I'm working on a re-mix. Any better?

FoulPhil

This is mostly for practice purposes. I think the new one is a little more clear and has more attack than the original mix. Is the new one any better and what suggestions can you offer?

Original

New

The instruments aren't playing in time with each other. That's all I have to offer. You really need to get that right.

It sounds off time? I don't think that's possible as I'm the human metronome :thumbs up:

Errrr..... no. :D It's miles off, and the mix doesn't help as the off-time guitars are drowning out the on-time drums. :D Or it might be the other way round. It doesn't sound as remotely concerted as it should be.

Did you listen to more than 10 seconds? lol

Do I need more than ten seconds to spot that the instruments aren't playing in time with each other? Don't go on the defensive, sort it out! :D

Try listening to this mix at a quiet volume on headphones. All the timing errors are really obvious when you aren't saturating your eardrums at massive volumes.

Do I need more than ten seconds to spot that the instruments aren't playing in time with each other? Don't go on the defensive, sort it out! :D

Try listening to this mix at a quiet volume on headphones. All the timing errors are really obvious when you aren't saturating your eardrums at massive volumes.

I'm not on the defensive lol, but umm yeah you need to listen to more than 10 seconds so you can hear that although it is an unconventional intro it is indeed on time. The volume doesn't play a role in this.

I'm not on the defensive lol, but umm yeah you need to listen to more than 10 seconds so you can hear that although it is an unconventional intro it is indeed on time. The volume doesn't play a role in this.

Phil it is not in time. It's all over the place. I've listened to the song all the way through and the timing errors are obvious. If you can't hear them, then I'm out of here and you can ignore my criticisms, for better or worse. But if you go forward with this, somebody more "qualified" will point out exactly the same thing to you, at some point. See ya.

Phil it is not in time. It's all over the place. I've listened to the song all the way through and the timing errors are obvious. If you can't hear them, then I'm out of here and you can ignore my criticisms, for better or worse. But if you go forward with this, somebody more "qualified" will point out exactly the same thing to you, at some point. See ya.

ok I'll take your word for it lol.

Mr Po's right. It's got timing issues. Yes, the drum part involves dragging the beat in certain sections, but you've gotta drag the beat r-i-g-h-t. This one doesn't do it. Look, I'm not boasting (cuz it wasn't me playing the drums) but check out the drum part in the last tune I put up here called 'history'. Greg drummed it, and he did a good job of dragging the beat toward the end of each verse. It works. Check it.

Yeah I can't really re-track or anything right now. The guitar I use for down tune stuff has a Floyd Rose Tremolo, but one of the cheaper versions and I done wore that shit out. So, now I have to order a Floyd Rose original before I can really do anything. I knew the song was a little weird, but I didn't think it was off time. I guess some things about it aren't working. No one had mentioned it, but thanks for giving a listen. I'll have to put more thought into the drums.

Perhaps I'm just not familiar enough with the genre or any requirements for ultra tight editing or whatnot, but can someone please point out the timing problems to me, perhaps down to a few seconds to focus on? I'd like to be able to pick up on this, but right now I'm not hearing a problem (again, this is not a genre of music that I critically listen to daily). Thanks.

Perhaps I'm just not familiar enough with the genre or any requirements for ultra tight editing or whatnot, but can someone please point out the timing problems to me, perhaps down to a few seconds to focus on? I'd like to be able to pick up on this, but right now I'm not hearing a problem (again, this is not a genre of music that I critically listen to daily). Thanks.

Yeah I don't hear it off time either. There's some purposely used off beat drumming, but it's not off time to the metronome. Some of the riff changes also could have tighter drum fills/rolls. Some of the changes aren't ideal. I'm not a drummer so I just kind use something that's "close enough" if I can't find the perfect fill. That's kind of the challenge or figuring out how to make it work. I thought it was pretty tight sounding myself although not your typical arrangement.

The main one that stuck out to me was at 0:52. The chugs come out of that little flourish in the wrong rhythm. It does it again a bit later. If you meant it that way, it sounds weird. :D

I'm the human metronome

I have this name copyrighted (or trademarked, whichever makes sense). You owe me $1.50 every time you use it. We'll wait until you hit $1000 to settle up so you save on wire transfer fees.

I remember this song. I believe I suggested you take the riff around :43 and the one at 2:30 and just make a song using the two. It's that kind of brilliant advice that makes people take me seriously as a musician.

I like the sound of the remix better.

I have this name copyrighted (or trademarked, whichever makes sense). You owe me $1.50 every time you use it. We'll wait until you hit $1000 to settle up so you save on wire transfer fees.

I remember this song. I believe I suggested you take the riff around :43 and the one at 2:30 and just make a song using the two. It's that kind of brilliant advice that makes people take me seriously as a musician.

I like the sound of the remix better.

:laughings:

I told him he should sing it a little less guttural and make it a bit more "yodely" . He told me to eff off.

:laughings:

I told him he should sing it a little less guttural and make it a bit more "yodely" . He told me to eff off.

Hey Phil, just because every song you like contains lyrics describing the mutilating of nuns and Peace Corps volunteers doesn't mean you have to be mean to people!

FP,
The intro drum roll is anonymous. It needs to be more definite or louder, or have more attack or something.
I'd have liked a more defined an clear bass.
You enjoy the old Tibetan Throat Singing don't you?

Back