Indie Rock, AT 4047 on OH & Vocal

mcolling

Here's a track I just finished. My band recorded the intrumental tracks live off the floor in a local art space where we were rehearsing, and I overdubbed the vocals.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=114670#post1182613

I used AT 4047s on OHs, a 4047 on the vocal, 57s on snare and guitar cabs, and d112s on bass cab and kick, all running through cheap preamps (an Art Pro Channel, 4 DMP3s and a VTB1) into a Delta 1010 card.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Mike

Sounds really good for a live recording. I think the snare could use more 'crack'. Maybe boost the highs on the snare a touch. The toms sound sort of flat too. No tone. Probably can't do much about that with just overheads. Also, are the vocals double-tracked? Theres a weird kind of room/phase effect during the verses. Maybe thats how you want it. It just sort of stood out to me as a little off. All in all though, its very very good. :)

Good song. I like the roomy sound too. The mix sounds pretty good here but kind of heavy in the lower mids and a little muddy. Maybe that's from tracking live.

I also like the roomy sound. I think thats what my songs might be missing. I should probably start tracking my amp downstairs in my room with wide open space :D.

It sounds pretty good though I like it. Id be happy. The vocals can come up a little bit imo.

Good job.
Dave

ps - did you do any guitar overdubs? you have a pretty full guitar sound how did you accomplish this? Just two guitars pan one 50 percent left and 50 percent right?

thanks!

I did double the guitar track, then panned the two tracks hard. that and vocals were the only overdubs.

Good mix, my good man! Excellent for a live performance.

I agree with the above about the snare-- Although it's audible it lacks a bit of 'thwack' (how do you describe sound? :)).

I don't agree on the toms though, I rather like a flat sound to them, and here they seem to fit the music well.

Good work!

Something sounds really weird about the vocals, but that is my only complaint. I think the snare is fine for this song, maybe a little too fat sounding but I don't think it really needs a heavy high end. I like the general 70s dead sound of the kit. Cool guitar lines and use of two guitars, I'm liking the busy arrangement on this type of song. You guys are really good.

Ben

Hey thanks dude!

What you hear in the vocals is the scratch track in the background. We tracked without headphones or anything and i sang into a PA, so that bled into the OHs (a bit too much). In the third verse it gets really bad because i am singing something different...

Mike

Back