indie rock/folk rock band/song

donkeystyle

so the band is called moon turn the tides. i recorded them about a year, maybe a year and a half ago and the band just decided to scrap the songs we were working on. i've decided to finish mixing them.

this was a quick mix. i want to know what everyone thinks of the band/song, not that that matters too much. i'd just like to know.

also. mix wise. the vocals are loud, but i dunno it almost seems right to me. at least for this music. what do you guys honestly think? less vocals?

also what do you think of the drum mix?

there's 2 vocal tracks for each singer and a 3rd one of the guy singing quite a bit lower. i remember the main reason they lost interest was because of their vocal performance.......espesially on the lower pitched vocal.

what do you guys think of the vocals? also. the lower pitched vocal is a little off key in parts. do you think it's in an acceptable way, or should i autotune it?

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=4482/singles

The high-end on the vocals is a little too high for my tastes.
Why'd they scrap the songs? The mix/song sounds pretty good.
They might be a little loud, but they work nonetheless.
Good job.

song wise, i REALLY like this. alot. reminds me of rilo kiley a little. Some elliott smith in there too. sucks they gave it up. and the vocals i think are a little high, but not bad for "pop" mix. but definitely no autotune. It's just imperfect enough to keep it from being overproduced, but good enough to be enjoyable. honestly i'm having trouble focusing on the mix cause i like to song so much. but i think that's a good thing. good work, good band. are they still together?

well the guy.......it's a guy and his wife. anyway. at the time they did this, they were a 4 piece, the girl sang and played keys, the guy sang and played guitar, they had a bass player and they had a drummer.

the bass player and drummer were in another band at the time......although the other band wasn't nearly as good. anway. they didn't get to practice enough, and the singer started getting into other types of music and decided he wanted to play electronic folk music.

anyway. everytime i see him he shows me new stuff and i'm just blown away.....then i don't see him for a while and when i see him again, he tells me how he's become a way better song writer and he's decided to scrap the old stuff. i don't really get it. i mean he has gotten better since his band before moon turn the tides, but in my opinion he became a great songwriter in moon turn the tides and he's just continued to be great. so i guess he's evolved a bit, but mostly he's just a perfectionist.

edit: i just wanted to add that they gave up on this recording before the bass player got a chance to do bass. i think it's fine without though.

mtjames said:
song wise, i REALLY like this. alot. reminds me of rilo kiley a little. Some elliott smith in there too. sucks they gave it up. and the vocals i think are a little high, but not bad for "pop" mix. but definitely no autotune. It's just imperfect enough to keep it from being overproduced, but good enough to be enjoyable. honestly i'm having trouble focusing on the mix cause i like to song so much. but i think that's a good thing. good work, good band. are they still together?

i know he's an eliott smith fan. he's probably a rilo kiley fan too, but i don't know for sure. they would probably be flattered that you think that though.

i think they have plans to work with built to spills old cello player and a guy from portland. i don't know his real name, but he's an electronica guy and he goes by Y.A.C.H.T.

thanks for the listens guys.

man, this stuff owns...ha!

can I have the whole album? haha. AIM, email, online, i'll take it any way I can get it (if you got AIM, maybe you can send wavs...haha)? hahahaahah!

Rilo Kiley I love, and this reminds me a lot of her, as I've seen people say above here.

these guys have a website or anything either? it's soundin great. I agree the vox are a bit too loud, but still sounds fine.

EDIT:
what'd you record with? what mics on: vox, snare/kick?

Last edited:
The vocals pop out a bit at times, but overall, I really don't think they're too loud. I mix vocals pretty loudly, though, so I'm not the best source. You've done some nice work here. I'd still like a bit more low end in general in the mix, but I'm not in the greatest monitoring environment right now, so trust your good ears there.

shackrock said:
man, this stuff owns...ha!

can I have the whole album? haha. AIM, email, online, i'll take it any way I can get it (if you got AIM, maybe you can send wavs...haha)? hahahaahah!

Rilo Kiley I love, and this reminds me a lot of her, as I've seen people say above here.

these guys have a website or anything either? it's soundin great. I agree the vox are a bit too loud, but still sounds fine.

EDIT:
what'd you record with? what mics on: vox, snare/kick?

if there was a whole album, i would be more than happy to give it to you. I think we recorded for a day or 2 and we did 2 songs. when i get to mix the other one, i'll post and let everyone that's digging it know about it.

chris, i've been listening on my home stereo and in a truck and i think it has enough low end, but i think the problem might be that there's no bass guitar. i think that would fill it out a lot. but thanks for your comments. i'll definitely take them into consideration if/when i remix it.

my problem right now with mixing is that while i own a few mics and pre amps and cables, the guitar player in my band owns the computer, monitors, and converter, so i can't exactly mix whenever i feel.

about the mics/chain. the male singers vocals were through an at3035 and then through a dbx pre/compressor......i borrowed it from a friend and i can't remember the actual unit. i don't remember what i used on the second male vocal track. possibly the 3035 and a dbx mini pre, or the same chain as the first track.

i have absolutely no clue what i used on the deeper male vocal track.

the girls vocals were through some kind of groovetubes large diaphram condenser and then into the dbx pre/compressor unit. the only possible difference in her second vocal track was a dbx mini pre. i don't remember for sure though.

the compressor/preamp was used for a preamp only there's no compression on any of the vocals. i'm thinking maybe i'll leave the vocals about as loud as they are now, but compress them a bit.

the snare was a shure beta58 with the grill off.
the tom was an at3035
the kick was an atm25 and the groovetubes largediaphram about 5 foot away. with a tunnel over it made out of a blanket.
overheads were at3035's

guitar was miced with the groovetubes large diaphram about a foot away, then the beta 58 on the grill, and the atm25 in the back with the polarity reversed. the pres were 2 dbx mini pres and the dbx pre/compressor.

keys were the same as the guitar, but the groovetube mic was moved about 7 ft away and i turned the amp up really loud....i don't really know why.
just as a cool side note.........the keyboards are 2 white casio keyboards from the 80's i think they're called casiotones. they were insanely noisy.

Reactions: NL5
oh and about the website. they are no longer moon turn the tides. my plan was actually to get reviews and stuff of their music and then be like........You guys HAVE to get back together.

but the new website is theseaworthies.com, it doesn't have any music on it and it just sends you to their myspace site. i recently talked to them and they told me they'd like me to mix their new stuff, but i don't know when they're going to be ready or anything.

Mix sounds pretty good to me. But the band is fair. I'm not crazy about the singers. Not that they are bad just not appealing to me. Plain Jane music.
Kinda like not much of a hook.

r4m said:
Mix sounds pretty good to me. But the band is fair. I'm not crazy about the singers. Not that they are bad just not appealing to me. Plain Jane music.
Kinda like not much of a hook.

...i was gonna say the entire song is a hook. ha.

i like

i agree with whoever said the vox can be just a smidge bright

i like maby a little more git, not in the intro but after all the vox kick in

maby compress the snare more and then turn it up, if that dosen't bring out the hi hats too much

hell, compress the kit more, then up with the toms (i love toms)

too bad they canned it, it's good
oh, and i'd check the fade on the end to, it's kinda abrupt

Back