounds just right in its droning monotony but drums could use a little more variation and fill ins to accentuate the melodies played on to it, then eq the bass and snare up (cymbals are probably just right) to provide a more insistent beat. maybe a drum'n'bass rhythm? compositionally, i would like more sections where its just bass and drums, i think their "inviting" emptiness would add more tension to the melody sections. and i think it could end in a more exciting way, like maybe a build up in the various guitars, with a sudden cutoff, continuing the bass and drums by themselves for a few seconds then cutting both in mid beat. (old joy division trick i think).

which dali museum, the one in figueres?

Thanks for your input. I listened to that clip with the your drum n' bass addition. I like it. The flange gives it a completely different feel. As far as the Dali museum goes, it's the one in St. Petersburg, FL.

Back