Indie Classic Rock mix for critique.

I like it. It reminds me of John Mayer. The guitars sound good. I would bring the vocals up a little. Drums too. Is it too long? I started to not pay attention at the half-way mark...

yeah, I agree. I actualy think the drums sound fine, but the vocals are a little light. Good song, good mix, as far as my ears can tell

Way too long. Mix sounds good though. like mentioned already, maybe bring the drums and vocals up a hair. Overall sounds good though. :)

do the vox sustaining out at the end sound okay? That word was originally way shorter, but I had to edit it to be about twice as long as per last minute, post tracking artist request. I don't think it sounds 100% natural, but hopefully it doesn't sound bad enough to be distracting.

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
do the vox sustaining out at the end sound okay? That word was originally way shorter, but I had to edit it to be about twice as long as per last minute, post tracking artist request. I don't think it sounds 100% natural, but hopefully it doesn't sound bad enough to be distracting.

Sounds good here. Can you explain how you did that? Did you just copy and paste as necessary? I can think of a couple of times when knowing how to do that would have came in handy.

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
Sounds real enough to me. How'd you do it? Time stretch?

TravisinFlorida said:
Sounds good here. Can you explain how you did that? Did you just copy and paste as necessary? I can think of a couple of times when knowing how to do that would have came in handy.

melodyne makes it VERY easy. It does pitch shifting but can also do quantizing and change the length of notes, it's amazing. When I stretched it out the natural vibrato of his voice sounded really, really weird and you could totally tell it was slowed down, but there are tools in melodyne for changing the amount of vibrato and correcting pitch drift that made it sound acceptable.

I don't know how I would have done it without melodyne, because there was a pretty major drift in pitch during the length of the sustained note, and when I tried to copy/paste to get it done there was an obvious jump in pitch for every pasted section. Although I don't like pitch shifting except on very specific off notes that really detract from the song, I think Melodyne is 10 times more useful than Autotune from what I've tried of that.

I'm listening on laptop speakers and overall it sounds good. I agree with everyone else, the vocals are a little buried by the guitars. Great guitar playing and good sounds by the way. Reminds me of Jason Falkner a little bit.

Sounds very nice, well produced but maybe a little too wimpy. I'd like to hear some of those guitars really rip through sometimes but maybe that's just me. Well performed and very polished sounding. It could maybe use a bit more punch in the mids to give it more energy. That could end up being a mastering thing though.

surfmaster said:
what was the signal chain for guitars? they sound amazing.

Fender Blues Jr. 1x12 tube amp
Les Paul Jr. guitar
One of the 3 guitar tracks may have been a telecaster, can't remember though.

Shure SM57 Unidyne III model (old model before they were made in mexico)
Chandler TG2 preamp
Mytek 96khz AD converter

not a whole lot of EQ, and I think I buss compressed the guitars for like 1db GR with the UAD-1 LA2A plugin.

It sounds pretty close to how the amp sounded in the room.

Its a really good song but I think using the time stretch really took away from the depth and clarity you could have gotten from tracking it the right way in the first place. Also there are a few points where the time is a little off and crazy idk if anyone else picked up on that or maybe it was just me having a flashback. The guitars in the beginning dont really come in on time with the drums, it kinda sounds weird.

But it really is a good song. and a good mix at that. Fix the vocals its worth it.

Dave

GOOD GOOD GOOD but the confessional vocals need a) de essing & b) something like the antress "analoguer" - close vocal setting to bring it closer - or maybe a blockfish setting.
Doesn't sound Mayer to me - which is good 'coz I can't stand his sound.
Well played & recorded.
Good melody tooooo.

I like this a lot, who's the band? Dudes' vocals in the beginning sound like Ben Gibbard, but not as a good.. a little bit like The Jealous Sound too. Great mix, man.

Back