Indie/pop/rock band.. comments?

geet73

OMG!
I made a thread about this a couple months ago... but here are the final versions. There are two other songs on here that weren't before. The third is becoming my favorite. It's mainly in seven and it's supposed to be sung by a robot. They wanted to do some interesting things in that song. Heh. I would say that this is probably my best work and I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Does anyone have any criticisms for me?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.thepremier.outburst8.com/Junk/BSD/Backseat Driver Final/

Track 1 - A straight forward rock song.
Track 2 - An acoustic song.
Track 3 - A more experimental song.
Track 4 - Kind of a chilled out rock song.
Track 5 - A song with a big build-up kinda deal.
Track 6 - 11 second joke track.

Only had a chance to listen to the first tune so far. Nice tune. The "S"s on vocals are a little hot at times and during the hook of the song I wasn't able to make out all of the words...perhaps the Rhodes style piano was a little to loud and taking away the vocal. It also sounded like the tempo may have increased a little within the first 30 seconds or so of the song, but everything followed it. Nice job.

the acoustic song is reallllly good. the recording and the actual song. how did you record the acoustic guitar?

ahj said:
the acoustic song is reallllly good. the recording and the actual song. how did you record the acoustic guitar?

Thanks.

The guitars and mandola were recorded live. A Studio Projects B1 was on the guitar in the left, and a pair MXL 991s were on the other guitar and mandola. Vocals were tracked through a Studio Projects B1. The banjo and shaker were also the B1. My preamps were on a Behringer DDX 3216. Interface is a Terratec Phase 88.

DALtune, I need to pay a bit more attention to those Ss. They get a little too much sometimes. The band doesn't seem to mind, though. Eh.

I just listened to your songs and i must say, "they kick arse"

You need to get these babies out for sale, which i will buy.

Have you ever heard of a Canandian band named "Klaatu", if you havent, you might want to check them out.

I just had to let you know how much these songs touched me. very nice work.

What were these songs recorded with, if you dont mind sharing?

House Divided - great keyboards in this. I love the vocal treatment on this but I'm not fussy about the "breathing in" sounds, they seem too loud. Can you bring those down at all? That really is a cool build-up there. What are the instruments/effects on the build up?

on 2. i like,but the pans are buggin me. hearing al voices in the center and the guitars panned so much, makes me dizzy, i'd rather hear some more power w/ some acoustics centered and voices panned, but that's jus me, imho. otherwise tho, darn good. nice crisp recording.

ido1957 said:
House Divided - great keyboards in this. I love the vocal treatment on this but I'm not fussy about the "breathing in" sounds, they seem too loud. Can you bring those down at all? That really is a cool build-up there. What are the instruments/effects on the build up?

The part before the buildup has two cellos an octave apart, harmonized vocals, and a bass drum roll with an impact on the downbeat. Then a distorted bass and beat boxing come in. The high pitched things are super autotuned vocals just faded in and out.

I cut some of the vocals out for them after I posted this.

Thanks.

warcloud3 said:
I just listened to your songs and i must say, "they kick arse"

You need to get these babies out for sale, which i will buy.

Have you ever heard of a Canandian band named "Klaatu", if you havent, you might want to check them out.

I just had to let you know how much these songs touched me. very nice work.

What were these songs recorded with, if you dont mind sharing?

They're not my songs. Ha. I wish.

The band is called Backseat Driver. They just sent the stuff out to be pressed and they'll have the CDs sometime after March 17th. If you want to get in touch with them about a CD or just to let them know how awesome they are... http://www.myspace.com/backseatdriverpa.

For the recording:

My equipment is budget stuff. I'll list the mics and what they were used on.

SM57s/58s - Snare, toms.
D112 - Kick drum.
MXL 991s - Acoustic guitars, mandola, OHs.
Studio Projects B1 - Vocals, acoustic guitar, banjo, claps, shaker, cello, tamborine.
EV635A - Guitar amp and my out of tune piano that's buried in the break of Goodbye Blue Monday.

Bass was direct through a Tech 21 Bass Driver. Electric guitar was through a Carvin X100B into a Vox 2x12 cab. Keyboard sounds were mainly though a Korg Triton Le. "A House Divided" is a real piano recorded by the band with just an SM57. My room is 13'x15'x8', untreated. It "works". My preamps are on a Behringer DDX3216. My interface is a Terratec Phase88. I used mainly freeware plugins. The K(I can't spell the name) Classic series plugs get a lot of use from me.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Thank you for replying. I'm glad you liked the band. They're a talented group of kids. (The oldest is 19.)

Back