Indie rock marathon mixing session, perspective needed!

Bouroki

Hello! I've worked on this mix for my band all weekend long and I have no idea how it's sounding anymore :D

I think the vocals might just be a bit too clean for this style.. otherwise what do you think of the overall sound? Thanks!

UPDATED MIX (Note: You might have to open it in Soundcloud for it to work):

Last edited:
I think the bass is a bit too loud and the vocals need to be turned up a bit OR, at least pan them to the center, or both. The vocals are the protagonist in every mix and 99% of the time you want them to be sitting in the hard center of the mix just like the snare. If I'm not mistaken you have them panned like 65-70% to the right. These things combined makes the bass kind of cover the guitars and vocals when really it's supposed to be supporting them. I would also give the kick drum a small boost in the highs to give it a bit more of an attack/edge. There's no rule for this, so open up the EQ and experiment boosting different frequencies in the highs (normal or narrow Q). It sounds a bit too smooth for rock in my opinion but it might be just the way you like it. Think there is also a bit of rumble with the kick, I would add a high pass around 50hz to it if you haven't already to make sure that the sub-bass frequencies that don't serve any purpose in a mix are filtered out.

The kick is woofy and some hits cut through too much.
I don't know why but the left guitar feels like it's really far out there. Since it's a lot more active than the right one, I find that it pulls the mix to the left and distracts from the vocal, which could be louder.

Not sure why Omon thinks the vocal is panned - but it could be an effect of the (too) loud left-side guitar - panning it a little towards the center would help I think. I listened with headphones to verify. The kick and bass are very loud in the low frequencies. Some EQ (rather than volume) would help.

Very boxy and congested sounding guitar on the left. Needs some low end attention so it is clearer and less dominating. This guitar is not sufficiently balanced by an element on the right of the mix. The tone probably has a lot to do with that though. I'd get it cleaned up and then see if that is enough to give it a better place in the mix without moving the position.

Vocals are very low.

Bass could benefit from a lot more mid and upper mid content.

Really like the song from about the 2:35 to 3:14 mark. Best part of the tune by far for me. This last part should have been the basis (or should be going forward) for a full song.

Back