Infiniti mp3

I listened to New Start ... nice tune ... I liked the chorus a lot ... very catchy. Even though I don't really understand what you're saying. I think it has a lot to do with the volume of the guitars. You crank em at the chorus and that's cool :) ... but the chorus-->verse transition seems too deliberate ... in that I can tell you're turning them way down. I think it would be better to accomplish the transistion with the guitar volume knob while tracking. You could then keep the guitar at relatively the same volume throughout mixdown, and it would appear "backed off" by the lack of the hardcore distortion during the verse. Just a thought ... that's more of an artistic decision than anything.
The vocal would definitely benefit from some compression. If you don't have a compressor you could try to 'ride' the fader when you mixdown so the words are a little more audible. Some of the verse lines need a little work, the vocal's out of tune in spots.
Ooh ... nasty 60Hz hum on the guitar at the break! :(
I think the keyboard-bass is a little overpowering at times. Maybe EQing out a little around 150Hz and emphasizing the upper mids a little for more attack(?) ... I dunno. Maybe it's not a freq thing.
Also, try to put each instrument in it's own space by panning. It sounds like everythings coming from dead center. I know you're only using a 4 track, but this will help the mix a lot. Sounds like there's 2 guitar tracks in there ... those would kick big time if panned hard L/R.
Anyway, thats my 2¢ ...

Downloaded New Start and Next......agree with BigK, the bass was a bit much, but it didn't sound like a keyboard to me...the vocals had some inconsistent volume..I thought BigK's panning advice was spot on the mark....these are good songs, by the way, but a little spatial feeling would be cool, and messing with eq would put a shine on 'em....the vocals were out of tune at times, and that happens to me too...that's the downside of recording...sometimes I do vocals 100 plus times to make 'em listenable and it's real work to me, which pisses me off when I'm trying to get a song up and running...but that's what it takes for my vocal attempts....enjoyed listening....gibs

This is Tom, from Infiniti, I was in charge of doing the mixdown and eq on these songs. I agree with what both of you have said. I did use a keyboard bass to record these songs, which ended up having too much bass (on some speaker configurations). When I finished up the song, I burnt it onto a CD and tested it in different CD players, boom boxes, computers, and overall it didn't sound overly bassy, so I thought it would be ok, but I guess not. I need better speakers to do these recordings on, and I think that that would make a huge difference. As to the vocals being out of tune, that, well, I have no professional training. Basically I learned how to sing in the prrocess of recording those three songs (New Start, Next, We Could Get Along). I'm saying, "Living a life of love," by the way, in New Start's chorus.

We did these recordings with a Roland SP-808 Groove Sampler. I liked how the thing functioned overall, but I ended up having to bounce tracks all over the place... What a nightmare! That *is* the reason why when I was doing eq I couldn't correct all of the problem spots. The tracks broke down like this: drums on 1, vocals on 2 & 3, guitars and bass on 4. The Groove Sampler has 3-band parametric eq for all of the tracks, but too much had been combined to really sort it out afterwards. All in all, I was mostly satisfied with the way our first 'demo' turned out. It's listen-to-able, and it gives the intended feeling. Infiniti needs to get signed and work with a group of studio professionals with professional equipment in order to really shine. We are the performers/song writers, not engineers or producers, and the amount of equipment available to us is limited. I, we, appreciate you taking the time to listen to us, and hope you continue to in the future.

Back