Indie Rock

spankenstein

We just started on an EP last night and this is the first run through. The performance is rough in a few places so we're going to re-track it but I think we were all happy with the sound.

The intro is kind of long but worth it I think.

I'm not entirely happy with the vocal sound so I'll probably experiment with that.

Technical info.

M-Audio Delta 1010LT
2 on card pres and a Behringer mixer
SONAR 3

Oktava MK012s in a spaced pair for overheads.
SM57 on snare
ATM25 on kick
Nady DM70 on tom

Left guitar is a Tele -> Blues Driver -> Peavey Express 112 miced with an AT814

Right guitar is a Tele -> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe miced with an Oktava MK319

Bass is a Squier Bronco with a humbucker from a Les Paul direct in.

Vocals are through a MK319

Nice job, spank. Yes, the intro is long - but plenty of other songs have long intro's. It's bad news for a demo - takes too long to make an impact - but if it's your artistic decision then it's valid. The instrumental breaks did feel a little over long for my taste, however.

Guitar playing very good and I thought it was well recorded. I'm listening on headphones so the hard panning is kind of weird, guess it would be less so on speakers. Drumming was very heavy on cymbals (that's a BIG issue in my band at the moment). Bass playing didn't stand out but was solid.

Now, the vocals. The singer can sing. He needs to know that he can. I sense a lack of confidence, a lack of projection. Maybe get him quieter in his headphones to get him to push a little more?

Anyway, for what it's worth, some thoughts for you to accept or reject as you choose.

This is a good clean recording, to my ears. I like the 2 guitars, and the intro is good. About the mix, I think the vocals need to come up over everything else. They are way too low. About the song, I think you need another section, like a break or bridge, something really instrumental, featuring the 2 guitars. Just to break it up a bit more. But what you have is good. About the performance, I think the drums need some work, more practice time with this song. He is really close, but sounds as little loose and sloppy. He seems to be following, not driving. I want to hear him play with more confidence. and Great job so far !

Thank a lot for the comments. We were all a little loose last night.

The intro works well live because it's after another song and the one guitar starts the intro while the others are holding the last note out and there's usually like a spoken intro. I'm thinking it doesn't translate well ;)

What specifically is distractingly panned? I haven't listened on headphones but my monitors aren't positioned as wide as I would like them so I don't think I get the separation that would make "a little go a long way" in that regard.

As far as the vocals (that's me also) I'm bad about keeping them hot because I never think I have a good vocal sound. It's like it's missing something but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Good tunage spank. I like it. Nice clean sound.

In the soft spoken part, I would bring the guitar parts up, just a hair. Not much mind you.

I thought the vocals sound good. The lack a little confidence though. Don't worry, you sound fine. Belt them out.

I would however do the entire thing again just due to performance reasons. The drums should be more of a driving force like it was mentioned.

Hi again Spank. It was just on headphones - sounded like the two guitars were panned very hard L and R. As I said, could well be fine on speakers.

Hangdawg reinforced what I said about the vocals. You'll get a much better sound when you push your voice a bit harder. As I said, you can sing so believe it.

I listened to it again after my last post and I really do like it:)

hey spank..

I also like it...I like the intro once it kicks in a lot and the main riff, it's got a good rock'n feel to it....I do have to agree w/skleen, I think it feels like the drummer is following the guitars quite a bit...and I don't really care for the beat he is playing in the verse (or what I'd call the verse anyways)....

I'll also agree that the vox could come up a bit...and I hate to beat on a dead horse, but I'll agree that you just need to let it rip when you sing...other than that, I think the mix sounds good....

I'm also listening through headphones, and I agree it sounds like the guitars are panned hard...but in a way the speration is kinda neat since the parts complement each other really well, I always think panning like 60% makes for a good thick guitar sound though (I'm generally dealing w/straight power chord rhythm guitars though)...

good recording though, overall I liked it....

keep it up...

I like the hard panning with the guitars. It reminds me of a bunch of indie stuff I have been listening to latley. It seems like indie and *gasp* emo (I hate stupid music lables) use lots of one note guitar riffs hard panned. I am new to this so I do not feel comfortable critique your mix. I like it though...Cool.

c-ya
dave

ps-I am trying to change my nick name here :p anyone know how? Let me know.

i also listen to a lot of stuff that's really hard panned. i dont think it's a problem.

i agree with everyone else about the singing and the volume of the vocals. they definitely seem a little buried.

I dont think you can change your name.

Very good job on the recording with relatively inexpensive gear. I like the snare and guitars. The vocal is definately the weakness...great drum sound!

Yeah... it wasn't intentional.The verse/intro are just extensions of the main riff (the bouncy section before each verse). Was completely not intentional. I'm not even a big MASH fan.

Back