Industrial, Trip Hop, Indie Rock... new to the mix... advice/opinions

JoeNovice

Junior Cheeseburger
Was told this was the place to post for a mp3 response....
I try to cover lots of styles cause I have lots of emotions. i dont like doin just heavy or just happy.... I like tring them all. three styles in the subject are posted at:

http://www.mp3.com/joenovice

Now to my point....

Sometimes when I listen to other peoples mp3's they are like mine... lifeless.... that mp3 sound.. muddy, fuzzy,etc.

Other times I hear a song and it sounds crystal clear.
What do they do differently during the mix... export to mono maybe?? use more/less...???

Well... thnx
J

i dig the song a lot!!!!on my computer at work,it sounds great!!i have been downloading mp3's all day listening to all the ones ,and so far,i like yours,what can i say?anyway there is an important thread that i think you shoild read.i am still a novice at computers so,still i don't know the clicking and dragging or i am lazy,so go into mixing and mastering and go to the thread that has spinal tap in the title.there is an awesome dialogue between some great engineers talking about mastering and all the industry standards are compressing the sh*t out of al songs w/radio [play so,when aNy one in comparison,inevitably will sound really low in volume.i am having the same problem with all my mixes!they sound low.but i am glad i read the thread i speak of,because it really helped me to understand what is going on with the music out there verses the music that has dynamics.anyway the song has a great unique sound and is a breath of fresh air in a twisted kind of way .good stuff-

Thnx.... you made my day.

I just wanted to say thanks and stuff.... there are so many times i try to reach out and hear someone else's opinion and get NO feedback.... this is great.

i've been tring to learn anything i can about compression and good mixing approaches. I've also been tring to do the super-compression thing but sometimes i feel like i'm doing it too much. it's hard to tell w/ out a good listening setup. I cant say i know near as much as the guys in that thread.... but i hope to one day.

note: above i couldn't figure out why mixs sounded so crappy when streaming.... then i noticed that a lo-fi stream is mono and a much lower bit the 128 bit files i heard on download. Oh well.... there's still a lot more to learn here.

THNX...
J

I like the songs, very cool stuff. I don't hear anything really wrong with the mix except for the spoken vocal parts, which sound muffled to me most of the time. The t's and s's stand out but otherwise the vocals are lost in the mix. Good work overall.

Thnx 4 check'n it out!!

Diragor-
thnx for the encouragement & tips! I'm glad you pointed out the muffled vocal... it was really crazy tring to pitch shift using formants... (any formant experiences/tips?), get enough level, and not clip on the T's and P's.(maybe..a pop-screen would help)..... Well..back to the endless mix.-)

L8r
J

support this musician at
http://www.mp3.com/joenovice

is that a sample of boogie down productions?and do you have your own vocals on there as well?if i am right(i am not sure?)i think the inconsistency lasts within the samples.what kind of sampler vs. tracking live vocals?i thought the muffling was intentional?i just heard this weird stuff last night named cibo matta,heard it yet?some funky stuff,woops off the subject.anyway,i really did think that spoken soundbytes were intentionally subliminal like.if i am wrong,let me know.what is the sequencer/drum machine?or is that a workstation?pls let me know-later

just listened to it again.genius guitar work!!!sound like you have an understanding of composition ,mininmalism and stuff,all that good stuff.i could be wrong about the sampling though.songs too short,it barely evokes that mood you created,and cuts it too short.

Mojo you are the man!!! I live for the day when someone actually listens!!!
I'm not sure what song your talkin about when it comes to using samples. The vocals on TheCommonSeed and LacadaZical were done free form with a few punchins and then shifted down a min3. There are some vocal samples in the background and other vocalist(my girlfriend). Everything's done on a workstation. The core beats were created using FruityLoops and construction kits. After that the core beat is layered with FX/percussion/samples using ACID 2.0.

Thnx for the good words..... especially about my fretboard style. Let me know what song you think was too short... good future reference.

Thnx again Mojo
L8r
J

ok, i just listened to all the tracks!!(i thought it was just one)good stuff!!excellent!!original and unique!!the song i was speaking of was common seed.there is a song by krs 1(boogie down productions)called my philosophy,i thought maybe a coupla lines.also that is the song that could be about 3 minutes longer.all the songs create a serious kind of mood,but hey that's just what i wanna hear.sometimes it's better to leave people wanting more.i really like the interstate song. i am sure you have heARD this a lot,but you have this quality that could work well with visuals,ever think about soundtracks?i have been told this a lot when i do my cyber robot techno groove stuff,and i always wanted to get into doing soundtracks for anything and everything.i will probably move back out west to cali in a yesr,to do so,blah blah blah,anyway,you working on other priojects?the vocal stuff sounds good actually.what's the one that sounded closer to a hip hop w/ lyrics?maybelakidasical? i forget which one,but that too sounds like the right direction to also lead to!keep up the good work!!peace brutha!

Back